Dare to Dream discussion

Dark Matter
This topic is about Dark Matter
Seasonal Reading Challenges > Winter Group Read 2017: Dark Matter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Christine | 734 comments This is my first time starting a thread so I hope I'm doing it right!

This group read goes thru February 28, 2017 but we always welcome comments after the end date.

I am about a third of the way through. The book reads fast and is intriguing. I can't wait to figure out how it all works.

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 2526 comments Mod
Yep. You posted perfectly.

Fred (fredderoche) Christine, I had just finished the book at the end of January.
It may make you think of a famous Christmas movie....

I loved Dark Matter :-)
Who else is currently reading or recently read Dark Matter?
I'm going to be reading Blake Crouch's Wayward Pines Trilogy soon - sounds really good. I'm rather impressed with the author.

Christine | 734 comments I'm loving this book and its giving me so much to think about. I will comment more when I finish it.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Got done with work early enough to check out the copy from the library. Hoping to start it tomorrow. Looking forward to reading it and every ones comments.

Rachel | 2889 comments Starting it tonight.
:D

This is a book I'm gonna want to re-read again and again :-) probably every year.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Finished it. Enjoyed it. What an adventure!!

Christine | 734 comments I loved it too. I kind of had an anxiety attack when all those Jason's turned up.

So here's my question to you. If given the opportunity, would you keep the life you have now, or change it?

message 11: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thank you Christine :-) I love anything with time travel or alternate realities. I believe in parallel universes as represented in Dark Matter. There may be other versions of ourselves living out significantly different or quite similar lives. It's very intriguing to think about.

I think to some extent we each have the ability to change our the life - and that's what the novel was really pointing out. The challenge to live the best version of ourselves or find a balance in all our choices to live happiest.

As I read time travel books I think about the paradox. There are certain events or choices that I think "of course I would do that differently". However, significant events and choices shape who we are. We become the sum total of choices and if we were to go back and change a significant event, it changes part of who we are today. I have come to realize that it's important to make peace with my past, learn from the past and use wisdom to go forward creating the future I most desire.

message 12: by Christine (last edited Feb 16, 2017 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine | 734 comments I completely agree with you on the point of the novel, the challenge to live the best version of ourselves and to share it with others. Don't miss the opportunities to honor the relationships that you hold dear. I think that is the source of my happiness. Its also where I draw strength from when tough times come around. I wouldn't change anything in my life, good or bad. Another thing I agree with Dustin on, my choices have made me who I am and where I am today.

Its obvious you have given a lot of thought to this subject. You are very wise, Dustin Crazy little brown owl.

Thanks Christine :-)

I do a lot of thinking.
I try to learn from the past as well as from others.

I am currently reading The Wayward Pines Trilogy by Blake Crouch and I plan to watch Season One of the television series soon.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Major events I wouldn't change. There are some little things that I do regret. Living an hour and a half away from Devils Tower and never visiting it before we moved from the area. Not leaving work early to see The Presidents of the United States perform a concert at Mount Rushmore Silly little things, but for some reason those two small things stick in my mind some 20 yrs later.

I have learned from the past. Make it a point to take off work to see my sons Christmas concerts and any other events that he might have.

I was getting nervous with all those Jasons also!!

Great conversation! Great group of friends!!

Where did you live Danell? South Dakota?

Rachel | 2889 comments Did anyone else get confused by the multiple Jasons? Were they all from the same Chicago as the narrator? I guess multiple Jasons from the same Chicago occurred when he got kidnapped?

So would anyone have a different job in a different universe? :) if there is such a thing I hope I own a bookstore in one of them lol :)

Hope you enjoy the Wayward Pines trilogy, Dustin! I loved all three of those books. :)

Yes it seems all those Jasons were branched off of the narrator. They were the same Jasons until the point that they entered that tunnel thing and had different experiences opening different doors.

Rachel, regarding your bookstore in an alternate reality (or this one in the future):
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Rachel, regarding your bookstore in an alternate reality (or this one in the future):
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin"

YES! :D

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Yes it seems all those Jasons were branched off of the narrator. They were the same Jasons until the point that they entered that tunnel thing and had different experiences opening different doors."

