SIA Showcase for Readers and Writers discussion

Jennifer S. Alderson
This topic is about Jennifer S. Alderson
Member showcase A through G > Jennifer S. Alderson: 99 cent sale & two Goodreads giveaways

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 05, 2017 12:02PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Hello!

I'm the author of two published novels and two more that will be hitting the virtual shelves later this year. I love to travel and read mysteries, so combining the two came naturally when I started writing novels.

Down and Out in Kathmandu Adventures in Backpacking (Adventures of Zelda Richardson, #1) by Jennifer S. Alderson My first book is, Down and Out in Kathmandu: Adventures in Backpacking, a travel thriller set in Nepal and Thailand. An idealistic backpacker volunteering as an English teacher in Nepal finds herself entangled with an international gang of smugglers whose Thai leader believes she’s stolen their diamonds.

The Lover's Portrait An Art Mystery (Adventures of Zelda Richardson, #2) by Jennifer S. Alderson My second is The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery, and it's set in the Netherlands. American art history student Zelda Richardson discovers clues to the whereabouts of a cache of missing masterpieces buried somewhere in Amsterdam, hidden away in 1942 by a homosexual art dealer who’d rather die than turn his collection over to his Nazi blackmailer.

I'll be releasing a novella-length travelogue in a few weeks and the third installment of the Adventures of Zelda Richardson series, an art thriller set in Papua New Guinea and Amsterdam, at the end of 2017.

Thanks for stopping by!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments While I'm here, I want to share a contest / giveaway I'm running via Goodreads, my website and Facebook until February 21:

description

Do you love travel fiction, mysteries and thrillers?

Here's your chance to Name a Character in my upcoming novel The Anthropologist and win fabulous travel-related gifts and books as a reward!

One Grand Prize winner will win the prize package pictured above and see their name immortalized in my new book's acknowledgements.

20 runner-ups will win an eBook copy (Kindle or Smashwords) of either The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery or Down and Out in Kathmandu: Adventures in Backpacking, the first two novels in the Adventures of Zelda Richardson series.

*** You can also name a country you'd like to visit in the comments to be entered in the eBook contest. ***

Click here (https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...) to go to my Goodreads blog and enter by commenting on the post.

End February 21, 2017. Good luck!

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 153 comments Welcome to the showcase Jennifer!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 1015 comments Welcome to the house of fun.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Erica wrote: "Welcome to the showcase Jennifer!"

Thank you, Erica! I'm glad I found you all, looks like a great group.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Jane wrote: "Welcome to the house of fun."

LOL! Hi, Jane - thanks!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments India wrote: "Hey there :)"

Well hello, India! Lovely to see you here! I actually checked out your Showcase link first, to help inspire me what to write. I'll have to actually write something on it! :)

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments I'm grateful to author Judy Penz Sheluk for featuring me in her "Before They Were Authors" blog on her website last week.

This was such a fun article to write! I'd never really stopped to think about the influences of my former careers as journalist, multimedia developer and art historian had on my novels. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.judypenzsheluk.com/2017/01...

message 9: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments Hi, Jennifer! So glad to see you here! I hate that I STILL haven't been able to get back to your books! I'm so sloooowwww going with everything! But I will! Cause the bit I read was AWESOME.

message 10: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 332 comments Hi Jennifer!! Your contest is an awesome idea :)

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "Hi, Jennifer! So glad to see you here! I hate that I STILL haven't been able to get back to your books! I'm so sloooowwww going with everything! But I will! Cause the bit I read was AWESOME."

Hi Lyra! Good to see you here! I'm slowly making me way through the threads, there are so many great authors in this group. :)

You haven't read my book yet and you dared post that on my new thread? LOL - you know, I kid. Don't worry, I know you'll get to it one day. Besides you have to see if I use the word 'acquiescent' again.

Thanks for stopping by!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Marie wrote: "Hi Jennifer!! Your contest is an awesome idea :)"

Hey Marie! Thank you, my dear! It's been fun to see the character name suggestions; going to be difficult to choose only one in a few weeks. It's also turned out to be a wonderful way to let people know about my upcoming art mystery 'The Anthropologist' (still have to think up a better title!), which is a bonus.

