Between the Pages (CLOSED) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
¤ Archives ¤ > Book Suggestions ~ MARCH

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Well, since February has already started, I think it's a bit late to start our monthly read so, I decided we would start in March. That leaves us a lot of time to decide on which book we will read. In this topic, you may leave any suggestions. Or if you don't have a specific book, you may suggest a genre or a theme you would like to read about. If you have any question, message me while I create a topic about it. <3 Thanks to everyone joining, I hope you have fun here. ^-^

message 2: by lorien (new)

lorien Is there anything in particular that you would like is to suggest or just recommend anything?

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherine_mooncakes) Have you read the Unwanteds? They're described as "The Hunger Games meet Harry Potter," and they're so good! As a lover of Keeper of the Lost Cities, I think you would really enjoy them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

How about The Piano Lesson?

message 5: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Catherine wrote: "Have you read the Unwanteds? They're described as "The Hunger Games meet Harry Potter," and they're so good! As a lover of Keeper of the Lost Cities, I think you would really enjoy them."

I love those books!

message 6: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas)
My recommendations:
1) The Night Circus
2) The Crown's Game
3) Salt to the Sea
4) Wintersong
5) Caraval
6) The Book Thief
7) Fangirl
8) A Murder in Time
9) A Study in Charlotte
10) The Last of August
11) The 100
12) Six of Crows
13) The Girl Who Drank the Moon
14) The Raven Boys
15) The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories

Sorry, I know that was a lot! I wanted to reach a broad number of genres with that list. Some I've read, some I haven't, so I have no idea how good a majority of the books are.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt would be a good book to kick off March with, don't you think?

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Lorien Rhys wrote: "Is there anything in particular that you would like is to suggest or just recommend anything?"

anything you would like to read with us! :)

message 9: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Catherine wrote: "Have you read the Unwanteds? They're described as "The Hunger Games meet Harry Potter," and they're so good! As a lover of Keeper of the Lost Cities, I think you would really enjoy them."

I wanted to read them for ages! I even borrowed it from my local library but never read it :c

message 10: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Willa wrote: "My recommendations:
1) The Night Circus
2) The Crown's Game
3) Salt to the Sea
4) Wintersong
5) Caraval
6) [book:The B..."

thank you so much!! :D I'll check them out and probably add some of them to the March poll

message 11: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Maggie wrote: "Willa wrote: "My recommendations:
1) The Night Circus
2) The Crown's Game
3) Salt to the Sea
4) Wintersong
5) Caraval
..."

Awesome! You're welcome :)

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I will accept suggestion until the 24th of February, after that I will be doing a poll for you guys to vote on the book you would like to read (you'll have a weekend to vote.) :D So many people joined and I'm so excited! Thanks to everyone inviting their friends and I just don't know what to say <3 thank you so much

message 13: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Maggie wrote: "I will accept suggestion until the 24th of February, after that I will be doing a poll for you guys to vote on the book you would like to read (you'll have a weekend to vote.) :D So many people joi..."

I'm so excited to vote and start reading! Can't wait <3

message 14: by Juny (new)

Juny | 1 comments These are books that I haven't read yet but are on my to-read-list and sound interesting to read with other people,
The Pearl by John Steinbeck
The Orphan King by Brouwer Sigmund
Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments A few other suggestions, based off of books currently on my tbr shelf:

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
Stalking Jack The Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco
Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks
The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan
Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
or The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater (that one doesn't count as one off my tbr shelf because I've read it thrice already BUT IT'S STILL GOOD)

message 16: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Nevernight is on my TBR shelf too

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Thank you both Susan and Juny <3

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) I'll second:
The Book Thief
Caraval
Wintersong
I'll recommend, but I have not yet read:
Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley
Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Mistborn #1 by Brandon Sanderson
Have-read recommendations:
The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

message 19: by Maggie (last edited Feb 13, 2017 02:30PM) (new)

Maggie thanks a lot !! :D By the way, I'm taking notes for the books suggested and I will keep them in case we need more suggestions for the upcoming months (if you don't re-suggest it for next month, if you do, well that's amazing and it will probably be chosen :p)

Also, as Sheila did, if you want to read one of the books above, please tell us, so it gets to the month poll for sure! :)

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments Ooh, I definitely second Wintersong *nod nod*

message 21: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) I'd love to read The Star-Touched Queen

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments Or A Darker Shade of Magic

message 23: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Susan wrote: "Or A Darker Shade of Magic"

That book was so good! It would be fun if we did a series reading of them because the third one is coming out soon.

message 24: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Also I second Magonia and the Goldfinch as well :)

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Should I post the poll before? And do everything sooner so you can have a week before march to get your book? (haha... I'm kinda impatient and really excited) Your choice!

message 26: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) That would be good. Is hard to get the book on time!

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments I concur with Willa. A week before would be much more convenient *nod*

message 28: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Maggie wrote: "Should I post the poll before? And do everything sooner so you can have a week before march to get your book? (haha... I'm kinda impatient and really excited) Your choice!"

Yes, at least a week before.

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Well then, the poll will be starting on the 17th of February and will go until the 19th! :) One week sooner

message 30: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Maggie wrote: "Well then, the poll will be starting on the 17th of February and will go until the 19th! :) One week sooner"

Thank you!

