Station Eleven
This topic is about Station Eleven
AWNE 1.0 > AWNE February Pick: Station Eleven

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Devin (new) - added it

Devin Lee (indieinsomniac) | 64 comments Mod
Alright folks, (or just Lena :P)
Here's the thread for some Station Eleven chatter.
For now, I'm heading off to Chapters right now to pick it up.

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz (lschubert) | 1 comments OKAYYYYY, I had to join for the discussion of this one. Especially since Steve bashed it. I loved this book.

message 3: by Lena_makridina (new)

Lena_makridina | 33 comments My friend is with us. She had to listen to all my previous rants and she got interested. But I'm not sure she'll stay. She's a none-fiction girl.

message 4: by Devin (new) - added it

heh Glad to have you aboard Liz. :)

Lena, Who knows maybe she'll like it.

I still got like 100 pages left of Bear and The Nightengale, then I'll be starting up Station Eleven :P

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 9 comments Guys I ordered my copy second hand from amazon, it will arrived the 24. :(

I will post and read the comments by the end of the month.

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 9 comments Indie wrote: "heh Glad to have you aboard Liz. :)

Lena, Who knows maybe she'll like it.

I still got like 100 pages left of Bear and The Nightengale, then I'll be starting up Station Eleven :P"

How is it?? I don't want to get too excited about it... but I'm really really excited XD

message 7: by Devin (new) - added it

The 24th isn't so bad. hah From what I've been told by the people who loved it, it's a pretty fast read :)

Truth be told, I'm still in The Bear and the Nightingale. :P The last few days have been a little hectic heh. But I'll be getting to it soon.
Lena - have you started yet?

message 8: by Lena_makridina (new)

Lena_makridina | 33 comments No, I haven't. I had a glimpse at two first pages. I could see some of the cliches we have heard about. But to tell you the truth I don't read that much to be annoyed by them:)

Hi, Tina:) Maybe I'll read Steinbeck first. I've got East of Eden:)

message 9: by Devin (new) - added it

Just finished Bear and The Nightingale.. So Ill be jumping into Station Eleven now. :) well after I get off and get some sleep :p

message 10: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 9 comments How was The bear and The Nightingale?

message 11: by Devin (new) - added it

Absolutely loved it! :) One of the first books in a long time I cant think of really anybl significant criticism. :) Though evidently if youre really big on russian history there are "liberties" taken with some facts and Arden has a note in the back explaining aome of the translations were done for the benefit of English readers, sometimes at the expense of accuracy.

but ya I loved the book

message 12: by Devin (last edited Feb 14, 2017 11:33PM) (new) - added it

.... 11 pages in ..... Station Eleven isnt boding as well. But Im trying to not nitpick the prose, as long as the story delivers Ill be cool with it.

message 13: by Devin (new) - added it

If I have another reading night at work tonight like last night... I'm probably going to have to do an impromtu - AWNE group exclusive unlisted video just ranting about what I'm seeing so far lol... I feel it coming on.

message 14: by Devin (new) - added it

Alright I have a grip that I NEED to get off my chest. But it was straight up a spoiler for the ending-ish of the book so I couldn't put it in the video... So..

(view spoiler)

heh anyway.... you guys have anything to add? Maybe something I left out of the video, or just general observation?

message 15: by Lena_makridina (new)

Lena_makridina | 33 comments Yes. You're absolutely right.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Devin (new) - added it

haaha yeah, Exactly!! :)

message 17: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Huntz (lectito) | 9 comments Guys I'm so late to the party but I'm going to comment anyway.

I struggled for the first 2/3 of the book, the whole 'we don't know how to work a solar cell or a generator' it was too much. And there are parts of the prose where an editor is so badly needed. But the novel does picks up pace in the last act. Maybe it was Clark's POV that made everything make sense, (probably the part she wrote first) but honestly if it was not for him I could have care less about what happenned. I'm glad I read it though, just a reminder not to trust hyped books. XD

message 18: by Devin (new) - added it

Tina wrote: "Guys I'm so late to the party but I'm going to comment anyway.

I struggled for the first 2/3 of the book, the whole 'we don't know how to work a solar cell or a generator' it was too much. And th..."

It's never too late to talk about these books! :)
That's very well put, I agree. Using Clark as the device to keep things connected and together was a good idea - though I think you may be right and it was the first part she wrote lol

In my video I said this was a dystopian genre story trying to be a literary. I definitely stand by that statement, moreso now that I'm ACTUALLY reading a literary dystopian.

I have numerous agree tweets and quotes while reading this to say I agree with it needed at least another edit. In the end, I think it was just a case of her reach extending her grasp. If she would've scaled it back closer to the genre routes that it seems like the story wanted to go with .. it could've been stronger.