Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)
This topic is about Do You Want to Start a Scandal
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Do you want to start a scandal

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Andrea | 635 comments Here we go again, guys :) I hope this one will be as much fun as the last!

BTW, do we want to read a certain amount of chapters a day? Or do we just exchange comments as we go along?

Happy reading!

Lacey | 267 comments Yay! I'm super excited :D I like the idea of reading a certain amount of chapters better.

Andrea | 635 comments Becca and I usually went for three chapters a day with our past BRs. This has 24 chapters plus an epilogue, so that would be 8 days of reading. We'll wait and see what Becca thinks ^^

Lacey | 267 comments Sounds good to me :)

Becca | 209 comments Lacey wrote: "Sounds good to me :)"

I like the idea of three chapters and discussion, but if it looks like we can read more (since there are 24 chapters, these may be short), we can adjust accordingly after a couple days! Thanks for setting this up Andrea! I look forward to discussing this book with you both :)

Andrea | 635 comments Ok, so why don't we read the first three chapters and see if we want to read more or less?

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "Ok, so why don't we read the first three chapters and see if we want to read more or less?"

Works perfect for me! I will start today!

Lacey | 267 comments Perfect :) I'll start today too.

Andrea | 635 comments Ok. The first three chapters were really short :) I'm already done with them.

Lacey | 267 comments I just finished reading the first three chapters and so far I like it :)

There were scenes that made me laugh, especially the library scene in the first chapter :D I like the hero just okay So far, although I'm still confused what's his job exactly... I mean I know he's a spy, but what exactly was he hoping to find in the library?his mission is a still a mystery to me. I like the heroine and I think she's funny. She mentiones several times that he's too old for her, I'm really curious about his age. I'm not a big fan of a big age gap, but it's not something that would ruin a story for me.. I do hope that she tells us how old he is though.

So, what did you guys think??

Andrea | 635 comments I still loathe Mother Highwood (I forgot how much I hated that woman...), and I thought the scene in the library was cute, up until that little brat showed up. That was just too over-the-top for me...

I think he said something about (view spoiler)?

I agree, it was weird the way she kept insisting he was too old. I mean. She is the youngest daughter (for some reason I have no memories of her from previous Spindle Cove books. How about you guys?), so I'm guessing she's... Barely 20? It would've been perfectly normal for her to marry someone who's at least 30, right? We'll see ^^^

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "I still loathe Mother Highwood (I forgot how much I hated that woman...), and I thought the scene in the library was cute, up until that little brat showed up. That was just too over-the-top for me..."

The only book I've read in the Spindle Cove series is Any Duchess Will Do so I've never met the Highwood family (I think so.. I can't remember if they were mentioned in the book) but I completely agree with you; Mother Highwood is really annoying! and I just wanted to hit that brat when he showed up... I thought the scene was funny, and I could imagine myself laughing like Charlotte at the sounds they were making.

Yeah, I think she must be 20. Sooo if he's 30, it's perfectly normal at that time period.

Andrea | 635 comments She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a novella. But I really can't remember her...

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a novella. But I really can't ..."

I'm adding the older sister's book to TBR since this Colin seems like my kind of hero and everyone loves him from the reviews I've seen.

Andrea | 635 comments He is adorable ^^ so is the one from book #1 btw ;) I had some issues with Minerva, but I ended up loving the book because of Colin.

Becca | 209 comments Lacey wrote: "Andrea wrote: "She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a novella. But ..."

I have not read Colin's story so maybe we could read it together! I am almost done with chapter 3. Thus far, I like it. When I read Say Yes to the Marquess, one of the only characters I liked was the older brother Piers who was aloof, secretive, and brutally organized. I thought the beginning was wince-worthily funny, even with the annoying child. I think this story could have a nice blend of romance, humor, and a little mystery so I'm excited!

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a novella. But I really can't ..."

