All About YA discussion

Series Reads > Series Reads: Anna and the French Kiss

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
Come join us as we read this adorable trilogy of books by Stephanie Perkins.

It all starts with Anna and the French Kiss as she leaves her home for boarding school in Paris, France, and then follows a group of characters all over the world as they fall in love.

Feel free to leave comments below, but be courteous and please don't spoil anything in case we have members in here who haven't read the books yet. :)

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments Aw yay! this series is so cute, if you haven't read it already, you'll love it!

message 3: by Erin Lynn (new)

Yay! I'm glad you're happy. This is a one of my favorite series, and I thought it would be a nice light read to get us back in the groove of things around here.

message 4: by Erin Lynn (new)

Okay... First things first...

Who here has read Anna and the French Kiss and the rest of the books (Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After)?

I've read all three, and Anna and Isla are definitely my favorite books in the series, but I LOVE Lola as a character. She's got some unexpected spunk!

message 5: by Erin Lynn (new)

Who's reading? I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a reread next week!

message 6: by Erin Lynn (new)

Discussion Questions:
(Keep in mind that we aren't spoiling anything in the books!)

Anna and the French Kiss
Questions that could be answered any time - before, during, or after reading...
1. What would your teenage self (whether you are a teenager or an adult) do if you were suddenly told that you were going to boarding school in Paris (or any other foreign city)? Would you be pleased, excited, mad, etc.?
2. Has anyone ever been to Paris? What places and sights would they recommend Anna see? OR What places in Paris are you dying to see?

During Reading Questions...
1. Who is your favorite character?
2. Is there any one specific character with whom you identify? Who? Why do you see a little bit of that character in yourself?
3. What do you think of St. Clair? Are you drawn to him like many of the girls at SOAP, or is he just "meh" to you?
4. What's your favorite moment in the book?

PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF OTHER READERS, AND HIDE YOUR SPOILERS WITH HTML. [The (some html is ok) link above will help you.]

message 7: by Daisy (last edited Feb 19, 2017 12:36PM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Ooh, this is so cool! I read Anna a million years ago and I've been looking for an excuse to read the other two - so I'll read those along with you guys! I'll give the discussion questions for Anna a try...

1. Um, I'd probably kill someone. :D Seriously though, I'd feel shocked and scared but I'd try and give it a fair shot. I mean Paris, I'm not complaining! On second thought I can't speak French so that would be an issue...

2. Nope, never been - I definitely want to someday though! It's funny actually but because in Anna they mentioned The Hunchback of Notre-Dame and why Victor Hugo wrote it, I looked it up and ended up reading it last year. A very interesting read, and I'd love to go to Notre Dame now one day, so thanks Stephanie Perkins, I guess!

I like the during reading questions so I'm gonna answer those too...

1. I liked the whole boarding school friend group; Josh, Rashmi and Meredith in particular. I could relate to Meredith and she was a great friend, Rashmi seemed like a really cool girl and Josh was super funny so I don't know who if I had to pick one.

2. Oh, I guess I'd go Meredith for this one. I remember when Anna arrived she made the effort to comfort her and try and make a friend which I think I'd do, but she had her own insecurities and stuff as well. Anna was also really relatable though - I can see myself going through a lot of the same thoughts as her if I were in her situation.

3. Yeah, he was sort of "meh" for me. The whole thing about him (view spoiler) really turned me off him to be honest, but he seems like a pretty nice guy overall.

4. Hmm, I read it a long time ago so nothing in particular springs to mind. I know there were a lot of moments I enjoyed though.

Really excited for this read-along and to finally get these books off my tbr!

message 8: by Erin Lynn (new)

Daisy wrote: "Ooh, this is so cool! I read Anna a million years ago and I've been looking for an excuse to read the other two - so I'll read those along with you guys! I'll give the discussion questions for Anna..."

Love your answers, Daisy!

Like you, I can't speak French, but I don't think I'd pass up a free trip to Paris!

message 9: by Erin Lynn (new)

How's everyone liking Anna and the French Kiss?

By the way, has anyone listened to the audio of it? I don't listen to audiobooks too often, but I'm curious about this one.

message 10: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen | 2 comments I love this series honestly, it's amazing.

message 11: by Erin Lynn (new)

Today is March 1, which means it's time to start Lola and the Boy Next Door!

message 12: by Erin Lynn (new)

Yasmeen wrote: "I love this series honestly, it's amazing."

Yay! I'm so glad you love it! Which is your favorite book?

message 13: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 388 comments Mod
I just download the entire series on to my Nook, hoping to get started on it sometime this month. Will be a little behind on the readings though, because I need to finish some other books, and I have school and homework that keep me pretty busy.

message 14: by Erin Lynn (new)

I know what you mean! I have a TBR list of about 20 right now. Oops!

message 15: by Janessa (new)

I'm trying to be good this year and only read one book at a time, not counting textbooks, of course, instead of reading like 10 books has I have tried to do in the past.

message 16: by Allison (new)

Allison | 15 comments I'm a little late for this but I still wanted to answer the questions. I've read both Anna and Lola, I just need to read the last one now. This series is so cuteeee!
1. I would be terrified and excited and nervous all at once. I don't know french so I would probably study as much as I could but would probably still suck at saying hello.
2. I've always wanted to visit the palace of Versailles- can you even visit there?

1. Anna. Though I loved most of the characters in the book.
2. Hmm, I think Anna. We just seemed to think similarly.
3. Well there were certain things he did that pissed me off. But mostly I do think he was a good guy. I do like that he wasn't shown as a prince charming the whole time and that we got to see his faults (even if he sucked for part of the book.)
4. What's your favorite moment in the book? All the happy cheesy moments (I'm a sucker for happiness and cheese)

Crisanda (Sapphire) | 2 comments Erin Lynn wrote: "By the way, has anyone listened to the audio of it? I don't listen to audiobooks too often, but I'm curious about this one."