Thanks for stopping by and good luck with Mystery Thriller Week!

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments If art mysteries and travel thrillers are your thing, don't miss my first ever live Facebook event this Sunday from 2-3 pm Eastern Standard Time!

I've got silly games planned, as well as freebies, discounts and giveaways going on.

For those of you who've been meaning to buy Down and Out in Kathmandu: Adventures in Backpacking and The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery but haven't gotten around to it yet, be sure and check either the event page or my Facebook author page this Sunday and see what major discounts I've got lined up for you! :)

Or enter my Name a Character giveaway for a chance to win either the grand prize package or 1 of my eBooks!

Facebook event sunday 12 February 2-3 pm:
https://www.facebook.com/events/20023...

Facebook author page:
https://www.facebook.com/JenniferSAld...

Hope to see you there!

message 14: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments I'm working, but I will try to make it! I hope you like eventing, and do it more often. ;)

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 606 comments *waves happily*

Just wanted to say hiiii and welcome to the party, Miss Jennifer!!

Hugs,
Ann

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "I'm working, but I will try to make it! I hope you like eventing, and do it more often. ;)"

How sweet, thanks Lyra. I'm curious to see who shows up and if I manage to make an ass of myself, but hey, it's only an hour :) But seriously, I hope it will be fun!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Annie wrote: "*waves happily*

Just wanted to say hiiii and welcome to the party, Miss Jennifer!!

Hugs,
Ann"

Hi Ann! It looks like an amazing group of writers! Glad to be part of the fun. Have a great night!

message 18: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments Jennifer wrote: "Lyra wrote: "I'm working, but I will try to make it! I hope you like eventing, and do it more often. ;)"

How sweet, thanks Lyra. I'm curious to see who shows up and if I manage to make an ass of m..."

Nah, you'll do great!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Lyra wrote: "I'm working, but I will try to make it! I hope you like eventing, and do it more often. ;)"

How sweet, thanks Lyra. I'm curious to see who shows up and if I manage to..."

Thanks, Lyra! :)

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Hello again! Here's a (rather long, I know) recap of all the exciting things happening with Mystery Thriller Week. It officially starts today, yet several articles and reviews are already live. Here's a copy of my blog post about it:

After blogging about it for weeks, the event to end all events (at least for Mystery and Thriller lovers) has finally begun!

MTW logo

Here’s a brief summary of the Giveaway, Special Sale, Featured Articles I’ve written for the event and the first 5 wonderful reviews placed by Mystery Thriller Week reviewers!

‘Name the Character’ Mega Giveaway
To celebrate Mystery Thriller Week, I’ve set up a ‘Name the Character’ Mega Giveaway, giving fans a chance to name a character in my upcoming art mystery thriller The Anthropologist and win this fabulous prize package.
Enter now via my blog, Facebook, or Goodreads!
Twenty other lucky entrants will win one of my eBooks. [Tip: you can also enter the eBook competition by commenting with the name of a country you’d like to visit.]

BLOG: http://jennifersalderson.com/2017/01/...
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferSAld...
GR: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog...

MegaPrize

Special One Time Only Sale
To celebrate Mystery Thriller Week, I’ve set up a special, once a year sale you won’t want to miss!
Pop by my first ever LIVE Facebook event this Sunday, February 12 from 2 - 3 p.m. EST to find out when and how much you can save!
Or check my Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads or Instagram account to get all the details after February 14. My books have never been, and will probably never be again, so cheap!!!
LIVE: https://www.facebook.com/events/20023...

Featured articles
Two articles I’ve written for fellow Mystery Thriller Week authors are now live!
Here’s a short excerpt of my post, ‘Before They Were Authors’ on Judy Penz Sheluk’s book blog.
“I’ve never been one to shy away from a challenge and I love learning new things. As a result, my career path has taken many twists and turns along the way. Before my novels were published, I worked as a journalist and editor for regional newspapers, then as a multimedia developer for large corporations, before finally transitioning into my latest role as collection researcher and project assistant for museums. All of the jobs and experiences I’ve had have influenced my writing by inspiring and informing storylines, plot twists, and characters…”
Read the rest here.
http://www.judypenzsheluk.com/2017/01...

