Support for Indie Authors discussion

Fun > Do you have a Familiar?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Yeah. I got Dog. And don't never get between him and food...

message 3: by Robert Glider (new)

Robert Glider | 1 comments Randy, that's where you are hiding!

message 4: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Oh yes. My cat has started to appear on my Instagram as she's my muse for my WIP (about vampires) :-)

message 5: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Are spirits familiar?
I used to have a ghost who'd manifest its presence in different forms. Even after I moved seven hundred miles. Now my hubby can actually see it from time to time...Heck, even our old cat (RiP) saw it. The spirit use to chase him from a room to another. We had caught it on a security camera. It was too funny.

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Oh by the way, CB, I love your pet bat! :)

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Yes, nice bat, CB.

message 8: by C.L. (new)

C.L. Lynch (cllynchauthor) | 316 comments I think of mine as a daemon, like in Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. It's a dog. I've had him since I was a kid.

message 9: by Michael (last edited Feb 05, 2017 03:18PM) (new)

Michael P. Dunn (wordboy1) | 86 comments I don't know about a familiar but Grumpy Cat is my spirit animal.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Jags | 78 comments I am my cat's familiar. A very servile one who immediately comes when summoned.

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4257 comments Mod
I believe Ambrosia Corazón-Reine may be my familiar.

Nice bat, CB.

message 12: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Mine is more of a casual acquaintance.

message 13: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Vespia (cynv) | 27 comments I'm a big fan of snakes...so probably a snake.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Kent | 9 comments Image may contain: dog

This is my familiar.......!!

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 888 comments Do husbands count?

Mine can be pretty bloody familiar...

message 16: by Loren (new)

Loren Killdeer (lorenkilldeer) I'm the familiar of my bunny, if that counts. Now, I'm sorry, but I must make carrot lunch for her!

message 17: by C.B. Matson (last edited Feb 06, 2017 09:54AM) (new)

C.B. Matson | 143 comments GG - Interesting about your ghost, especially with the cat... we heard our dog around the house for about six months after he passed. I think both cats could see him; they'd look up when his collar clinked or if he jumped off the bed.

The concept of "Muse" has been over-worked (and grossly misunderstood). I prefer to have a Familiar. No expectations, no disappointments... jus' hang'n around.

My bat's been a fun project. [Wife shakes her head and walks away]

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet Lynn | 31 comments Tomato juice! I just discovered this. Last week I was stuck on a scene for three days. I decided to take a break and went food shopping. I was picking up a large plastic bottle of tomato juice and dropped it. I immediately knew exactly what characters to change, scene changes and and move it to another chapter. Who knew I have brains cells in my big toe!

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 91 comments A familiar? Interesting. Possibly. In no particular order:

A degu named Sam or "fuffy fing" or "eeyo ickle fuff"
A bearded dragon called Cossie
A tortoise called Crunch.
Coffee

message 20: by Rohvannyn (last edited Feb 06, 2017 11:42AM) (new)

Rohvannyn Shaw | 189 comments C.B. Matson wrote: ""
Wow, you really look like someone I know from Wordpress. A guy named Art who makes some awesome photomanips. I used to have a familiar named Orion, or so I called him when I was Pagan. He died over seven years ago, but the spouse and I still feel him walking on the bed or lying down near us every now and then. We don't mind our friendly household spirit. The other cat has been known to play with him. He raised her after all and they loved each other.

message 21: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Tee hee. Muse she is; you'll understand if you read book 6 ;-)
But my cat is my familiar; totally bonded. xx

message 22: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Christina wrote: "Mine is more of a casual acquaintance."

Mine are more than casual. We've grown quite fond of each other, even those who come and go.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jensen (kdragon) | 468 comments I have five of them - Roxy, Mitsy, Bug, Pepper, and Pip, all of the feline persuasion. Plus one mini dachshund named Ginger, aka Gingerpants, because she has to wear a diaper.

message 24: by Ariel (new)

Ariel C (missarielc) | 6 comments A parrot whose profane manner of speech turns the air blue.

message 25: by Charles (new)

Charles | 148 comments Here are three corporeal ones:

https://images.gr-assets.com/photos/1...

message 26: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C.B. Matson wrote: "I prefer to have a Familiar. No expectations, no disappointments... jus' hang'n around...."

Yep! So much more reliable too. :P

message 27: by John (last edited Feb 07, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

John Saomes | 15 comments Not sure if you can count a giant huntsman spider that perches high in my roof rafters ...looking down on my every move.
Living in the Australian bush I know she means me no harm and she does keep the pesky insects down. I'd say we are about half-way through her two year lifespan.

message 28: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 315 comments My familiar died a few months ago. He was a super kitty who sat on my lap while I wrote. The other cat just doesn't have the knack.

message 29: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments John wrote: "Not sure if you can count a giant huntsman spider that perches high in my roof rafters ...looking down on my every move.
Living in the Australian bush I know she means me no harm and she does keep ..."

They can take many forms. If your spider is looking out fo you she sounds like a failiar to me xx

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 91 comments (No. Not a spider. Never a spider. I don't do spiders.)

message 31: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Nat wrote: "My familiar died a few months ago. He was a super kitty who sat on my lap while I wrote. The other cat just doesn't have the knack."

So so sorry for your loss...lost mine two years ago and it still hurt thinking about it.

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 91 comments V.M. wrote: "Amy wrote: "(No. Not a spider. Never a spider. I don't do spiders.)"

Anything with more than 4 legs is Not Your Friend!*

*SIA does not discriminate against anyone with more than 4 limbs, except i..."

This is all correct. Although I can do the 6 legged things I feed to the lizard, but not any 8 legged things which should not exist in the same reality as me. Just no.

message 33: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 804 comments Hmm, does two dogs who have adopted me and a furball of a cat count? They seem to know when I need a break and will get me up to move to let them out or just for a pat on the back.

Furball (real name is Boo) seems to keep me awake at night so I have more time to dream up new stories...lol. I do have to say, I love the animals who are like children.

message 34: by John (new)

John Saomes | 15 comments As long as my eight-legged friend stays at roof level—and she seems to—all is okay.

message 35: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4257 comments Mod
*SIA does not discriminate against anyone with more than 4 limbs, except if you happen to be a spider... "

The above statement does not represent the position of all mods. I have no issue with spiders. I would rather have a spider than a fly, a mosquito, a tic, a cockroach...

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) No kidding! I've actually been researching which spiders are most effective in keeping mosquitos away. I'll take creepy cute over Zika any day.

message 37: by Angela (last edited Feb 09, 2017 05:55PM) (new)

Angela Verdenius (angelacatlover) | 27 comments I have cats, some of them wander in and out of the room when I write. I actually find them very relaxing - except when Evie decides to lie down on the desk and put her little back feet against the screen which just happens to be a pesky touch screen. Once she brought up a program I didn't even know I had! But I love having them around me when I write. (Actually, I love having them around all the time LOL)