I did listen to the audiobook, and I didn't love the voice initially, but it grew on me.

I read this series thanks to this group. I thought it would be nice to read something romantic during Valentines', but always thought the whole France thing would be too clichéd. I mean, Paris is not the only romantic place in the world! But I liked Anna and the French Kiss so much, I started the next book immediately after, and now I've finished all 3 way before schedule. I liked book 3 the best. I thought the character arcs in that book were incredible. I know I'm late, but I want to answer the questions anyway.

1. What would your teenage self (whether you are a teenager or an adult) do if you were suddenly told that you were going to boarding school in Paris (or any other foreign city)? Would you be pleased, excited, mad, etc.?
I think I would be nervous and excited. It would feel like an adventure! But I don't know French and I'm terrible at learning new languages, so the whole idea might be quite disastrous.

2. Has anyone ever been to Paris? What places and sights would they recommend Anna see? OR What places in Paris are you dying to see?
I have never been abroad (I live in India), but I really want to! Though, France has never been much of a priority for me, esp because of the language. And, like I said, I always thought it would be clichéd. But Anna and the French Kiss really made me want to visit France!

1. Who is your favorite character?
Meredith! I'd love to have a friend like her.

2. Is there any one specific character with whom you identify? Who? Why do you see a little bit of that character in yourself?
I think I identified with Anna in some instances. With some of her insecurities. But I really identified with Isla from book 3. Bookish with limited but great friends? Check. Doesn't have her whole life mapped out? Check.

3. What do you think of St. Clair? Are you drawn to him like many of the girls at SOAP, or is he just "meh" to you?
I wasn't really drawn to him (maybe it would ne different if we'd met in person?), but I loved that he was super confident and charming but not conceited.

4. What's your favorite moment in the book?
Umm. Nothing immediately jumps to mind, but there were a lot of bits that I liked. Like how he takes her to Point Zéro and the whole sympolism of it.

message 18: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
So I started Lola a couple of days ago and I'm about 100 pages through. I'd forgotten how easy these books are to read, though I have to admit I'm starting to get slightly exasperated with all the melodrama. From the title and just the way things are going I think it's pretty predictable what's going to happen, so I'm not really sure how it's going to fill another 250 pages.

I've heard that Lola's meant to be a really quirky and unusual main character, and right now to be honest I've been slightly disappointed with her. Sure, her outfits are crazy, but underneath she seems like an ordinary girl, very similar to many I've already seen in this genre, and actually to Anna from the first book. Hopefully she'll come more out into her own as the story progresses.

One thing I do like is how Lola's parents are done. I knew she had two dads and that it was apparently a great same-sex parents representation beforehand, and so I was expecting these perfect, completely supporting, warm parents. Turns out they're not exactly that - they disagree with Lola sometimes as all parents do, and she sometimes resents them as all teenagers do. It's a realistic representation, not a perfect one, which I think is way more important. Thanks to this book for making me realise that! ;)

Anyway, that's just some scattered thoughts I've had so far. What do you guys think of it?

message 19: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I finished Lola a week or so ago. Must say I didn't like it as much as Anna - though I think with both I found the middle quite tedious. I feel like the romance genre isn't really for me - since you usually know who's going to end up together, through all the turmoil in the middle I can't help thinking just get on with it!! Does anyone else ever feel like this? If there had been more side storylines with other characters I think I would've been more engaged, but yeah. Interested to see what others think - did you prefer the first book or the second?

message 20: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Couple of chapters into Isla now - anyone else reading this month?

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne C. | 1 comments I'm still stuck at page 40 of this book due to my hectic sched ugh. Gotta finish this real soon.

message 22: by Erin Lynn (new)

Anne wrote: "I'm still stuck at page 40 of this book due to my hectic sched ugh. Gotta finish this real soon."

I know what you mean! I was hoping to reread them, but I haven't had a chance between all my jobs and stuff at home. :/

message 23: by Erin Lynn (new)

Daisy wrote: "Couple of chapters into Isla now - anyone else reading this month?"

How are you liking Isla?

message 24: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I already have a couple of issues with it but I am enjoying it. Struggling to find time to read it like you guys, but I think I'll be more free next week to hopefully marathon and finish it.

message 25: by Daisy (last edited Apr 30, 2017 04:23AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Finished Isla a few days ago - got impatient with it at times as I always do with Romance books, but there were some cool parts, and overall I'd say this was my favourite of the series. I loved the travelling and exotic locations, Isla's relationship with her sisters (being close to my own sisters I always love seeing this in books) and the relationship being established early on rather than that being the climax worked much better for me as a format. I find you get cuter moments between the love interests without so much angst and it felt like a breath of fresh air from most romance books I've read. Interested to hear what others' fave book of the series is, and why? :)

message 26: by Erin Lynn (new)

Daisy wrote: "Finished Isla a few days ago - got impatient with it at times as I always do with Romance books, but there were some cool parts, and overall I'd say this was my favourite of the series. I loved the..."

I think it's my favorite, too. I love how there are three huge cities in the book - New York, Paris, and Barecelon. I didn't expect that at first, so it was fun for me.

message 27: by Janessa (new)

I recently finished Lola and the Boy Next Door. I loved it! Lola was so cute, and I loved her two dads, nice to see a story with a gay couple trying to raise a teenager. And Cricket was cute, and so sweet to everyone. I got a little teary eye at the end, when they went to the dance, happy tears:)

message 28: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 1 comments I'm a bit behind, but I just finished Anna and the French Kiss and have requested Lola and the Boy Next Door from my library.

I loved Anna!! I read it in two days (don't you love how easy it is to get through YA novels?)