Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's January Reads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Feb 09, 2017 04:02PM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3) by Charlaine Harris Night Shift by Charlaine Harris. Read by Susan Bennett. 4/5

Strange happenings again in Midnight, TX. This time strangers are coming to town and committing suicide at the crossroads. The cause and the solution (involving dark powers of course) are a fun ride, as well as getting some closure to a few of the stories begun over the trilogy. I am sad to have finished this surprisingly entertaining trip to a place where humans and nonhumans live together in harmony... or not.

Heartsick (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #1) by Chelsea Cain Heartsick. Chelsea Cain. Read by Carolyn McCormick. 4+/5

I am always torn when I find myself in the middle of a book that I both can’t put down and dread continuing to read/listen to. Unfortunately, Heartsick is one, and I’m sad to say it. Loved the character of Archie Griffith and his supporting cast, as well as the spunky reporter Susan, assigned to shadow him and document his story. Hated the sick and twisted relationship between Archie and serial killer Gretchen Lowell, and hated even more the explicit violence and descriptions of torture. This reminded me of the Karin Slaughter series, which I stopped after reading one, and the Tony Hill/Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid, which I devoured. The latter stopped just short of my ability to tolerate violence and dysfunction, the former went beyond it. If I thought this was the most violent of the series I would continue, but IMO authors develop a pattern and stick with it. Too bad, I really wanted to read another book with such interesting character development and intricate plotting, but I don’t have the stomach for it. I would have given this a 5 had it not been for the violence.

The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian The Guest Room by Chris Bojahlian. Read by Mahjan Marno and Grace Experience. 5/5

Interesting literary novel with a thrillerish plot. A man agrees to let his brother’s bachelor party take place at his suburban home, with disastrous results. The story's twists kept me engaged and the two narrators, one representing the suburbanite at whose home the party takes place, the other representing a Slavic prostitute caught in a series of events beyond her control, were excellent.

When All The Girls Have Gone by Jayne Ann Krentz When All The Girls Have Gone by Jayne Ann Krentz. Read by Amanda Leigh Cobb. 3/5

A good solid romantic mystery by Jayne Ann Krentz. Just good enough to keep my interest. Seattle resident Charlotte Sawyer is watching her step-sister Jocelyn’s apartment when keys mailed by a recently murdered friend arrive in the mail. The murder victim’s cousin has hired PI Max Cutler to look into her suspicious death and, well, you know what happens next.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Pretty good start for the year.

message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2929 comments Chelsea Cain does not get any easier, nor any less violent.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Carol

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments Good month! Glad you enjoyed the Midnight, TX, trilogy!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14171 comments Excellent month Carol! You read several that I have loved. The violence and dysfunction between Archie and Gretchen was more than I could take after I think two of the books. Karin Slaughter I can get past it because of the characters but understand that the level of violence pushes very hard.
I was surprised at how much I liked The Guest Room. I must read more from Bojahlian.

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Barry wrote: "Chelsea Cain does not get any easier, nor any less violent."

I had wondered so I looked at some reader reviews for books down-series and they confirmed what I suspected and you have said. Oh well, plenty of other books to replace it!

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Ann wrote: "I was surprised at how much I liked The Guest Room. I must read more from Bojahlian ..."

Me too Ann. I looked at some of his other titles and none of them popped out at me but I will keep looking. If anyone else has read Bojahlian and can recommend something please do. I've just reviewed his titles again and the plots are so very different. It's amazing to me that one person can come up with so many ideas and spin them into well-regarded books.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3557 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Ann wrote: "I was surprised at how much I liked The Guest Room. I must read more from Bojahlian ..."

Me too Ann. I looked at some of his other titles and none of them popped out at me but I will k..."

i'm a big fan of chris bohjalian's. i loved midwives, transistor radio, before you know kindness, his newest- the sleep walker, water witches, night strangers..
actually i like almost all of his books - skeletons at the feast was very slow reading and if i hadn't gone to a booksigning of his while i was reading it, i would have put it aside. still haven't read close your eyes, hold hands (although it's on my book shelf) or the sandcastle girls.

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14171 comments Good to know Sherry! Before You Know Kindness just found it's way to my tbr!
Sherry wrote: "i'm a big fan of chris bohjalian's. i loved midwives, transistor radio, before you know kindness, his newest- the sleep walker, water witches, night strangers..
actually i like almost all of his books "

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1592 comments Great reviews Carol!!

message 12: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7753 comments Sherry wrote: "i'm a big fan of chris bohjalian's. i loved midwives, transistor radio, before you know kindness, his newest- the sleep walker, water witches, night strangers....."

Glad to hear so many are good, Sherry, although I think you like non-mysteries a little more than I do so I'm still not sure where to start. Anything pop out as something I would like?

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3557 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Sherry wrote: "i'm a big fan of chris bohjalian's. i loved midwives, transistor radio, before you know kindness, his newest- the sleep walker, water witches, night strangers....."

Glad to hear so ..."

his newest, the sleepwalker, has a little mystery to it. i loved midwives- it was the first book ofhis that i read.