The Sword and Laser discussion

Malazan Book of the Fallen edition other than mass paperback?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandro (new)

Sandro (sandrortavares) | 5 comments Is there a version of Malazan Book of the Fallen books in english in more regular format? I've only found them in the small Mass Paperback format which I must admit, i'm not a fan.

message 2: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Do you mean the trade paperback editions? These are the paperback books that are the same size as hardcovers.

And yes, every single book should be available in trade paperback (and hardcover and ebook).

If you're in the US and shop on Amazon, the easy way to find the trades vs. the mass markets is to click on the listing of "formats" for the book, and click the paperback option (Amazon only calls it "paperback" vs. "mass market paperback," which might account for some of your confusion).

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments Or if you're outside the US see if you're on the list of countries that Book Depository ships to for free.

message 4: by Sandro (last edited Feb 05, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Sandro (sandrortavares) | 5 comments David wrote: "Do you mean the trade paperback editions? These are the paperback books that are the same size as hardcovers.

And yes, every single book should be available in trade paperback (and hardcover and e..."

Hi David, Thanks for the answer. I'm from Europe so i've only considered the amazon.co.uk option and it didn't showed the paperback version (only ebook, mass, audio, library binding).

Buying from amazon.com isn't really a good option because the shipping costs will be a little crazy.

I'll try to use the ISBN from the paperback versions on amazon.com and see if I can find something out on .co.uk and bookdep.

message 5: by Sandro (last edited Feb 05, 2017 10:09AM) (new)

Sandro (sandrortavares) | 5 comments Kim wrote: "Or if you're outside the US see if you're on the list of countries that Book Depository ships to for free."

Hi Kim, yes, bookdepository would be more my alley since I'm from Portugal and i buy all my books there.

However I've searched there before creating this post and the only editions I could find were the mass paperbacks (except for the volume 9 I think).

Like I said to David, I'll try to use the ISBN from the paperback versions on amazon.com and see if I can find something out on .co.uk and bookdep.

Let's see If I can get lucky :)

message 6: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments Sandro, this may prove more useful to you: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?7324

That's a link the series page onthe Internet Speculative Fiction Database. One of the useful things that it has is a listing of the different books--and ISBNs. For example, if you click on the link for Gardens of the Moon (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cg...) you'll see a table of the different editions of the book. Look for any book that isn't "pb" (mass market paperback)--so tp, hc, ebook, whatever. Also, double check that it's an English edition, and maybe keep an eye out for UK publishers.

This can be wrong, though--when I tried to search one of the Bantam UK trade paperback entries, it brought me to the UK mass market paperback.

Another tip about using Amazon.co.uk (or any Amazon) is when you click on "See all 25 formats and editions" and you'll see the Amazon-sold books, but you can click on the little arrow to the left of "Mass Market Paperback" and it will list other paperback editions--including some non-mass market paperbacks. It seems that some book pages sort the out-of-print TPBs under the MMPBs. This is also a good time to start examining the book dimensions listed for the edition you're looking at.

I hope this wasn't too confusing!

message 7: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1519 comments Wait a second, wouldn't the library binding (that you said was at amazon.uk) be about what you want? IIRC that should be a larger format and be well bound to boot. I'm not looking at that page so I don't know the price difference, but you may want to give that a closer look.

message 8: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) | 908 comments According to Amazon.co.uk for Gardens of the Moon, the Library Binding format is out of print, and costs almost 24 pounds (vs. the 9 pounds for an MMPB vs. maybe 6 pounds for an out-of-print copy of a trade PB).

message 9: by Sandro (new)

Sandro (sandrortavares) | 5 comments David wrote: "Sandro, this may prove more useful to you: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pe.cgi?7324

That's a link the series page onthe Internet Speculative Fiction Database. One of the useful things that it has ..."

It wasn't confusing at all. Thanks for all the time you're spending with this.

Both isfdb and the amazon solution to show all formats and editions should prove to be useful. I haven't confirmed if a "not used" Trade paperback version for all the volumes is available but given how big they are, I guess i could start buying them slowly and one at a time.

However I find this case curious. A big saga, that won some awards and is somewhat known across the world and there aren't really any recent and coherent editions for the books.

message 10: by Sandro (new)

Sandro (sandrortavares) | 5 comments John (Nevets) wrote: "Wait a second, wouldn't the library binding (that you said was at amazon.uk) be about what you want? IIRC that should be a larger format and be well bound to boot. I'm not looking at that page so I..."

If there were library bindings for all the books and with coherent covers, I may have given it a look. But as it is, most of them are out of print or different from each other.