Author and artist Rosa Fedele featured my article, ‘Why Amsterdam is the Perfect Setting for an Art Mystery’ on her fabulous blog, newsletter and portfolio website!
“Amsterdam is the perfect setting for an art-related mystery, especially one in which the looting of artwork by the Nazis during World War Two plays a central role. My second novel, The Lover’s Portrait: An Art Mystery is about an American art history student who finds clues to the whereabouts of a collection of masterpieces hidden somewhere in Amsterdam, secreted away in 1942 by a homosexual art dealer who’d rather die than turn his collection over to his Nazi blackmailer.
I can safely say if I hadn’t moved to Amsterdam to study art history twelve years ago, I never would have written this novel. My life here as an expat and art history student, as well as the turbulent history of this amazing city and its many museums, directly inspired the storyline and several of the characters.”
Read the rest of my Guest Blog Post on Rosa Fedele’s blog now.
http://rosafedele.com/mtw2017-feat-je...

Early Reviews
I’m thrilled to see five reviews of my novels already placed by Mystery Thriller Week reviewers!

Check out this fabulous 5 star review of Down and Out in Kathmandu by author and reviewer JB Richards on her blog: https://www.yeshuaandmirinovelseries....

I’m pleased to see author and reviewer Colin Garrow enjoyed The Lover’s Portrait and gave it four stars! Check out his review on his blog: https://colingarrow.org/2017/01/08/th...

I'm also honored Goodreads reviewer Thomas choose to review Down and Out in Kathmandu for Mystery Thriller Week. I’m quite pleased to see he gave it 3.5 stars and writes, “The author clearly has spent time in Nepal, describing in vivid detail the sights, sounds and smells unfamiliar to an American…” The plot resolves all the various threads satisfactorily. “ Thank you!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Author and blogger Roxana Nastase also choose Down and Out in Kathmandu and I’m happy to see she gave it four stars, writing “the characters are well-developed and believable” and “The twists in the plot are good enough to keep the reader’s interest.” Read her full review and an interview with myself and my lead character Zelda Richardson here: http://roxananastase.weebly.com/blog/...

Book reviewer and blogger, Jackie of the “fallinlovewiththesoundofwords” book blog, wrote a detailed 3 star review of Down and Out in Kathmandu that is currently on Goodreads. I appreciate knowing what did and didn’t work for her. Most of all I’m pleased to see her review finish with: “However, the ending was amazing. It was fast paced and I had no idea which direction it would go. I am very happy with the outcome, and I can’t wait to read more of Zelda Richardson’s travels!”
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Many thanks to the event organizers Vicki, Benjamin and Sherrie for making this all happen. I wish you all much reading pleasure during Mystery Thriller Week!

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1090 comments Hi Jennifer! I've been sick, so I'm catching up on welcoming folks to thee showcase, so welcome!

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Christina wrote: "Hi Jennifer! I've been sick, so I'm catching up on welcoming folks to thee showcase, so welcome!"

Hi Christina! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I hope you are feeling better. I'm slowly making my way through the group, as well. There are an incredible amount of talented authors here!! Thanks for letting me join. Take care!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments THANKS to everyone who entered my Name a Character Mega Giveaway this past month! Your entries were incredible and made it extremely difficult to choose one winner.

I tried to envision the characters based on the names provided, and decided that Elizabeth P. Jansen is the perfect rival for my main character Zelda Richardson.

Having Canadian-Flemish parents allows her to study in the Netherlands without having trouble getting a visa and she knows the language thanks to her Belgian father. Her self-assuredness and multi-cultural background is sure to drive Zelda insane!

Congratulations Aliya DalRae for entering the winning name!!

You win this fabulous prize package:
prize

If you aren’t Aliya, please don’t fret! I decided everyone who took the time to enter deserves a prize. There are also 26 runners up who win either The Lover’s Portrait or Down and Out in Kathmandu!

