A Book Club for Diversity (ABCD) discussion

Welcome Info > This, That & The Other Things

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan Please comment here on the other things that interest you, such as: other books you are reading, t.v. & movies you've seen or might see, stuff you are doing, etc.

message 2: by Joan (new)

Joan So what do you think about this?
A judge in Virginia, U.S.A. has sentenced 5 teenagers to read a book a month and write a book report on each. They must choose from a list of books dealing with racism. The teenagers were convicted of vandalism using racist symbols and words.
www.nytimes.com/2017/02/08/us/black-school-racist-sexist-graffiti

message 3: by Karpov (new)

Karpov Kinrade | 33 comments Mod
Joan wrote: "So what do you think about this?
A judge in Virginia, U.S.A. has sentenced 5 teenagers to read a book a month and write a book report on each. They must choose from a list of books dealing with rac..."

I think this is a fabulous way of not just punishing bad behavior but reshaping it into something else. Educating. Racism is taught and can be untaught I believe.

message 4: by Jenni (new)

Jenni | 6 comments Joan wrote: "So what do you think about this?
A judge in Virginia, U.S.A. has sentenced 5 teenagers to read a book a month and write a book report on each. They must choose from a list of books dealing with rac..."

I wish more courts would apply measures like this. Too often teens are given a slap on the wrist or are allowed to get away with their bad behaviour over and over. It gives me hope that in the future more thought can be given to applying decisions like this.

message 5: by Joan (new)

Joan Jenni wrote: "Joan wrote: "So what do you think about this?
A judge in Virginia, U.S.A. has sentenced 5 teenagers to read a book a month and write a book report on each. They must choose from a list of books dea..."

I live in New York state which has just changed law covering prosecution of 16 &17 year -olds. They had been treated as adults but now may be tried as minors, although under some conditions they may be tried in criminal court. The change was quite difficult to get through our state government. Many legislators didn't want to appear "soft on crime".