Behind the Eclipse: The Unheard from the West African Ebola Crisis . . . Behind the Eclipse question

How successful is the author in setting the context of the story?
Seongha Choii Seongha Feb 05, 2017 07:13AM
The long chapters at the beginning of the book gives kind of a slow going nature to the book but I feel that is the core of the book, or the spine of the story that keep the whole thing up right when the cascading part of the story begings after chapter 25 when George is hospitalized for Ebola. The author is very firm and clear about setting the context without leaving a single important element behind.

Of course, the initial stage of the story consists of some very long sentences which ,sometimes, require a second reading for a better understanding. But I think the whole thing up to chapter 25 adds an untold beauty to love the nature of West Africa :their life,culture,events and the bush. On the other hand, the author has built up the first part of the story :up to the 25th chapter, with ascending effect and the second part is descending to intensify the tragic scenes of the story. I feel the second part of the story is just like the Lofa river in the rainy season,flowing without stop, which marks a successful ending .

First part of the book is all about the context setting. Author has carefully and slowly but steadily constricted the context of the book well aligned with the realities of the geographical location where the story happens.

He makes the reader to climb a mountain, taking time in setting the context. Firm and informative characteristics are the back bone of the context. I feel that its well done. When you finish climbing the mountain, you know how the climb was, then you will not have times to think, the rush hour comes pushing you in to the precipice, as story accelerates with fast ascending thrill, emotions, intensity and intrigue, the reader is taken in the air and dropped at the last page. Then you open your eyes and realize- Oh George is still alive? .

I am not familiar to the context he talks about when it comes to history of Liberia. But I have been in many parts of West Africa in recent years, I feel the author has done the justice to the context, the book is very real and true.

He does to its perfection. I can guarantee that as I am from the same geographical location of the story.