World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > Book launch case study: Netgalley and Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Feb 05, 2017 09:58AM) (new)

Alex (asato) Here's a case study just published on 1 Feb 2017 featuring the book launch for Mission: Jimmy Stewart and the Fight for Europe by Robert Matzen that uses both Netgalley and Goodreads.
"Here’s an overview of what you’ll find in the hour-long video discussion, with time stamps:

4:05: Getting to know the project and determining goals
9:05: What goals were set for the book
11:15: Action item #1: Create pre-publication buzz with consumer market targets (using NetGalley and Goodreads)
25:40: Action item #2: Obtain book trade reviews to establish visibility with buyers (librarians and booksellers) for holiday 2016 season
34:30: Action item #3: Generate major media coverage around release through Christmas 2016
42:15: Results obtained from action items #1 and #2
45:45: Results obtained from action item #3
49:00: Results recap
50:30: Key takeaways"
https://janefriedman.com/case-study-u...

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 12904 comments Is it as useful, as it sounds, Alex? Worth an hour or just key takeaways?

message 3: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments I think Netgalley could have saved me a lot of review grief lol but it comes at a price :)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Nik wrote: "Is it as useful, as it sounds, Alex? Worth an hour or just key takeaways?"

Nik wrote: "Is it as useful, as it sounds, Alex? Worth an hour or just key takeaways?"

sorry. i haven't gotten around to watching it, but i plan to, soon. you could skip to the aforementioned timestamps and watch each one until you don't find it worthwhile and skip to the next one.

netgalley would be interesting as i haven't heard a lot of writers using it and it seems like it would be a valuable mode of discovery.

Marie wrote: "I think Netgalley could have saved me a lot of review grief lol but it comes at a price :)"

ah, what's the price?

message 5: by Marie Silk (last edited Feb 06, 2017 03:04AM) (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments When I looked into it after the release of my book, I remember it being a few hundred dollars to enroll. Apparently there's a way to get a reduced cost when going through certain blog tours. I'll have to find that info.

message 6: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 1020 comments Out of curiosity, I had a look at the book mentioned in the first post to check out the rank. Then I read the blurb. It's exactly my kind of book and I'm definitely ordering it in hardcover haha. Thanks Alex :). Never heard of it until today.

message 7: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Marie wrote: "Out of curiosity, I had a look at the book mentioned in the first post to check out the rank. Then I read the blurb. It's exactly my kind of book and I'm definitely ordering it in hardcover haha. T..."

that's serendipity for you.

message 8: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 4 comments Here's the prices for Netgalley, btw: https://netgalley.uservoice.com/knowl...

You can buy into Netgalley as part of a group, usually through the same sites that do blog tours (but not necessarily as part of a blog tour). I'm considering one for my next release.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Aislinn wrote: "Here's the prices for Netgalley, btw: https://netgalley.uservoice.com/knowl...

You can buy into Netgalley as part of a group, usually throu..."

Thanks! so the least expensive option is thru IBPA for 3 months at $199.

message 10: by Aislinn (new)

Aislinn | 4 comments Yup! Though to be a member of IBPA it's $129 for a self-published author, so it's not that much cheaper.

message 11: by Nihar (new)

Nihar Suthar (niharsuthar) | 38 comments I've heard of a few fellow authors using Netgalley these days. Do you think it's worth it?

-Nihar
www.niharsuthar.com