And the lucky eBook winners are:
Ian Lahey
Brian Greiner
Susan Wee
Thomas
Sarah Marissa
Christina Pitt
Jane Dunning
Nik Krasno
Rishit
Shawn Remfrey
Kandi Lopez
Susan Bass Marcus
Sonia Perry
P.J. Lazos
Jane Jago
Susan Elizabeth Girard
Renee Gauthier
Robert
Kathy Richardson
Tammy
S. Lynham
Abbie Chandler
Lisa Petersen
Sharon Guagliardo
Nerisha Kemraj
cj petterson

[Two more entrants are reviewers who already have both books, so I’ll work out something with them.]

I have sent messages to all the winners so if you are one of them, please check your inbox. Thanks again for entering my contest and happy reading!

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Hey folks!

I am absolutely thrilled to see The Lover's Portrait nominated for Mystery & Crime Thrillers Group Read in April!

Would you consider voting for my novel? I would be quite grateful. Either way, have a wonderful week!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting ends May 26!

Here are a few excerpts from recent reviews:

"Ms. Alderson takes her reader on a fast paced journey amidst blackmail, murder and mystery, which all add to this captivating tale."

"More than just a story - this book is a work of 'writing' art. It is alive in its language and description."

"The plot unravels smoothly and keeps the reader turning page after page as the tension gradually builds up. Reading “The Lover’s Portrait” was a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me."

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Hello, I just noticed that The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery is no.28 on Goodreads Art Fraud & Theft list - out of 184 books!

And I didn't even know it was on that list :)

I would be ever so grateful if you voted for it. Either way, have a great day!

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments I am so excited to see The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery is one of Women Writers, Women Books Recommended Reads for April!

http://booksbywomen.org/recommended-r...

To celebrate, I've lower the eBook price to 3.99 for the month of April. Amazon and Barnes and Noble have also lower the paperback price to 13.99. Yippee!

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 1015 comments Congratulations

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Jane wrote: "Congratulations"

hey, thanks!

message 29: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 189 comments Congratulations! That's awesome your title got singled out :)

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Amie wrote: "Congratulations! That's awesome your title got singled out :)"
Thanks, Amie!
Sorry about the delayed response; I'm still learning the Goodreads ropes. :)

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Jennifer wrote: "Hello, I just noticed that The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery is no.28 on Goodreads Art Fraud & Theft list - out of 184 books!
And I didn't even know it was on that list :)"

MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO VOTED!!!

Thanks to you, I'm now the no.1 book on the Art Fraud & Theft list!

You are all awesome and I am truly grateful :)

message 32: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 10, 2017 11:29AM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments I forgot to share a series of articles that is near and dear to my heart, Fiction and Memoirs written by Expats and Travelers. I am honored that these six wonderful authors were willing and able to share their stories on my blog in March. I've shared each one on my Goodreads blog too, but in case you missed any, here is a short summary with links to all of the posts (at the bottom).

In a few short weeks I will be releasing Notes of a Naive Traveler: Nepal and Thailand, excerpts from travel journals and emails I’d written while volunteering in Kathmandu and backpacking through Nepal and Thailand. This journey also served as the basis for my first novel, a travel thriller entitled Down and Out in Kathmandu: Adventures in Backpacking.

My plan was to volunteer in Nepal for four months then backpack around Southeast Asia for another six. Things didn’t quite work out that way…

Traveling is an amazing adventure, one that can transform your world view – if you let it. Yet it can also be quite scary and lonely when you’re so far from home, especially the first time.

When I decided to set off from Seattle to Kathmandu, I was a twenty-six-year-old computer geek who didn’t have a passport because I’d never left the States. This first trip abroad ignited my wanderlust. This journey led to another and another, and after having traveled much of the world, I settled in the Netherlands and reinvented myself as an art historian.

Long-term travel and the expat experience are topics near and dear to my heart. To celebrate the impending release of Notes of a Naive Traveler: Nepal and Thailand, I’ve asked six incredible authors, travelers and expats to share their stories.

