Play Book Tag discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments This is probably my favorite book club/group I've ever found (online or in real life). I was just looking through different groups on goodreads and I was struck by how none of them really fit me and my reading habits except for PBT with how open all the challenges are. And everyone is just so nice and inclusive and easy to talk to and I'm just really happy about this group. So yeah, kudos for this group to all the admins and members b/c it's February, so love and all that. (And I'm also sick af and I'm probably high off cold meds rn lol.)

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Flo trying to compete with me for ultimate PBT Devotee! Lol! In truth, I agree completely and admire you for saying it. I think this group has been unusual and wonderful. I'm so glad that I found you or was found on safari. Every month has been a delight. I love sharing books and lives, and feel enriched. I agree that kudos says it all.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments High off cold meds or not, your comments really warmed my heart, Flo!! (and yours too, Amy). I am just gratified that over the years we have had people come and go, but somehow have managed to maintain warm, friendly, passionate readers who make PBT what it is!! It is a joy to have a hand in administering PBT because of our lovely members. So grateful we are still around . . .9 years!!

message 4: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments What a wonderful thing to say Flo (and Amy). we do work hard behind the scenes to try and make all our members enjoy their time here and I'm happy that you are fitting right in.

Anita - Nine years! Remember when we started out with a handful of members, just you and I figuring it out as we went? I wonder how many members are still here that were here from the start?

We better put on our thinking caps for the 10th year celebration!

message 5: by Barbara M (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:16PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2183 comments PBT started in Feb of 2008 and I joined in Sept of that year, the tag was dragons. Holy Mackerel, i thought, I don't read books about dragons! Well, I had committed so I read books tagged dragons and really enjoyed myself. I was so devastated when Shelfari went down, all I could think of was how could my reading life survive without PBT! I don't love GoodReads but I'm still totally in love with PBT and it's still stretching my reading beyond my usual. I'm with Flo, kudos to the wonderful admins for my happy years with PBT.

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Anita wrote: "So grateful we are still around . . .9 years!!
..."

And this month is the anniversary, as well! Wish I could say I joined at the very start, but it was close. I joined at the end of that first month, so I missed the first tag (one of my favourites, too! Historical fiction)!

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I hope PBT is around for many more years. I love it so, and totally agree that kudos should be paid to all of you admins. I was only just thinking how much I love having some direction in my reading life, and discussing books with people who appreciate them as much as I do has been just fabulous.

message 8: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Flo wrote: "This is probably my favorite book club/group I've ever found (online or in real life). I was just looking through different groups on goodreads and I was struck by how none of them really fit me an..."

It's neat to hear from the perspective of those who found us after we moved to GR. I have formed some really good friendships through this group that go way beyond the books. Glad you found us and that you found a welcoming atmosphere.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4905 comments That's exactly how I feel about this group too, it's the only one that has held my attention for any length of time and has become my only book "club". I joined in November of 2008 (the tag was Poetry). I love the interaction and the activities - we have the MOST AWESOME ADMINS!!

*Sigh*, I wish just once we could all meet in person.

message 10: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Flo, you are absolutely correct! This is why I have over twice as many posts here as on any other group I'm on on GR (this place keeps track!) It was my first ever group on Shelfari, although I came rather late in the game (2013).

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2083 comments I joined in July of 2008 but didn't participate until November. Poetry was the tag and it was way outside of anything I regularly read. Who knew? I ended up reading Judith Viorst, Jimmy Stewart (yes, THAT Jimmy Stewart) and Jeff Foxworthy. It has been an absolute pleasure to be part of such a group and I'm so glad we are still PBT. Thanks all.

message 12: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1440 comments I joined back in May 2008 and the tag was 19th century. I'm so glad this group survived the move from shelfari. The people here are wonderful. I have yet to meet any of you in person but hope to someday.

message 13: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Rachel wrote: "I joined back in May 2008 and the tag was 19th century. I'm so glad this group survived the move from shelfari. The people here are wonderful. I have yet to meet any of you in person but hope to so..."

Same here--I don't think I've met anyone here IRL and would love to. I did meet one Shelfari person in Boston and we had a fabulous time (and plan to meet again sometime this spring), but she's not from pbt.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Ladyslott wrote: "What a wonderful thing to say Flo (and Amy). we do work hard behind the scenes to try and make all our members enjoy their time here and I'm happy that you are fitting right in.

