Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

This topic is about 1984
Specific List Books > 1984 and others

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 371 comments A number of classics are surfacing these days due to the ”situation” in the USA. Specially
The Handmaid's Tale
The Plot Against America
Animal Farm

As far as I know none of these have already been group reads, but my suggestion is to take those that hasn't and place them for voting for the next group read.

Nicola | 769 comments The monthly book books are chosen by a random number generator and then we vote for our choice from 3 sets of three.

Kaycie | 39 comments I do like the idea of making one of the reads a theme, though. Especially like J-Blueflower said with the situation in the US. The read can lead to a very relatable discussion!

Nicola | 769 comments If you want this J_BlueFlower then I would suggest messaging Charity and/or Mara directly. They might not read this thread.

Tiffany | 33 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "A number of classics are surfacing these days due to the ”situation” in the USA. Specially
The Handmaid's Tale
The Plot Against America
Animal Farm

As far as I know none of these have alread..."

I like this idea, as well. However, since they're resurfacing due to the current situation, they're really hard to find in libraries and bookstores right now!

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 371 comments 1984 and Animal Farm are free download on project Gutenberg.

message 7: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (jigme_datse) | 4 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "1984 and Animal Farm are free download on project Gutenberg."

I went looking. On Gutenberg.ca I can see both titles, but on gutenberg.org I haven't been able to find either. So it seems like there could be some debate as to whether it might be available in a given source.

message 8: by CC (new) - rated it 5 stars

CC | 12 comments Jigme wrote: "J_BlueFlower wrote: "1984 and Animal Farm are free download on project Gutenberg."

I went looking. On Gutenberg.ca I can see both titles, but on gutenberg.org I haven't been able to find either. S..."

It's a copyright issue. 1984 is not public domain in US, but it is in Canada.

message 9: by Jigme (new)

Jigme Datse (jigme_datse) | 4 comments CC wrote: "It's a copyright issue. 1984 is not public domain in US, but it is in Canada.
"

That was my understanding. Just wanted to point that out to people who might end up going looking, but didn't find it where they thought they were told to look.