Real Christian discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Bible Buddy Reads > February Bible Reads

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I'm giving everyone just a little bit longer to vote here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

As soon as the book/books are chosen, we'll start right away. Sorry for starting this late again :(

message 2: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Okay, it looks like we will be reading 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Hebrews, and Ruth (27 total chapters). I'm closing the voting for the poll.

Here's a good passage from 1 Timothy chapter one verses 15 through 17 that I hope we can all echo. (NIV version)

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16 But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) I will try to jump in sometimes. Busy month for me.

message 4: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I know what you mean. I had hoped to have this thread up and running on the first of the month... Please pop in when you can! It's always nice chatting with you :)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Vargas (mickie_v) | 1 comments Great choices!! My Sunday school class just finished both Timothy back in November and we're gonna be in Ruth the last two sundays of February

message 6: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I'm glad it will be fresh to you!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Karis wrote: "I know what you mean. I had hoped to have this thread up and running on the first of the month... Please pop in when you can! It's always nice chatting with you :)"

Aw, thanks! It's great chatting with you too.

message 8: by Karis (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

Karis | 739 comments Yes, I hope that we will all learn a lot from these books of the Bible.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

1:3-11 As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia remain at Ephesus so that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith. The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Certain persons by swerving from these, have wandered away into vain discussion, desiring to be teachers of the law without understanding either what they are saying or the things about which they make confident assertions.
Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and the disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners for the unholy and profane for those who strike their fathers and mothers for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the Glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.

This sounds like what is happening now in the world.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ch 2 v 1-3 says that we should pray for all people, for those in high positions that we may lead peaceful quite lives, godly and dignified in every way. This pleases God.
This is the perfect passage to pray each morning. (This should be the motto written on every government buiding, court house, news van, and protest sign)

V 7 I like how Paul says "I am telling the truth, I am not lying", I know he is being serious but it makes me feel like I could see him on the street preaching today.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Really great first couple of chapters in 1 Timothy. A verse seemed to be the answer to my prayer this very morning, but I'm still praying about it to make sure.

I especially like how Paul is mentoring Timothy. Even though I'm sure he already taught him in person before Timothy was appointed as a pastor, Paul continues to teach him via letters. That continuance of teaching (by Paul) and learning (by Timothy) is so neat, and I hope to be on both sides of that in my lifetime. That I will teach as God directs and learn always.

Have a beautiful day, y'all!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 08, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

That is what this group is about - being both student and teacher to each other. I will pray that you have clarity, courage and peace in whatever you are facing. God Bless you

message 13: by Andrea (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:00AM) (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Rita Faye wrote: "That is what this group is about - being both student and teacher to each other. I will pray that you have clarity, courage and peace in whatever you are facing. God Bless you"

God continues to amaze me. Rita Faye, "clarity, courage and peace" are exactly what I need from Him right now, and He knows the area of my life that I'm talking about. It's something pretty exciting but overwhelming at the same time. He is so directing your prayers today! Thank you for listening to Him! :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It gives me great pleasure to be one of the tools that God chooses to use from His well stocked toolbox as He crafts this area of your life.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Teems Jr. (jrteems) | 13 comments I like 2 Timothy 3:12-13. Paul the Apostle reminds me to remember that I will not suffer indefinitely by God. Our God is greatly merciful.

message 16: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Rita Faye wrote: "Ch 2 v 1-3 says that we should pray for all people, for those in high positions that we may lead peaceful quite lives, godly and dignified in every way. This pleases God.
This is the perfect passa..."

Thank you, everyone, for keeping the discussion going despite my absence in the group the past few days. I've been really busy with school and haven't been able to get on GR.

I love how Rita pointed out our Christian responsibility to be praying for those is positions over us. It is such a good reminder of something we often negligent to do. Forgetfulness is the number one enemy of prayer. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to pray without ceasing.

Also, I really love the verses in 1 Timothy 4:12, Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. The prophet Jeremiah also claimed that people wouldn't listen to him because he was too young. It's really neat to see God's response in Jeremiah chapter one.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Last week of an editing job. Will be absent until at least February 19. Hoping to finish both books of Timothy and Ruth (which is my personal favorite and one I read often), but will have to pass on Hebrews this time around.

message 18: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments We'll miss you :(. I encourage you to read the books on your own if you can.

message 19: by Karis (last edited Feb 11, 2017 02:32PM) (new)

Karis | 739 comments In 1 Timothy chapter 5, Paul is rather specific in his instructions on what qualifies a widow for the church to support which has always really stood out to me when reading this passage. Paul does not want the church under Timothy to become so entangled in trying to help everyone that they can't focus and really help those who need extra help. Those people often are the ones that don't ask for help even then they are in difficulty because they are so used to serving others and don't see themselves as people in need. I'm thinking of several lovely ladies at my church that are very much this way. I know that God will bless them greatly for their lifestyle of serving others. Those are people that I, as a young person, look up to and seek to emulate their behavior.

Later in the chapter, Paul also reminds Timothy not to show favorites. verse 21 I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favoritism.

In some of the end verses of chapter 6, Paul exhorts Timothy to continue walking in the way of God. But you, man of God, flee from all this [various sins mentioned in the preceding verses], and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Karis wrote: "We'll miss you :(. I encourage you to read the books on your own if you can."

I will once my deadline is over. Right now I have another previously-started Bible study that I am continuing in my daily quiet time, but there is not extra time until this deadline is over.

I will miss you too!

message 21: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Andrea wrote: "Karis wrote: "We'll miss you :(. I encourage you to read the books on your own if you can."

I will once my deadline is over. Right now I have another previously-started Bible study that I am conti..."

Ah, okay.

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Well, God's changed my plans again. :) I love it when He does that.

He has asked me to write a Bible study, so my focus now has to shift to the study and research involved in that. I really wish I had time for everything! But I can't stretch myself too thin. I will not be finishing this month's study of the Timothys, Hebrews, and Ruth. I love those books, though, so I will return to them someday.

Will you pray for me? This is the first time I've ever attempted to write non-fiction, and a Bible study too! I am overwhelmed with humility for being asked to tackle such an endeavor and awe that God would bestow such an incredible blessing and responsibility upon me. Thank you!

message 23: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Andrea wrote: "Well, God's changed my plans again. :) I love it when He does that.

He has asked me to write a Bible study, so my focus now has to shift to the study and research involved in that. I really wish I..."

Of course, Andrea! I will be praying that God gives you the insight and wisedom that only comes from Him. Sending hugs and prayers your way!

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Thank you so much, Karis!

message 25: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I'm glad you have this opportunity to learn and challenge yourself.

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) Me too. God is so good.

message 27: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments He is!

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 28, 2017 06:19PM) (new)

Just read Hebrews and Ruth today, there is much to take notice of in Hebrews but I have picked only two.

Hebrews 2:1-3 Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable, and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation?

Hebrews 10:19-25 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that He opened for us through the curtain, that is through His flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

The beginning and end of Hebrews is filled with making sure we don't neglect our salvation and encouraging others.

Ruth is a story of faith and devotion.

Ruth 1:16, 17 But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you.

I find it interesting that a woman that is devoted to her mother-in-law gets her own book in the Bible but most people think that mother and daughters-in-laws are usually at odds with each other. Maybe we should pay more attention to our relationships with our in-laws.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.