Every Monday and Friday during the month of March, I will be featuring fascinating articles by Jill Dobbe, Melissa Burovac, Beth Green, Anne Hamilton, Annika Milisic Stanley and Pamela Allegretto – as well as an article I’ve written about claiming your place in this world – on my blog.

I hope you enjoy learning more about these incredible women in the coming weeks, in particular their expat and travel-related experiences and the influence it’s had on their life and writing.

Introduction to Fiction and Memoirs by Expats and Travelers Month

How Traveling Abroad Turned Me Into A Writer By Melissa Burovac

Write What You Know By Jill Dobbe

A Blonde Bengali Wife And Me By Anne Hamilton

Staying ‘In The Moment’: One Author’s Adventure In Travel Writing By Jennifer S. Alderson

Stories Everywhere By Beth Green

The Birth of a Novel by Pamela Allegretto

Interview with Expat Fiction Author Annika Milisic-Stanley

Links to all seven blog posts are located here:
http://jennifersalderson.com/2017/04/...

message 33: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments You amaze me, Jennifer!
Wish I could travel like you have!

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "You amaze me, Jennifer!
Wish I could travel like you have!"

How sweet, thanks Lyra! I have been quite lucky in many ways, that is for sure.

My excuses for the delay, I still haven't figured out how to see when someone has replied to a comment :) One day...

message 35: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 14, 2017 12:43PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments For readers and authors of travel fiction and non-fiction, I've started a new promotions and discussion group on Facebook (that is also listed on Goodreads though not active here).

It's called Travel By Book and so far it's been quite a bit of fun learning about new places and books that can take you there. If that sounds like your thing, stop by and consider joining!

Main Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/16315...

Basic information also available on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 36: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments Great idea, Jennifer! I've joined both!

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "Great idea, Jennifer! I've joined both!"

Cool, I'll be curious to see which travel fiction novels you are reading!

message 38: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Woohoo! THANK YOU (soon to be) NEW READERS for pre-ordering Notes of a Naive Traveler: Nepal and Thailand!!

One month before its release and Notes is already no. 84 on Amazon's Best Sellers in General Nepal Travel Guides AND the no.1 Hot New Release!!!

You are all amazing!! I truly hope you enjoy your trip to Nepal and Thailand. The adventure starts May 15 :)

Notes of a Naive Traveler

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments And now for something useful:

Hi all! I've written a short introduction to Twitter specifically for authors who are new to it, Twitter for Beginners.

It's been well received and I thought some of you may also find it helpful. Here's the link: http://jennifersalderson.com/2017/04/...

"I am often asked by author friends new to Twitter what hashtags are and why they should be using them. Quite simply, when you tweet a message with no hashtags it is invisible to anyone not following you. And when you are just starting out, that won’t be many people.

Twitter users can ‘find’ tweets two ways: searching for a keyword or checking their favorite hashtag streams. Yet the results are surprisingly different. Try it one time. For example, when I search for ‘Amsterdam’ I get another result than when I check the #Amsterdam stream. Tweets on the #Amsterdam stream have many more likes than those I find when searching for the word ‘Amsterdam’. That is because most users will check their favorite hashtag feed and not search for keywords. And you want readers, bloggers and reviewers to find you.

So how do you create messages that reach a wider audience? ..."

message 40: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 533 comments Entered!

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Lyra wrote: "Entered!"

Awesome - thanks Lyra!

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments India wrote: "Congrats :)"
Thanks, India!!

message 43: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 30, 2017 11:28AM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Over on my website/blog you will find a number of interviews and spotlights featuring many talented authors. Here's a little preview:

Ten Tips and Techniques for Creating a Sense of Place in the Reader’s Mind by Andrew Cairns
Today Andrew Cairns, author of The Witch’s List and member of Travel By Book, shares with us some excellent tips for creating a strong sense of place in your novels.

Andrew knows what he’s talking about. Travel inspired his first novel, written fifteen years after a memorable one-month visit to the Ivory Coast in 1999. His experiences of growing up in Scotland and moving to France where he has lived and worked most of his adult life, are also worked into the novel. I hope you enjoy reading his post and pick up a few useful tips for your own writing!

http://jennifersalderson.com/2017/06/...

