Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > Kindle Slow

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Hello

Does anyone find that it takes ages for Kindle to open - about 2 minutes? Maybe it is just my device but it is so frustrating!

message 2: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I would suggest you post in the Amazon Kindle discussion group. You're likely to get more responses.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

FWIW my Voyage is working just fine.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Melanie wrote: "Hello

Does anyone find that it takes ages for Kindle to open - about 2 minutes? Maybe it is just my device but it is so frustrating!"

My old Kindle Keyboard is also getting quite slow, not just opening but when I first try changing collections or do other things. But after the initial (very annoying) delay, it seems to work okay. I don't want to exchange this old Kindle for a newer one because they don't have audio (except for the Fire) and I use the text-to-speech feature often.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Check to see how much free space you have.

My paperwhite was being slow to open a few weeks ago and someone reminded me to check and I realized I'd let it get too full without realizing it.

So delete until you have plenty of space left and reboot and see if that helps.

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Melanti wrote: "Check to see how much free space you have.

My paperwhite was being slow to open a few weeks ago and someone reminded me to check and I realized I'd let it get too full without realizing it.

So d..."

Good idea Melanti. I hadn't thought of that so will give it a try.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Leslie wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Hello

Does anyone find that it takes ages for Kindle to open - about 2 minutes? Maybe it is just my device but it is so frustrating!"

My old Kindle Keyboard is also getting quite ..."

Yes, it is the delayed opening part on mine too, Leslie. Otherwise it works fine.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Kristie wrote: "I would suggest you post in the Amazon Kindle discussion group. You're likely to get more responses.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

FWIW my Voyage is working just fine."

Thanks Kristie. I'll check it out.

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 208 comments Try this: turn your kindle completely off and after a minute restart it. Kindles, tablets, cell phones, etc should all be completely turned off occasionally.

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Kathleen wrote: "Try this: turn your kindle completely off and after a minute restart it. Kindles, tablets, cell phones, etc should all be completely turned off occasionally."

Thank you ,Kathleen. Yes I do switch all of them off when not in use. So far, it hasn't made much difference to Kindle, unfortunately. There's plenty of memory so I guess I'll just have to be patient!

message 10: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 439 comments Yes, my paper white and Fire both benefit from a restart every now and then.

They get tired. :)

message 11: by Faith (new)

Faith | 395 comments Melanie wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Try this: turn your kindle completely off and after a minute restart it. Kindles, tablets, cell phones, etc should all be completely turned off occasionally."

Thank you ,Kathleen...."

You have to do more than turn it off, you should try rebooting it. I don't know which device you have, but the general procedure is to hold down the power button for a few seconds and then it will start a reboot. I just did that for a kindle fire that wasn't charging completely and it cured the problem. I've also done that when page turns started getting slow on a paperwhite.

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Faith wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Try this: turn your kindle completely off and after a minute restart it. Kindles, tablets, cell phones, etc should all be completely turned off occasionally."

Than..."

Okay, I'll give that a try, Faith. Thanks. (It is on my tablet, an Archos Cobalt).

message 13: by Faith (new)

Faith | 395 comments Melanie wrote: "Faith wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Try this: turn your kindle completely off and after a minute restart it. Kindles, tablets, cell phones, etc should all be completely turned off occasi..."

It wasn't clear from your original post that you are talking about the app, not a kindle device. If rebooting the device doesn't work, you might try deleting the app and then reinstalling it. Good luck.

message 14: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 126 comments Oh! I thought you meant an actual Kindle! My advice was geared towards a physical Kindle, not an app.

Um, other than making sure there's no updates to your tablet OS or app itself, Not sure what else can be done.

What about any apps running in the background? If you have a ton of background apps constantly running that might affect other apps.

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Fraser (melaniefraservoiceuk) | 125 comments Ah yes, I should have mentioned it was an app! I usually only have one app running at a time. Audible and Bookshots are super fast. I'll try re-installing the Kindle app once the current book I'm reading is finished.

Many thanks to you all for your help.