South Edmonton Young Adult (YA) Book Club discussion

Goodreads, Meetup and Facebook - Your choice

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthahannah) | 31 comments Mod
Most of our members have found our group off of Meetup. As some of you may know, we have a 50-person limit on the group there, which means that we regularly go through the list and trim the members who haven't actively participated, in-person or online. At that time, we re-direct them to Goodreads to join this group. I like Goodreads, and I intent to keep updating this group, however, it's not the best platform, and not everyone has a Goodreads. I would hazard a guess that joining another social media platform becomes a barrier to some people's participation.

Vanessa and I are also part of another book club, and it is run through Goodreads, but mostly Facebook. It's a Facebook group that people can join. It seems like it functions really well, because Facebook does have the ability to schedule events, and then we are all able to really easily have conversation and share articles, etc. Most of our members have found us through this Meetup page, however because the Meetup has a cost associated to it, we are hoping to transition to Goodreads, and possibly Facebook, over the next three months before our Meetup membership expires. If anyone has any thoughts on this, please come share them at our meeting, or discuss here!

Thanks!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 15 comments Hey,

I wasn't at yesterday's meeting so I don't know if this was talked about, but I wanted to let you know that I'm not a huge Facebook user. If you do like this option that is fine I know Facebook is a huge thing for most people - if you could just keep the Goodreads one updated as well I'll be fine!

I know that it costs a lot to keep the Meetup group added I looked up the cost and was amazed and it's in US so conversion rates must not be fun.

If you could just let me know what the final decision is that would be greatly appreciated.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Thank you!!!

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthahannah) | 31 comments Mod
Hey Erin!

We are going to keep updating the Goodreads, forsure. But we did decide that going on, we're going to transition from the Meetup to the Goodreads and Facebook, because they are free. Don't worry about not being super active on Facebook, because you won't be missing out by using the Goodreads group!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 15 comments Good, I was worried for a second. I just don't go on Facebook that often but I'll join the group there as well just in case.

I hope that you are doing well.