Read Scotland 2017 discussion

The Highlander: 6-10 Books > Mrs. C's Books

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *The Monastery* by Sir Walter Scott today.

message 2: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *The Legend of Montrose* by Sir Walter Scott today.

message 3: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and commented on *A Small Death in the Great Glen* by A. D. Scott

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 171 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Finished and commented on *A Small Death in the Great Glen* by A. D. Scott"

One of my favorite series!

message 5: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *Marmion* by Sir Walter Scott.

message 6: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished *Eye of the Needle* by Ken Follett. The last half of the book is set in Scotland--on an island off Aberdeen. Few Scottish characters, but the Scottish weather plays a role!

message 7: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Beginning *His Bloody Project* by Graeme Macrae Burnet.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 94 comments Mod
Ooh, I loved His Bloody Project, just convinced my Mum to start it! Let me know what you think...

message 9: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Ellen wrote: "Ooh, I loved His Bloody Project, just convinced my Mum to start it! Let me know what you think..."

So far really enjoying it. I know this is a work o fiction, but I do read a lot of "true crime," so this fits right in with my usual fare. I'm finding a lot of good books by reading other people's reviews in this group. Other suggestions?

message 10: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Ellen wrote: "Ooh, I loved His Bloody Project, just convinced my Mum to start it! Let me know what you think..."

I loved this book! More. More.

message 11: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *His Bloody Project." Now reading *Prince Otto* by Robert Louis Stevenson.

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 171 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Ooh, I loved His Bloody Project, just convinced my Mum to start it! Let me know what you think..."

So far really enjoying it. I know this is a work o fiction, but I do read a lot of ..."

It does read just like true crime. I was looking up the name online for info before I found out a couple chapters in that it was fiction! We are starting The Silver Darlings by Neil M. Gunn this weekend as a group read if you want to get a copy and join in!

message 13: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Currently reading *Blood in the Glens: True Crimes from the Scottish Highlands* by Jean McLennan.

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 171 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Currently reading *Blood in the Glens: True Crimes from the Scottish Highlands* by Jean McLennan."

Good book!

message 15: by Ellen (new)

Ooh yes, enjoy and tell us what you think!

message 16: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Ellen wrote: "Ooh yes, enjoy and tell us what you think!"

Good book. I think you'd like it. Reviewed it yesterday. Onward and upward!

message 17: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *Blood in the Glens*. Have now started *Pickle the Spy: or, The Incognito of Prince Charles* by Andrew Lang. Enjoying so far.

message 18: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *Pickle the Spy*. Now reading *When Eight Bells Toll* by Alistair Maclean.

message 19: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *When Eight Bells Toll*. Have several irons in the fire. Not sure which one I'll end up pursuing next.

message 20: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 29 comments Wow Mrs. C, you are really on a roll! I'm impressed! I will have to go look at your reviews and see if I can add to my book list. Love the Scotland authors : )

message 21: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Theresa wrote: "Wow Mrs. C, you are really on a roll! I'm impressed! I will have to go look at your reviews and see if I can add to my book list. Love the Scotland authors : )"

What's your favorite read so far?

message 22: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 29 comments I think "Amberwell" but that is probably because I love DE Stevenson so much. Certainly seeing everyone's list of authors is expanding my horizons and I have a LOT of reading to catch up on : )

message 23: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Have begun *In Search of Scotland* by H. V. Morton.

message 24: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments I'm reading *In Search of Scotland* at the rate of one or two chapters per day. In the meantime, I read an anthology of three novellas by Robert Louis Stevenson entitled *Tales and Fantasies*. Review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments I finished and reviewed *Voyageurs* by Margaret Elphinstone.

message 26: by Mrs. C. (last edited Apr 23, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and reviewed *Robert Stewart, Earl of Orkney, Lord of Shetland: 1533-1593* by Peter D. Anderson.

message 27: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Currently reading *Flight of the Heron*, first in a Jacobite trilogy by D. K. Borster. Very good! Has anyone else read these books?

message 28: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished *Flight of the Heron*

message 29: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 171 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Currently reading *Flight of the Heron*, first in a Jacobite trilogy by D. K. Borster. Very good! Has anyone else read these books?"

I haven't read them. Will look into them!

message 30: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Peggy wrote: "Mrs. C. wrote: "Currently reading *Flight of the Heron*, first in a Jacobite trilogy by D. K. Borster. Very good! Has anyone else read these books?"

I haven't read them. Will look into them!"

I enjoyed the first one, but haven't been too inspired to go on. Maybe someday. But the first in the series does give you an idea about what England did to Scotland in and after Culloden

message 31: by Mrs. C. (last edited May 31, 2017 10:54PM) (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Was surprised to discover that Wilkie Collins' *The Law and the Lady* had a split setting between London and Edinburgh. Some gentle humor on the Scottish penny-pinching, but he did make it clear that the Scots are only stingy with themselves--and are ready with an open wallet when a friend (or stranger) is in need. Wilkie Collins The Law and the Lady

message 32: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Wow Mrs. C, you are really on a roll! I'm impressed! I will have to go look at your reviews and see if I can add to my book list. Love the Scotland authors : )"

What's your favorit..."

Favorite's gotta be *His Bloody Project*. I loved the way the author pieced the novel together as if it were various approaches to the crime--eyewitness accounts, police reports, news accounts, court transcripts, etc. That was as interesting as the story itself.

message 33: by Mrs. C. (new)

message 34: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 24 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Has anyone read this? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Never heard of it; and scant reviews anywhere on the internet.

message 35: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments I did finally find it on AmazonUK, and it had good reviews. Of course, taste differs, but the author seems to have an interesting method--basing a modern mystery on a historical incident.

message 36: by Ancestral (new)

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 24 comments Mrs. C. wrote: "Finished and commented on *A Small Death in the Great Glen* by A. D. Scott"

I finished listening to this yesterday morning. I must admit I enjoyed it; though it did seem to ramble.

message 37: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Finished and commented on *Legacy of the Dead* by Charles Todd, an Ian Routledge mystery set in Scotland.

message 38: by Ellen (new)

Thanks for the recommendation :) Looks intriguing, I'm due a trip to the bookshop!

message 39: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Is there going to be a 2018 Challenge?

message 40: by Ellen (new)

So sorry, Eileen, thought I’d messaged you :(

Yes, I’ll set up the new group with the 2018 challenge on New Years Day (1st Jan) if that’s ok? I’ll try post a link to it in this group to make things easy :)

message 41: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 38 comments Ellen wrote: "So sorry, Eileen, thought I’d messaged you :(

Yes, I’ll set up the new group with the 2018 challenge on New Years Day (1st Jan) if that’s ok? I’ll try post a link to it in this group to make thin..."

Thanks!!

message 42: by Ellen (new)

No bother :) Have a great New Year!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Law and the Lady (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Wilkie Collins (other topics)