Thank you for clarifying :) just wanted to be sure I actually understood what was happening, lol :)

At least that's how I understood it - that is why they were all so desperate to be with Daniela.

Well, so far living in Wayward Pines seems an awful lot like living in Utah.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Where did you live Danell? South Dakota?"

Rapid City for 5 yrs until I met my hubby. I enjoyed living in Rapid City, miss it at times. Closer to my family. The choices we make in life! Just makes my yearly visit that more special. My mom and grandma are 4 1/2 hrs from Rapid.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Thanks for clarifying about all the Jasons. My mind was wondering at that point. I read most of the book when my hubby was in surgery. Finished it the day after.

I ship chocolate to a candy shop in Rapid City :-)

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Nice!!! Dustin I must say that you are living the dream!!

message 27: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Feb 17, 2017 07:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danell wrote: "Nice!!! Dustin I must say that you are living the dream!!"

I know and I'm gonna stay in this reality as long as I can :-) I rather like the little pocket universe I have found.

I might start having nightmares tonight though....
Each year as we start Easter Bunny Production. I start seeing too many chocolate bunnies and they start showing up in my dreams and nightmares - sometimes they are carrying knives. Today I boxed up a lot of chocolate rabbits and I saw their crazy eyes starring back at me and I thought to myself "Oh boy, I think this is gonna do it."

After Easter is over I enjoy cutting off the bunnies' heads and eating them. Actually I have been eating two of them tonight because I brought a couple of defective ones home. I cut the bunny right between the crazy eyes, I chopped off their ears and I have been eating them in pieces.

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Well, so far living in Wayward Pines seems an awful lot like living in Utah."

Dustin, did you read Pines? It's the first book in the trilogy. Wayward Pines is the second book-it takes place right after Pines ends. :)

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "Thanks for clarifying about all the Jasons. My mind was wondering at that point. I read most of the book when my hubby was in surgery. Finished it the day after."

How did your husband's surgery go? Wishing him a full and speedy recovery. :)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Danell wrote: "Nice!!! Dustin I must say that you are living the dream!!"

I know and I'm gonna stay in this reality as long as I can :-) I rather like the little pocket universe I have found.

I ..."

lmao

Christine | 734 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Danell wrote: "Nice!!! Dustin I must say that you are living the dream!!"

I ..."

the poor bunnies, lol

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Off with their heads!! Funny how every day life interferes with our dreams.

Hubby's surgery was long. 5 fusions instead of 4 and 8 decompressions. I was the second person in the waiting room at 6:45 (?) and was the second from the last person to leave at 4:10. Due to my long work hours and the amount of stairs in our house we felt it best he recovery at his moms, which is an hour away.

Hopping he can come back home next weekend. Will be heading over to see him this weekend!

Part of me felt guilty sitting in the waiting room and reading a book while he was in surgery, but then again what the heck could I do. The Dr. is skilled, he is in great hands and why worry about something you can't control. I did wander around every few hours.

Thanks for asking.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

The snow in my corner of the world is melting. Temps in the high 40's and 50's for this weekend. Not good for the ski jump competion that is to take place next weekend.

Wow! Danell that is traumatic waiting in the hospital like that. I don't think you need to feel guilty reading in the waiting room. Sometimes it's good to take your mind off the issues and worry that is right in front of you. I had to go through these hospital waiting with my ex-wife and it was always traumatic for me. I think avoiding hospitals is part of my genetic code.

Danell aren't you the one who drives monster trucks for a living?

Rachel - I was planning to read Pines first but Wayward came in from the library first and I'm still waiting for Pines to arrive. I requested them both at the same time - you how that sometimes turns out :-)

So yes, I'm reading Book Two first and Book One second. I've done this with The Dublin Murder Squad so decided to go ahead and do it with this trilogy. Of course Dublin Murder Squad is written in a way that there are different members of the squad featured in each volume. We'll see how it goes.

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "Off with their heads!! Funny how every day life interferes with our dreams.

