Play Book Tag discussion

February 2017: Quirky > The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul - Adams - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2) by Douglas Adams Published in 1988, this is the second book in the Dirk Gently series. I really enjoyed this one. I listened to the audio read by the author (great job) and also had a book. This is a fantasy/sci fi book where Dirk Gently is a detective. The title may seem to not fit the novel but wiki tells me that this title is a phrase that appeared in Adams' novel Life, the Universe and Everything to describe the wretched boredom of immortal being Wowbagger, the Infinitely Prolonged, and is a play on the theological treatise Dark Night of the Soul, by Saint John of the Cross and refers to that time on Sunday when the weekend is over and the weekday has not started "In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul." Dirk Gently calls himself a holistic detective. He has been hired by a man who wants to be protected from a large green monster set on killing him. He suspects the client is nuts but after he is found beheaded on a record that is playing "don't pick it up" he decides to follow the clues to find out what has happened. It is a riotous tale and truly quirky. I enjoyed this much more than I did The Hitchhikes Guide to The Galaxy. I did read it out of order and will need to eventually read the first book. This is a book with alternate universes of man and Valhalla. Technology is not very advanced in 1988 and this book makes fun of it. It's also about man forgetting the deities that had been called into being by humanities need for faith. Rating 3.5 leaning toward a 4.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6238 comments Ok, that quote is killer! Love it. It makes me want to read the whole book even though the rest of your description indicates it is totally not my thing. But that quote.