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan (iamsusaniguess) | 13 comments Might I also suggest Everything Everything? Simply because of the movie and I don't know if I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet??

message 32: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Susan wrote: "Might I also suggest Everything Everything? Simply because of the movie and I don't know if I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet??"

I thought I was the only one too! *high five*
There's just too much books I want to read before it

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for grabs? Do they need to be new, like less than a year old, which would narrow down the choices?

message 34: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments Here are my suggestions,

Mistborn
The Wrath and the Dawn
Throne of Glass
Shadow and Bone
Daughter of Smoke and Bone

I can give more suggestions these are just popular series/books that I haven't read yet and really want to!

message 35: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for grabs? Do they need to be new, l..."

well... I know this might anger some people but I'm not really a believer :( and I follow my own beliefs... I'm really really sorry ;-;
I've never read a christian book before (not that I don't want to, but never got to it or thought about reading one.)

Again... I'm sorry if I disappoint you guys...

Everyone can suggest anything, like seriously anything! Middle-age to YA to Adult (though it will range from our age. 12-18 most of the time.) But of course I always check and I don't put books that I think are not appropriate on the polls.
They absolutely don't need to be new!
Everything is up for suggestion and if the majority of people are interested in it, well we're gonna read it ! n-n <3
I'm really trying to do my best! ;-;

message 36: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Alexis wrote: "Here are my suggestions,

Mistborn
The Wrath and the Dawn
Throne of Glass
Shadow and Bone
Daughter of Smoke and Bone

I can give more suggestions these are just popular series/books that I haven't..."

same, and I feel like everyone has read them already ! Happy to know I'm not the only one <3

message 37: by Maggie (new)

Maggie THE SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS MONTH READ WILL BE CLOSED IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS! <3

message 38: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for grabs? Do they nee..."

Maggie, I only asked about the Christian part because I know that some of the group members are Christian, including myself, and I was wondering whether there was some limitations on the books we could suggest. So, thanks for answering all of my questions. No judgment from me :) And I get it. New groups can be hard, too, because you don't always even think of all the questions you need to answer ahead of time.

message 39: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Emily wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for gra..."

Okay thank you

If it's YA I don't think there is a limitation. But if it's an adult book then, I think people will be reasonable enough to not put something too rough :) Anyway, I always do my research on all the books suggested.

message 40: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Rodda (rjrodda) | 1 comments Resistance by Jaye L Knight (YA Christian) - Jace is my favourite new character

message 41: by Sheila (new)

Sheila G (foalsfictionandfiligrere) Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for grabs? Do they nee..."

I think in general, books that are extremely graphic, have gobs of profanity, too much explicit sexuality, should be steered away from. I think It's safe to assume that a majority of people don't appreciate those aspects in books. But if you do, that's your choosing. That doesn't go to say that the options would be narrowed down to being specifically Christian fiction/fantasy. I think majority of YA books today still hold some moral ground by not including everything listed above. In general, these books are always going to be more popular amongst a wide variety of peoples. I think it's when you start getting into adult fiction/fantasy when things can get dicey.

message 42: by Maggie (last edited Feb 16, 2017 03:14PM) (new)

Maggie Sheila wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anything up for gra..."

yeah, habitually the only thing that doesn't bug ME too much is like if I read a horror/thriller, I will actually don't mind the darker scenes and the graphic violence. But other than that, I totally agree with you.
This group is for everyone to join so of course, I will make sure (well, I'll try my best) to not get to anything too sexual or too detailed like, ya know... I respect everyone's opinion here :) Anyway, most of the book suggested don't contain that much of that content.
Like you said, YA shouldn't be too problematic, but if you suggest an adult book, just be careful :)

message 43: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Maggie wrote: "Emily wrote: "Questions: Do we want to keep to cleaner books or Christin books? Do they all need to be YA, since most of us in the group are about that age? Or is anyth..."

I agree that we should be careful about adult books but YA shouldn't be to bad.

message 44: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Susan wrote: "Might I also suggest Everything Everything? Simply because of the movie and I don't know if I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet??"

I haven't read it yet! I second that.

message 45: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments Willa wrote: "Susan wrote: "Might I also suggest Everything Everything? Simply because of the movie and I don't know if I'm the only person who hasn't read it yet??"

I haven't read it yet! I second that."

That book was really, really good in my opinion. I would have no problem reading that again or talking about it when everyone else has read it!

message 46: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments I was wondering if we could read a darker shade of magic. I just don't know if a 13 year old (like me) could read it because it is shelved as an adult book. Any thoughts?

message 47: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Alexis wrote: "I was wondering if we could read a darker shade of magic. I just don't know if a 13 year old (like me) could read it because it is shelved as an adult book. Any thoughts?"

It is shelved as an adult book, but I don't think it's because of sexuality or anything like that. It seems more like political themes and things like that. I haven't read it but I don't think there'll be a problem. Anyway, I'll try to read it as fast as I can (if it's chosen) and tell you if there is anything going in the bad direction :)

message 48: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments Ok thanks!

message 49: by Willa (new)

Willa Valentine (paper.seas) (paperseas) Alexis wrote: "I was wondering if we could read a darker shade of magic. I just don't know if a 13 year old (like me) could read it because it is shelved as an adult book. Any thoughts?"

It was not bad at all -- there was nothing sexual I noticed, and I thought it was great! It's more young adult than adult.

message 50: by Lexie (new)

Lexie Lou (lexie_lou03) | 1 comments I will definitely read it then! Thanks!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.