Spotlight on mystery author Lucia N. Davis
Please help me welcome Lucia N. Davis, author of The Baby on the Back Porch and The Charm of Lost Chances, to my blog. We connected via a Goodreads author group because of her Dutch roots! It’s been great getting to know her, her expanding family and her mysteries. I hope you enjoy the interview as well.

Introducing Amy Shannon, author and book blogger
It is my pleasure to introduce you to Amy C. Shannon, book reviewer and author of over 100 published poems and stories. It is an honor to be able to help promote the June 9 release of her latest book, Fettering Shadows, which is coincidentally also her birthday. So happy birthday Amy, from all of us! I hope you enjoy learning more about Amy, her books and her book review blog.

Introducing Sojourner McConnell
I am proud to introduce to you author, reviewer and blogger Sojourner McConnell. She is also one of the three brilliant minds behind Mystery Thriller Week, one of the best book events I’ve had the pleasure of participating in. I am a fan of her writing and thrilled to help share the release of her first children’s book, Who’s That in the Cat Pajamas?, with you all today!

And I have also shared several travel articles in case anyone has itchy feet:

Amsterdam: Family Fun for Everyone
Despite its reputation as Europe’s Sin City, Amsterdam is a wonderful destination for a family vacation. For starters, there are a plethora of free playgrounds and parks spread throughout the city you can let you little ones loose in. Most cultural institutions have created interactive exhibitions geared towards young children and several tour companies offer special family tours via bus, boat or foot.

As a parent of an active six-year-old, I want to share three of my favorite places to take my son in the warmer months, places we both enjoy.

Family vacation in Little Switzerland: Echternach, Luxembourg (part 2)
Luxembourg is a fascinating little country that is quickly becoming one of our family’s favorite holiday destinations. On our third trip to this tiny country, we choose to head south to the Mullerthal region, also known as little Switzerland. Echternach, the area’s cultural capital, was indeed the perfect place for us city folk to get back to nature for a few days and explore the hilly, forested region. In Part One of this post, I shared pictures and stories about Echternach. Today I would like to share our impression of Vianden and Beaufort, Luxembourg as well as Trier, Germany.

Family vacation in Little Switzerland: Echternach, Luxembourg (part 1)
Luxembourg is becoming one of our favorite places to take a family vacation, especially now my son is old enough to hike with us. On our third trip to this tiny country we choose to head south to the Mullerthal region, also known as little Switzerland. Echternach, the area’s cultural capital, was indeed the perfect place for us city folk to get back to nature for a few days and explore the hilly, forested region.

http://jennifersalderson.com/2017/05/...

message 44: by JAKe (new)

JAKe Hatmacher (jakehatmacher) | 38 comments CONTEST!!!! (for a VISA gift card)
Private Message me your answers (do not simply post a comment).
Answer this question: What two publicly celebrated days, not including birthdays, are mentioned in the story, A Secret Lies Deep?
- winner to be selected randomly from all correct answers on February 1, 2018. And please also leave your email address so I have an alternate way of reaching you should you win.

message 45: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 21, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Hey, readers! I’ve got a giveaway going on – exclusive for newsletter subscribers 🙂

Now is your chance to win a signed paperback copy of one of my mysteries – plus a bit of swag. My travel and art-inspired thrillers make great presents for your friends, family or yourself!

Subscribe to my newsletter now to find out how to enter: http://eepurl.com/cWmc29

The contest is open internationally. The winners will be chosen on Saturday December 2, 2017. Don’t delay!

Here’s what you can win:
One lucky reader will win a signed paperback copy of Down and Out in Kathmandu: A Backpacker Mystery, a Caffe il Momento tote bag and mini-prayer flags.

And another lucky reader will win a signed paperback copy of The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery, a Caffe il Momento tote bag and a set of ten greeting cards from the Dutch Resistance Museum.

*The tote bags are generously provided by Caffè il Momento, a coffee bar and gift shop in Amsterdam which sells signed copies of my books.

message 46: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments The Lover’s Portrait: An Art Mystery is 1 of 5 finalists in The Rosie’s Book Review Team 2017 Awards!

