All About YA discussion

Salt to the Sea
This topic is about Salt to the Sea
BOTM Archives > February BOTM: Salt to the Sea

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin Lynn (new) - added it

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
This February we'll be reading Salt to the Sea as one of our Books of the Month. Feel free to start discussions, ask questions, and just leave general updates.

All I ask is that you use HTML to hide your spoilers so that we aren't ruining the book for others. You can do this by clicking the (some html is ok) link right above the comment box!

message 2: by Sophie (last edited Feb 19, 2017 02:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophie | 139 comments I read this book last year and LOVED it. I have been really getting into historical fiction the last couple of years and this was a beautiful story based on real events. I love that historical fiction kickstarts my research into a certain topic. I was fascinated by the story of the Wilhelm Gustloff. Something I knew nothing about before reading this book. Historical fiction is so important so that we don't forget what happened in the past.

The characters in this story were so great. The quick paced short chapters worked really well for me and I loved the title too. So perfect. I didn't realise Between Shades of Gray is set in the same world and has a character that appears in both (or is just mentioned, I'm not sure because I haven't read Between Shades of Gray yet.) Apparently you should probably read Between Shades of Gray first? Oops.

I'd recommend watching polandbananasbooks's Booktalk/Interview thing with Ruta Sepetys if you've read the book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4u8E... I loved hearing Ruta talking about how she wrote and researched the book and what she thinks of the characters etc.

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea (andreaocampo) | 2 comments This book shows the brutality of the second World War through the eyes of four characters that have embedded themselves in your mind and heart that it is difficult to let go. Dark, yet full of heart, Sepetys shows the desperation, the pain, the suffering during these dark days through sentences webbed together to create a masterful work called Salt to the Sea.

Here's my review! https://filmsanatomy.wordpress.com/20...