The Pickwick Club discussion

The Humble Present of the Pickwick Club

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Moran | 666 comments Mod
Hello Pickwickians, let us discuss what we want to do right now in this group. Due to recent events, the "Great Expectations" discussion is lagging, so I thought we might want to move on to something else. Let me know what you want to discuss so that we can get something going shortly.

message 2: by Gregg (new)

Gregg | 6 comments I would be delighted to read Forster's bio of Dickens.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

I will second this

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1 comments Hello!! I'm game for either!

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Let me know also if we want to finish Great Expectations. I don't want to leave anyone out if people still want to finish that.

message 6: by Suzy (last edited Feb 05, 2017 12:49PM) (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I have been reading Great Expectations, but have not had time to comment. I also think the pace of reading it as it was released in serial form is too slow. It sounded like a good idea, but it has not held my interest. I would also be game to read Forster's biography.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

In a day or two, I will put up a poll and we can vote for this to make it official. Does anyone need time to pick up the biography if that is what we decide to do?

message 8: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) The book is available immediately from my library, but I would not be able to read it until March..

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Suzy wants to wait until March. I am good with that. Does anyone have any objections to waiting until March to start Forster's biography of Dickens? Does anyone want to nominate something else as our next read? I propose we read a short story or something until March. Let me know what you guys think.

message 10: by Jenine (new)

Jenine (_jenine) I agree with Suzy, I 'll have to look in the school's library, the public library and the bookshop (time is needed and starting reading in March will be perfect.)

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Good, I like what I am hearing, we are coming to a consensus.

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

How long shall we take to read The Life of Charles Dickens ? It is about 500 pages in my special illustrated hard copy. There are about 60 chapters. At one chapter per day this is two months (March and April). Otherwise we could stretch it to three months or about 5 pages/day. Let me know what you want.

message 13: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) If we are reading the biography of Dickens over a couple of months, are we still reading Great Expectations as well, or has that been sidelined?

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

I will gladly continue the read, but we hit a lull where no one was responding. I'll tell you what, I will put up the new threads for it by tomorrow for those still following along. Like good Pickwickians, we will persevere through it.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Suki wrote: "If we are reading the biography of Dickens over a couple of months, are we still reading Great Expectations as well, or has that been sidelined?"

Let me know though if that is what you want.

message 16: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "If we are reading the biography of Dickens over a couple of months, are we still reading Great Expectations as well, or has that been sidelined?"

Let me know though if that is what yo..."

Personally, I would like to continue the read- I last read the book many years ago in high school, and I would like to get the metaphorical dismal taste from that experience out of my mouth. I haven't posted yet because I wanted to get farther into the story and really get a feel for it before I committed my opinions to writing.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "If we are reading the biography of Dickens over a couple of months, are we still reading Great Expectations as well, or has that been sidelined?"

Let me know though i..."

I left off around chapter 11. I will continue you the discussion and I look forward to your participation and hopefully a few others.

message 18: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it weren't broken down into so many discussion threads. I would likely participate if it were broken into 3-4 chunks. I am about 1/3 through the book.

message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it weren't broken down into so many discussion threads. I would ..."

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I am trying to catch up right now. I am condensing the schedule to one new thread per week, because the other way was just too much. I believe the schedule suggest we should have read through chapter 19 by Wednesday. I'll be there by then. For now, let's pose the question here, and see if those following along would like to speed up the schedule?

Do you guys want to stick with the slower schedule for GE or accelerate it like Suzy suggests?

message 20: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) Jonathan wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it weren't broken down into so many discussion thre..."

I would probably prefer to accelerate the schedule a bit, because it's easier to keep up with what is happening in the book, but on the other hand, my mom isn't feeling well these days, so my reading is interrupted a lot, which is better suited to the more drawn-out schedule (I find it very hard to get into Dickens when I have to put the book down every 5-10 minutes!). So I really am OK with anything you decide to do- one way or another, I'm going to get through this book! :)

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it weren't broken down into so man..."

Sorry to hear about your mother Suki. I hope and pray that she gets better. Thanks for your input here.

message 22: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it weren't broken dow..."

Thanks, Jonathan. I just wanted to let you know that I am still participating, even if I don't always post promptly. :)

message 23: by Jonathan (new)

Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to participate if it w..."

Good to hear. Honestly, though, is there a problem discussing this work? I am through chapter 13, and, for the most part, I do not find too many things that would make for an interesting discussion. I like the storyline of Pip pursuing a gentleman status, but I think Dickens kind of covers everything in such detail, that it kind of negates the necessity for a discussion. I think I have Discussion Block, the evil twin of Writer's Block!

message 24: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suki wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Suzy wrote: "I had the same question about Great Expectations. Could we accelerate the reading schedule? I would be more likely to partic..."

I find it is sometimes difficult to discuss a book while I am reading it. I seem to have a tendency to read the book, "digest" it, and then I am ready to talk about it. I try to participate in reading schedule discussions, but I usually end up posting everything I wanted to say in the final section.

message 25: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I have to say that I agree with Suki. I have a hard time discussing small parts of a book while reading because I don't have the big picture of where it goes in the end and the intent of the author. Maybe we should just leave one discussion thread open and add our thoughts about the novel when we have finished it. Just another idea :).