Anita - Nine years..."

Oh my gosh, yes, I do remember! And YES on the 10th year anniversary celebration . . .I'm glad you mentioned that. We really need to start thinking.

message 15: by Anita (last edited Feb 06, 2017 11:04AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Barbara wrote: "PBT started in Feb of 2008 and I joined in Sept of that year, the tag was dragons. Holy Mackerel, i thought, I don't read books about dragons! Well, I had committed so I read books tagged dragons a..."

LOL, I love this story, Barbara. It really is hysterical that the first tag for you was dragons because honestly, how many adults really do read about dragons? Very far out of my own comfort zone as well!!

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Hugs, hugs, hugs to all of you. I'm really amazed that people remember their first tags - - that is just so great!

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments So unusual for me, really stellar memory for things, to have no idea what my first tag was... and we're really talking like a year ago when Goodreads began, like last January. I'm going to have to scroll through to remember. I read the Lions of Al Rassan for fantasy. Completely drawing a blank before that....

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments It's true - just checked my list. I joined Goodreads at the last possible second I could and my first PBT tag was fantasy in June. As still Ultimate Devotee and Greatest PBT fan (Flo is giving me a run for my money) it somehow feels longer. So take it with a grain of salt when I say every single month has been amazing. After all, I seem only to have hit about nine or 10 of them. Still, I really love you guys, and I feel so enriched about what I've been exposed to. I never would have picked up some of these titles, and I'm a better person for it. Plus I've made a whole new group of friends.

message 19: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments I couldn't have said it better, Flo. I joined on Shelfari in May 2010. I had been on both Goodreads and Shelfari since early 2008 or late 2007, but hadn't joined any groups. PBT was one of the first groups I joined and I've been a member ever since. I've managed to read at least one book for each month's tag since then, too!

message 20: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Though I did join at the end of the first month (and I missed that tag), I have missed only 1 other month (I am so sad to say that I've missed any!!), and the worst part is that it should have been an easy tag, too (contemporary fiction)!!! How could I miss that!? I think I was traveling that month and had either genre fiction and/or nonfiction with me. Sigh...

As for meeting people in person, I've met two, though one of those people is no longer active with us. Some of you may remember cpauley929 (and many/most of you have heard this story too many times!) - we did a cruise together in 2009. We met in person the night before and shared a hotel in NYC before our Canada/New England cruise, where we shared a room. Had a great time! Have seen her once since in New Orleans (she is from western Louisiana and now lives in Texas, but she drove to NOLA to meet me for a day).

Anyway, have also met Regina when she and her husband, Tracy, were in Alberta for their 25th wedding anniversary! I loved that you guys came here for your anniversary! :-)

There have been a few "almosts", but they didn't happen (at least not yet).

message 21: by Karin (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Anita wrote: "Oh my gosh, yes, I do remember! And YES on the 10th year anniversary celebration . . .I'm glad you mentioned that. We really need to start thinking.

..."

Sure, and this is what wiki says for 10th wedding anniversary

10th Tin, Aluminum Tin and then modern (thanks to the diamond industry's relentless advertising) Diamond jewelry

Just a bit of thought fodder for you lovely and hardworking admins :).

There's a lot with tin and aluminum (aka aluminium in the UK etc) you could do. Foiled??? (pun intentional as first it was tin foil and now aluminum foil--my mother kept calling it tin foil as I was growing up). I'm sure you can find plenty of canned ideas online, or perhaps even a cat a hot tin roof, and who knows how many other things. I'm going to stop here even though other things are jumbling in my mind -- although it was the scarecrow who needed the brain and the tin man who needed the heart (I said I'd stop, didn't I? Time for some aluminum foil on my head to stop aliens from messing with my mind???)
Tin Man by America

PS there are songs and books about foil (weird al does one song, apparently, but I can't listen since I'm at my daughter's university), songs on the elements, and so much more. I really should stop and go read a book. A novel or something totally unrelated to tenth anniversary metals since it's not likely this will actually be our celebratory theme (but, naturally, there is a small possibility.)

