World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Immigration anxiety

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Edlund (dedlund) | 13 comments The US is among a large group of nations that have long-established a legal framework of laws to restrict/govern the immigration of non-citizens as well as the legal pathway to earning citizenship. So why do many in the US seem to harbor an abundance of angst on the issue of immigration? Why do a large number of cities, and even some states, have so-called sanctuary laws that prevent the local law enforcement from offering any assistance to Federal authorities when it comes to enforcing existing immigration laws?

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 12916 comments Interesting. Didn't know about this phenomenon in the US. Keen to hear further insight...

message 3: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Boley (bernard_boley) | 126 comments Dave wrote: "The US is among a large group of nations that have long-established a legal framework of laws to restrict/govern the immigration of non-citizens as well as the legal pathway to earning citizenship...."

Canada has always had severe immigration restrictions, maybe more restrictive than those in the USA. But I tend to believe that it's all about the attitude Americains may have expressed towards the provenance of the immigrants.

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Edlund (dedlund) | 13 comments Bernard wrote: "Dave wrote: "The US is among a large group of nations that have long-established a legal framework of laws to restrict/govern the immigration of non-citizens as well as the legal pathway to earning..."

Provenance of the immigrants--please explain.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Edlund (dedlund) | 13 comments Nik wrote: "Interesting. Didn't know about this phenomenon in the US. Keen to hear further insight..."

It's real. For more than a decade there has been constant political debate about amnesty for illegal aliens (typically this is thought to be mostly illegals entering from Mexico--thus the "Wall"). Obama spoke of the "dreamers"--children born in the US to parents here illegally, and that resulted in some interesting executive orders and even a court over rule. A common (and heated) topic in the last presidential campaigns was the notion of sensible immigration laws. And, as mentioned, we have sanctuary cities and states. My state (Oregon) has laws on the books going back 30 years that make it illegal for any state, local, or county law enforcement to assist or help the Federal authorities (ICE--Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to detain or prosecute any person suspected of being in the US illegally.

message 6: by Bernard (last edited Feb 05, 2017 01:37PM) (new)

Bernard Boley (bernard_boley) | 126 comments Dave wrote: "Bernard wrote: "Dave wrote: "The US is among a large group of nations that have long-established a legal framework of laws to restrict/govern the immigration of non-citizens as well as the legal pa..."

The countries where they come from. Many countries have attributs such as main religion, main ethnic group that may cause some anxiety.

message 7: by Dave (new)

Dave Edlund (dedlund) | 13 comments Bernard wrote: "Dave wrote: "Bernard wrote: "Dave wrote: "The US is among a large group of nations that have long-established a legal framework of laws to restrict/govern the immigration of non-citizens as well as..."

That doesn't make sense. I'm not referring only to the recent executive order from Trump--no, that is really minor in the historical context of our "anxiety". Mostly, I believe, this stems from immigrants coming (not always lawfully) from Central and South America. The vast majority of illegal immigrants in the US are characterized as Hispanic, and this is a touchy subject with the Hispanic community--a rally cry for voter participation. Typically in favor of the Dem candidate.

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 9032 comments The US most certainly has had restrictions on immigration for a long time. I found out in the late sixties, unless there were special circumstances (and there were many - the US is nothing if not bureaucratic) at that time immigration was restricted by the permitted number being proportional to the number who arrived at some year that I think was 1904. Or at least that was what I was told by an immigration officer at the border. (I was not immigrating, but as a New Zealander, and that hardly anyone came to the US from NZ that year, I had the full bureaucratic procedure to get in, DESPITE the fact I had a multiple entry visa.)