I am honored beyond belief. The RBRT reviews hundreds of books each year. To be 1 of their top 5 already makes my art mystery a winner, in my mind.

However, it would be wonderful to actually win! If you enjoyed The Lover’s Portrait, would you take a moment to vote for it (in the Mystery category)? THANK YOU!!

LINK TO VOTE IS HERE

Here’s more information about the awards:

The Rosie’s Book Review Team (#RBRT) awards are back!

Now in their third year, I’m delighted to open the public vote. The books were chosen from the hundreds submitted to our team for review in 2017. My team of reviewers were asked to nominate their favourites; here are those that made the final cut.

You may vote for one book in each category. Please only vote for books that you honestly feel deserve an award, in accordance with the authenticity of my team’s reviews.

Voting closes on December 15th and the results will be announced on Tuesday December 19th.

Meanwhile, huge congratulations to all the finalists!

message 47: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments I'm so excited to announce The Lover's Portrait won the Silver Cup (second place) in RBRT Awards 2017 Mystery category! Big hug to everyone who voted!!
https://rosieamber.wordpress.com/2017...

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Take a trip to Nepal and Thailand from the comfort of your armchair! Enter for a chance to win one signed paperback copy of my travelogue Notes of a Naive Traveler today!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

"I never thought I would have reason to say to someone, 'Sorry I’m late, it took longer to dismember the goat than originally planned.'"

I was twenty-six years old, worked at a well-paid job, rented a fantastic apartment, and enjoyed a large circle of friends. I had everything, except I didn’t. I couldn’t shake the feeling I was missing out on the experience of living.

Part guidebook on culture and travel, part journey of self-discovery, this travelogue takes you on a backpacking adventure through Nepal and Thailand and provides a firsthand account of one volunteer’s experience teaching in a Nepali school and living with a devout Brahmin family.

Trek with me through the bamboo forests and terraced mountaintops of eastern Nepal, take a wild river-rafting ride in class IV waters, go on an elephant ride and encounter a charging rhinoceros on jungle walks in Chitwan National Park, sea-kayak the surreal waters of Krabi, and snorkel in the Gulf of Thailand. Join me on some of the scariest bus rides you could imagine, explore beautiful and intriguing temples, experience religious rituals unknown to most Westerners, and visit mind-blowing places not mentioned in your typical travel guides.

Notes of a Naive Traveler is a must-read for those interested in learning more about – or wishing to travel to – Nepal and Thailand. I hope it inspires you to see these amazing countries for yourself.

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments International Goodreads Giveaway Travel Thriller set in Nepal and Thailand

Here's your chance to win a travel thriller set in Nepal and Thailand - Down and Out in Kathmandu: A Backpacker Mystery!

International paperback giveaway open to ALL Goodreads members.

Ends February 5!

Zelda wants to teach children English and 'find herself' in Kathmandu.
Ian wants to get stoned and trek the Himalayas.
Tommy wants to get rich by smuggling diamonds.

How their stories collide will leave you on the edge of your seat!

Travel from the dusty, tout-filled streets and holy sites of Nepal to the sultry metropolises and picture-perfect beaches of Thailand, as Zelda and Ian try to outsmart the smugglers and escape Asia alive.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 65 comments Don't miss your chance to win a paperback copy of The Lover's Portrait: An Art Mystery here on Goodreads! Giveaway is open to ALL members - ends Feburary 26!

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

One painting. Two claimants. Three murders.

When a Dutch art dealer hides the stock from his gallery – rather than turn it over to his Nazi blackmailer – he pays with his life, leaving a treasure trove of modern masterpieces buried somewhere in Amsterdam, presumably lost forever. That is, until American art history student Zelda Richardson sticks her nose in...

Audiobook now available on Amazon, Audible and iTunes. Winner of the Silver Cup in Rosie’s Book Review Team 2017 Awards, Mystery category. One of The Displaced Nation’s Top 36 Expat Fiction Picks of 2016. Number 14 in the BookLife Prize for Fiction 2016, Mystery category.

« previous 1