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Maybe for the tenth we do actually try to have some smaller groups of folks meet up to celebrate... Up here we have Nicole, Karin, Jen, and myself... I'm far busier than I must seem, but with some serious advance notice, like a number of months, I could potentially pull it off.....

message 23: by Karin (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:39AM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments Amy wrote: "Maybe for the tenth we do actually try to have some smaller groups of folks meet up to celebrate... Up here we have Nicole, Karin, Jen, and myself... I'm far busier than I must seem, but with some ..."

Yes. Nicole R is in easy driving distance of us (or train, or whatever).

Also, my son will be auditioning for music schools, so if I travel, I hope to meet some pbt people. eg There is a chance we'll end up going to Houston for his first choice of schools if he passes the first round of auditions and has managed to do well enough on standardized testing (his weak spot).

message 24: by Flo (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:55AM) (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I'm in NYC, so if anyone is ever around the Big Apple... :D

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments I have not managed to meet any of the PBT members in person ... though I came close once with Nicole R when I was in DC. Have had numerous "conversations" via email with the admins, and others, though.

I have met with a couple of Shelfarians / Goodreaders in person, however. Two members, in particular, who live in San Antonio ... we get together every time I'm back home. I've even attended F2F book club with them a couple of times!

I think the idea of trying to pull-off a get-together for the 10th anniversary is a splendid notion! One of the groups here on Goodreads does this every year ... a sort of mini-convention. The host member arranges a group rate at a hotel and about a dozen (or more) members make the trek to enjoy food, wine, tourist sites, and lots of talk about books. This year was in San Diego; 2017's meeting will be in Asheville NC.

message 26: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments I'm too far, I think, for it to be easy for anyone to see me. And, because I just bought a house last year, there won't be any travelling for me, anywhere except to/from my parents' place or my brother's, anytime soon.

I like the tin/aluminum idea for the 10th anniversary, Karin! Of course, I'm not one of the creative admins, so I wouldn't have a clue what to do with it! ;-)

message 27: by Karin (last edited Feb 07, 2017 06:26PM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I'm too far, I think, for it to be easy for anyone to see me. And, because I just bought a house last year, there won't be any travelling for me, anywhere except to/from my parents' place or my bro..."

Well, I gave a few clues for ideas ;). However, there may be many ideas out there. I can think of a lot to do with the tin/aluminum with books, etc, but having no experience putting together this sort of a thing on GR, I don't know if it would be the best idea or not.

But, the aluminum foil hats reminds me of scifi, the Tin Man of characters, etc, the songs, etc, books, so it is just a thought that might not go far enough. It was spur of the moment when I read that, not well thought through!

message 28: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Flo wrote: "I'm in NYC, so if anyone is ever around the Big Apple... :D"

Live on Long Island, a 30 minute ride in on the LIRR. I'm in Florida now until the spring, but I'm up for a meet at anytime. I've met several PBT members over the years.

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Book expo is in NUC this May if any of you will be going. Tessa - we've met in person and I'm a PBT member. I've also met up with both Nicoles and Tracy :)

Anita and I seem to often be in the same state at similar times but have yet to meet.

message 30: by Ladyslott (last edited Feb 07, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jen wrote: "Book expo is in NUC this May if any of you will be going. Tessa - we've met in person and I'm a PBT member. I've also met up with both Nicoles and Tracy :)

Anita and I seem to often be in the same..."

NUC or NYC?

I've met Nicole D, Anita and Regina. Trying to meet Nicole R this summer

message 31: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think the anniversary should be in Melbourne. ;-)

message 32: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments Jen wrote: "Book expo is in NUC this May if any of you will be going. Tessa - we've met in person and I'm a PBT member. I've also met up with both Nicoles and Tracy :)

Anita and I seem to often be in the same..."

How could I forget that great dinner we had at The Purple Pig (I think that was the name of the restaurant) ... all the people around us had also been to Book Expo and we talked books from table to table!

Actually I didn't forget meeting ... but didn't associate you as a PBT member ... I think I was associating you with your blog.

message 33: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Didn't we try to do an in-person meet up for the 5th anniversary? Can't remember.

I've spent a good bit of time with Nicole R and have met Linda and Anita several times.

I've also met Care and her kids, Cindy, Leah and her precious boy and husband, as well as two other members who no longer participate. Hope to meet Deborah in Ireland this summer.

message 34: by Jen (last edited Feb 08, 2017 04:50AM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Jen wrote: "Book expo is in NUC this May if any of you will be going. Tessa - we've met in person and I'm a PBT member. I've also met up with both Nicoles and Tracy :)

Anita and I seem to often be..."

