Play Book Tag discussion

February 2017: Quirky > The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:26PM) (new)

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein has been sitting on my kindle for over a year, so I was glad to have an excuse to read it.

Having a dog as the narrator gave a (dare I say?) quirky point of view, to an otherwise rehashed type of family drama. Otherwise, I didn't care for the overall story as much as I had hoped. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to appreciate it. The book had some humorous moments though and I'd recommend it for those readers who are okay with anthromorphized characters or are into car racing.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5184 comments I didn't love it either.

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments I adored this book, possibly my favourite of those I read last year!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for posting, BooknBlues and Ellie. I love that we all can have varying opinions about specific books. :-)

message 5: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4830 comments When I started this book I was expecting not to like it, as I am wary of anthropomorphic characters. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed it very much although I can't say I was crazy about it. It managed to never fall off the edge into corny, though it came close a few times!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

annapi wrote: "When I started this book I was expecting not to like it, as I am wary of anthropomorphic characters. Much to my surprise, I enjoyed it very much although I can't say I was crazy about it. It manage..."

That is true! It did come very close to being corny a few times but managed not to fall off the edge there.