Hubby's surgery was long. 5 fusions instead of 4 and 8 decompressions. I was the second person in the waiting room at 6..."

Don't feel guilty for one second-it's essential to distract yourself sometimes-I know reading keeps me sane during stressful times. :)

We're getting warmer weather this week too-it's messed up to have spring weather in the winter (although I'm not complaining as I hate the cold :)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Rachel - I was planning to read Pines first but Wayward came in from the library first and I'm still waiting for Pines to arrive. I requested them both at the same time - you how that sometimes tur..."

This trilogy is very different from the dublin murder squad-the pines trilogy is basically one story told in 3 parts-it will be confusing (and spoilery) to read it out of order. Okay, my speech is now over, lol. Enjoy the trilogy-whatever order you read it in. :D

I know. I'll let you know how it goes :-) Since I am crazy it might be okay in the end. I do plan on ending with book 3 - so that's a plus.

Danell (danellbookworm) | 470 comments Think I took a book to every one of his surgeries, this being the 6th one in 8 or 9 yrs. Books calm me. Saw other people reading and most the time I crane my neck to see what they are reading, not this time. Didn't want to start a conversation. You guys ever feel the same?

Not a monster truck, but yes I drive a 6 ton straight truck. Had the pull me over flags on today....was hauling 2,300 lbs of hazardous materials, the placards are attention grabbers for the police. Which is fine by me. It is always good to have another set of eyes on paperwork and freight.

I might have to give the trilogy a try.

I have finished Wayward (book 2) and am currently reading Pines (book 1)

Pines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake Crouch Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2) by Blake Crouch

Danell - you seem to have quite the adventurous lifestyle :-)
Pulling 6-ton trailers with Hazardous Materials being pulled over for questioning - gosh you could write a novel and have yourself as the main character.

I've never been comfortable driving large vehicles or hauling trailers.

I prefer the most compact vehicle available - which is why I ride a badass scooter around in my little world.

Rachel | 2889 comments Danell wrote: "Think I took a book to every one of his surgeries, this being the 6th one in 8 or 9 yrs. Books calm me. Saw other people reading and most the time I crane my neck to see what they are reading, not ..."

I know what you mean-I've felt the same. :)

Hope you give the trilogy a try-it's a fun, crazy read. :)

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Danell - you seem to have quite the adventurous lifestyle :-)
Pulling 6-ton trailers with Hazardous Materials being pulled over for questioning - gosh you could write a novel and have yourself as ..."

That scooter sounds fun-just don't know how you don't freeze your ass off in colorado during the winter :)

I hate the cold, lol :)

I take the bus if I have to in the winter :-) but I ride year-round when I can. I learned the hard way what my limits were with ice and lower temps during the first 2 winters - had some scary rides but I'm getting real smart these days.

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I take the bus if I have to in the winter :-) but I ride year-round when I can. I learned the hard way what my limits were with ice and lower temps during the first 2 winters - had some scary rides..."

Stay safe and warm. :)

I might be getting a new hedgehog soon :-) I'm currently on the waitlist and one has become available, but I'm not sure where I'm at on the list. I may have a new hog by Summertime.

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I might be getting a new hedgehog soon :-) I'm currently on the waitlist and one has become available, but I'm not sure where I'm at on the list. I may have a new hog by Summertime."

Aw, hedgehogs are so cute. Hope you get your new hog soon. :)

It might be very soon. Below is a link to the hog I'm getting. Her name is Poppy and I just got an email from the breeder:

http://colorfulquills.weebly.com/avai...

Rachel | 2889 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "It might be very soon. Below is a link to the hog I'm getting. Her name is Poppy and I just got an email from the breeder:

http://colorfulquills.weebly.com/avai..."

f*ing adorable! :)

Christine | 734 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "It might be very soon. Below is a link to the hog I'm getting. Her name is Poppy and I just got an email from the breeder:

http://colorfulquills.weebly.com/avai..."

Poppy is so cute!!!!!

Thank you :-) Poppy is moving to Boulder on Sunday.

« previous 1