Christian Ladies Book Club discussion

The Prodigal > The Prodigal- Chapter 14 Discussion Question

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
Bill Hall is moved to tears by Jacks sermon, and even invites him to speak again next Sunday without being asked. Do you think this is a sign Bill is starting to forgive Jack for everything?

message 2: by Britnie (new)

Britnie | 352 comments Mod
I think because of Jacks sermon, Bill was able to really see Jack for the first time since he returned. Bill can see that Jack is truly sorry for everything, and that he wants things to be different.

Bill couldn't make it clear enough that he didn't want Jack to preach, but was asked by the deacons to invite him. By the end of Jacks preaching, Bill invites Jack to come back next week without any prompting. I thing that's a very big deal. To me it's the beginning of Jack and Bill mending their friendship that was crushed so many years ago.

message 3: by Darlene (new)

Darlene I think so too. I think that sermon hit Bill right in the heart when he said "Maybe some of you know what it feels like to lose something and not know how you're going to go on. I'm guessing most of you do." I'm sure he was certainly thinking of the loss of his wife. The message of hope at the end though, "That hope can be broken. It can be battered. It can even be nailed to a cross and left for dead." "But don't believe it. Don't you believe it for a second. The love of God, the irresistible grace of God, washes through this world like a river. It cannot be stopped. It cannot be contained. And hope can be battered, but it is never dead."
I think that is what touched him. We all need to be reminded sometimes of our hope in Jesus Christ.

i think it's an important relationship to be fixed both for Bill and Jack.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Esparza | 119 comments It definitely seems that the words that Jack spoke, not only spoke to the people in the congregation but directly to Bill's heart. His heart was so hardened that he could barely stand Jack, but that's how God works. He pricks us in our heart and all of a sudden that hate, anger, or resentment starts to melt away. It really is a beautiful thing because now they can both have peace as well as hopefully rekindle their friendship again.