Yes, the Purple pig! I had forgotten where we met!

message 35: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Jen wrote: "Yes, the Purple pig! I had forgotten where we met..."

Is that the The Purple Pig in Chicago? I love that place.

message 36: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Jen wrote: "Yes, the Purple pig! I had forgotten where we met..."

Is that the The Purple Pig in Chicago? I love that place."

Yes, it was great

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Susie made me chuckle. Can I also vote my participation points towards Melbourne? Sounds good to me....

message 38: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments A gathering would be a great way to celebrate. Although it's only my 1 year anniversary of joining your group, I feel like I've known you longer...except for the oddity that is Hot Milk, my review is coming soon for that but I'm a little baffled.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments You know my mother and another good reads friend and their entire book club didn't like it either. So when we have a negative review, we are never truly alone. I share your bafflement about 100 years of solitude, which I figured would get me thrown out of the group. About the joining, I have the felt experience and that maybe we joined around the same week. Like I think you were one of my first friends when I joined. True?

message 40: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8118 comments Amy, if disliking a book that most members have enjoyed, I'd certainly have been booted as an admin, let alone a member, a long long time ago!!! LOL! I seem to be reading a string of them in 2017, already, as well... (That is, ones everyone else loved and I'm either disliking or lukewarm toward...)

message 41: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4905 comments Me too!

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments I too have had almost no raves in 2017, and I have read 15 books! But I am reading Constellation now and I have high hopes for finally a much needed five...

message 43: by Karin (last edited Feb 09, 2017 06:38PM) (new)

Karin | 6919 comments So true, Amy, what LibraryCin said about disliking books. I have disliked books that were very popular on pbt. I dislike very intensely some of the books on the top 100 lists. Part of the fun of this group is being able to disagree about books without rancour.

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments If I don’t read a five star book soon I am going to freak.

ok, not really, but I could be off to a better start.

Lol on Hot Milk, Jennifer. My book club was divided 50/50 between 1 star and 5 star reviews.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8280 comments Oh Anita! I feel exactly the same way! 16 books in 2017, and I'm so hungry for a 5 star rating. Constellation is great, but at %65 its shaping up to be a four. Better than a lot of what preceded it, but still… I am waiting.

message 46: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I don't think it's ever good to go into a book expecting it to be great. I was certain based on all the people here who loved Hot Milk so much. I don't always agree with each of them but together I thought it was a sure thing. It didn't help that I had to stop a book I was loving to read it quickly for a book club.

message 47: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Amy wrote: "Oh Anita! I feel exactly the same way! 16 books in 2017, and I'm so hungry for a 5 star rating. Constellation is great, but at %65 its shaping up to be a four. Better than a lot of what preceded it..."

Wow, and 16 books is a LOT. I haven't read nearly so much, so probably shouldn't be complaining.

message 48: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "I don't think it's ever good to go into a book expecting it to be great. I was certain based on all the people here who loved Hot Milk so much. I don't always agree with each of them but together I..."

I have to agree that reading a book after a lot of raves almost ensures that one will be disappointed. Hot Milk was recommended especially to me, and I think it really, really resonates if you are a female child of divorce. Or if you have had struggles with your parents. It also really helps if you've had a terrific English lit professor somewhere along the line (which I was fortunate enough to encounter in high school). It's a book that requires a lot of reading between the lines to really appreciate, and absolutely not one that can be rushed.

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5632 comments Amy wrote: "Oh Anita! I feel exactly the same way! 16 books in 2017, and I'm so hungry for a 5 star rating. Constellation is great, but at %65 its shaping up to be a four. Better than a lot of what preceded it..."

My first 5-star read of 2017 is book # 19 .... A Man Called Ove (finished on 02Feb17).

message 50: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Amy wrote: "Oh Anita! I feel exactly the same way! 16 books in 2017, and I'm so hungry for a 5 star rating. Constellation is great, but at %65 its shaping up to be a four. Better than a lot of what..."

Yikes - - so what is this? 2017: The Year of the Slow Start.

Glad you finally got one though, and have to say I agree with the choice!!

19 books by now? IMPRESSIVE.

« previous 1