Play Book Tag discussion

February 2017: Quirky > A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - 5 stars & heart

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Feb 05, 2017 01:52PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2131 comments I might not list this as Quirky (not a shelf I use anyway) but 17 others did so I'm using it here - besides, I loved it!

This will be a favorite of mine for this year - for sure. I just recommended it to my mother and I'm going to recommend it to many others. I listened to the audio and I'm so glad I had the time to invest in some deep listening - I'm working on a quilt for my grandson and the clock is ticking to his birthday in just 18 more days!

Ove (thank goodness for audio - I know to pronounce it as Ooo-va) is a curmudgeon for sure. Our first introduction to him shows just how contrary he can be! He's in a computer store looking for a O-Pad and can't figure out why, when they hand him the box, they won't give him a keyboard with it! He's a bit out of step with today's technology among other things. Then that chapter goes into the background for awhile and the story of Ove up to that point starts. We have the current Ove and periodically a story of the man who was called Ove, which shows a piece of Ove's past story. Each chapter starts with "A Man Called Ove . . . . or a "Man Who Was Ove. . ."

In the current story Ove is very unhappy, he goes into work on a Monday and is told he's being let go after many years. He's only 59 according to the story, but he seems older. That doesn't seem to the be only thing getting Ove down but the true reason is revealed in little hints here and there for probably the first 1/4 of the book. Ove is a man of principle, he is moral, and thinks everyone else should be the same but knows they are not - they frustrate him.

I laughed and I cried (but not until the end). It is sweet with a bit of sour mixed in. Just lovely! The narrator does a nice job.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4822 comments You should see the movie, it was very good too!

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 7939 comments I plan to listen to this when I'm finished my current audio, as well.

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2131 comments annapi wrote: "You should see the movie, it was very good too!"

I just heard about the movie! I hadn't known there was one.

message 5: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Movie is nominated for best foreign film this year. I loved it too.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3751 comments Oh god, I've been pronouncing Ove wrong this whole time....

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8056 comments Me too - I found that interesting in the review. I seem to be the DTB reader in the group.

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4822 comments Amy wrote: "Me too - I found that interesting in the review. I seem to be the DTB reader in the group."

What's DTB?

message 9: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2673 comments annapi wrote: "Amy wrote: "Me too - I found that interesting in the review. I seem to be the DTB reader in the group."

What's DTB?"

Dead Tree Book

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8056 comments Lol - it took me awhile to get a hold of the acronyms too... but definitely a devotee of the public library. I read in bed, between patients, waiting for kids, and at other odd times...

message 11: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2131 comments Amy wrote: "definitely a devotee of the public library. I read in bed, between patients, waiting for kids, and at other odd times..."

Well, I'm a retired librarian and rarely got to read anything but book reviews, created a long tbr! Now that I'm retired, I have lots of time and many hobbies but I've always loved to read. I love audios because then I can listen while gardening and quilting and even washing the floor. I love e-books too because they sync between my tablet and my phone - I can read anywhere at any time as long as I have my phone! AND, I get them all at my library - audios and e-books. I rarely, rarely buy a novel, only reference books.

message 12: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Barbara wrote: "I love e-books too because they sync between my tablet and my phone - I can read anywhere at any time as long as I have my phone! AND, I get them all at my library - audios and e-books. I rarely, rarely buy a novel, only reference books. ..."

I love my ebooks too. I can read on my Kindle, my iPad or my phone. Never without a book! I also get almost all my books from the library, but I use Audible for my audio books because I like to Whispersync when I can, so I pay for my subscription, but the library books will still sync if it's a Kindle book. I walk and ride my bike a lot so audio's are a big part of my life.

message 13: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2131 comments I did a trial with Whispersync and it is great. I'm hoping the library will somehow get it for the masses (me!)

message 14: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments This was a favorite of mine last year. So glad you enjoyed it.

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Good to hear the movie is good. It is next on my Netflix queue.

message 16: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Ove was delightful!

message 17: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Barbara wrote: "I did a trial with Whispersync and it is great. I'm hoping the library will somehow get it for the masses (me!)"

I don't think that will happen. Whispersync is Kindle based and tied into Audible, both owned by Amazon. The book you borrow from the library is a Kindle book, but the audio books form the library are not from Audible, so it's unlikely that will happen anytime soon.

message 18: by Karin (last edited Feb 07, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Karin | 6806 comments Joi wrote: "Oh god, I've been pronouncing Ove wrong this whole time...."

I have a hard time pronouncing it right and I know better!!! I even spoke German when I was little and always do the v as an f if I see German (not that I know much--very, very little). However, I say Volkswagen the English way, even though I know Volk is said almost exactly like folk and the w is like a v.

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6238 comments Joi wrote: "Oh god, I've been pronouncing Ove wrong this whole time...."

How is it pronounced? I've been pronouncing it in my mind as rhyming with Stove.

I'm guessing that's not right.

Is it O-vay? That would be my second best guess.

message 20: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6238 comments Jennifer P. wrote: "Movie is nominated for best foreign film this year. I loved it too."

It's on Netflix? I need to check that out.

message 21: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3751 comments Anita wrote: "How is it pronounced? I've been pronouncing it in my mind as rhyming with Stove.."

That's how I was pronouncing it too- rhyming with stove.
According to the trailer here, it's more like Oooh-Vay.

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 7939 comments Anita wrote: "Is it O-vay? That would be my second best guess..."

That's close, Anita. On the audio, it sounded kind of like "Ooooo-vuh". Pronounce the e on the end like they do in German. (Like my last name, if I pronounced it the German way!)

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8056 comments Ok, I know I said I would be not reviewing books for 10 days while in Sunny Mexico, but as I am halfway through My Grandmother Asked, and since we're on the subject of Ove, I just thought to add as a preview... this book is simply exceptional! It has my five stars already.

message 24: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6806 comments Amy wrote: "Ok, I know I said I would be not reviewing books for 10 days while in Sunny Mexico, but as I am halfway through My Grandmother Asked, and since we're on the subject of Ove, I just thought to add as..."

My Grandmother? Hooray--it was 5 stars for me!!!! I only wish more people liked it as much as I did, and here you are.