Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Jumbled January Reads 1/2

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1362 comments There are two reasons why the reconstruction of my reads for the monthly posts felt jumbled. One is that I purchased a book journal online that turned out not to be suitable for me. It took me a while to find all my notes in that journal. The second reason is that the one book at a time rule that I instituted didn't work for January. I had multiple reviewing commitments with deadlines and books that were taking longer to read than I expected. So I had to put books aside to read another one. This causes disorganization in my journal because I start notes for one book before I finish with another one. I have to write a to be continued notification for the book I've put aside. Then when I reconstruct my notes, I need to find where I continued books that had been put aside.

1)The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco (YA fantasy) Source: Net Galley Started: 1/2 Finished: 1/7

Why Read: It sounded interesting that the protagonist was a necromancer and that she brought her dead brother back to life.

Comments: It's epic fantasy which draws on background from Memoirs of a Geisha. So if you liked that book and you think that a fantasy novel with pseudo-geishas might float your boat, this may be a book for you. I'm not a fan of Memoirs of a Geisha and I had characterization problems with this book. I rated it B-. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

2)Ghost Talkers by Mary Robinette Kowal (historical paranormal M/T) 304 pages. Source: Library Started: 1/8 Finished: 1/10

Why Read: I'm interested in a spiritualist medium corps used militarily. This sounded fascinating. The medium corps passes on military information from dead soldiers to their commanding officers. I've been wanting to read this for some time. There is also a mystery element in this book. The F2F mystery group that I attend selected it as a future book for discussion. So I felt that I needed to get to it if I could.

Comments: This was the best book I read in January. It was original, suspenseful and well-written. I rated it A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

3)Mandate of Heaven by J.C. Kang (alternate history fantasy) Source: Amazon
Started: 1/12 Finished: 1/28

Why Read: This the fourth book in a series that I've read and reviewed. The Princess protagonist has a great many challenges in this book and I wanted to see how she resolves them, and indeed why her ruling family retains "the mandate of heaven".

Comments: The mandate of heaven is a concept that I discuss in my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20... I gave this book a B+ because I liked the dragon and I liked the way it all resolved.

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments Ghost Talkers sounds like something I'd really like!

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments Melodie wrote: "Ghost Talkers sounds like something I'd really like!"

Me too. I've already requested it from the library.

message 4: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Me three.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14179 comments Nice list Shomeret! Very tempting. It's been a long time since I read Memoirs of a Geisha, The Bone Witch looks interesting along with Ghost Talkers

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14179 comments Good luck with sorting out your book journal. It must be frustrating to have to start over.