I had to look up the two sisters also! I read Diana's story with the blacksmith, which I think I liked ok but didn't care much for the sex scene (although I've become more desensitized since then since everyone is doing more graphic sex scenes nowadays).

message 18: by Gio (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gio Listmaker  (giohumanistlistmaker) | 70 comments Image result for lurk gif

I am lurking on this Thread as I have read it and wanted to see your thoughts.

I about had a heart attack when I saw that Lacey hasn't read Minerva's story. She is one of my favorite heroines in the Spindle Cove series.

Anyhoo, enjoy ladies.

Andrea | 635 comments Becca wrote: "Andrea wrote: "She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a novella. But ..."

Oh good, it's not just us ^^ I agree about the novella. I didn't like that one very much either. Plus, given the mother's character, I found it very hard to believe she would just give up like that, especially since that sister was the most beautiful one and she had such hopes for her...

Andrea | 635 comments Gio wrote: "I am lurking on this Thread as I have read it and wanted to see your thoughts.
I about had a heart attack when I saw that Lacey hasn't read Minerva's story. She is one of my favorite heroines i..."

:D Why hello, friendly lurker! (as always, love the gif^^)

I agree, we can't have that. Not read about Colin and Minerva. Unacceptable! ;)

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "Lacey wrote: "Andrea wrote: "She must've been there before, because her older sister Minerva (married the Colin who shows up) had book #2 (loved it), and the sister who marries the blacksmith got a..."

Oh, yes! we must read it together that'll be fun! I like Piers so far. I like a hero who seems cold on the outside but is actually a sweetie :)

Can't wait to see what's gonna happen!

message 22: by Lacey (last edited Feb 06, 2017 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacey | 267 comments Gio wrote: "

I about had a heart attack when I saw that Lacey hasn't read Minerva's story. She is one of my favorite heroines i..."

Hello there! welcome, you must tell us what you thought :)

Oh god! I have to read this book!

Andrea | 635 comments Is it me, or is Charlotte being really stupid for someone who vows doesn't want to be caught in any more situations that might force them to marry? Just a thought. I know it's supposed to be fun and all, but apparently, I'm not in the mood :(

Andrea | 635 comments And please tell me it's just me who thinks her constant "if only you would give live a chance"s are annoying as hell...

P.s.: Sorry if I'm being bitchy you guys...

Andrea | 635 comments And I do like the teasing (the hair-ruffling was kind of precious), but I somehow hate the way she thinks all he needs is love is just... Really really naive. But hey. She does like to remind us that she's too young...

Becca | 209 comments Andrea you're making me sad! We need to be hopeless, silly romantics when we read Tessa Dare! We are not allowed to be realists!! :)

I had to make an emergency visit to the vet this morning (my cat is ok thank heavens), but I didn't get to read as much as I wanted. I'll post my reading progress when I head to bed tonight!

message 27: by Gio (last edited Feb 14, 2017 06:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gio Listmaker  (giohumanistlistmaker) | 70 comments Andrea wrote: "Is it me, or is Charlotte being really stupid for someone who vows doesn't want to be caught in any more situations that might force them to marry? Just a thought. I know it's supposed to be fun an..."

Lacey wrote: "Gio wrote: "

I about had a heart attack when I saw that Lacey hasn't read Minerva's story. She is one of my favorit..."

Becca wrote: "Andrea you're making me sad! We need to be hopeless, silly romantics when we read Tessa Dare! We are not allowed to be realists!! :)

I had to make an emergency visit to the vet this morning (my ca..."

Becca, Sorry to hear about your cat but I am happy it is ok.

Lacey and Andrea
I thought it was fun but I really enjoy the house party trope. The annoying kid was hilarious. I love when the Hero thinks himself indifferent and then falls hard for the goofy girl. Tessa tends to pull this off effortlessly. (view spoiler)

Becca | 209 comments I must say that I am enjoying this story very much. I have either been smirking or giggling for most of this story and I like both characters. Piers for his honest, earthy attraction to Charlotte, and Charlotte, well, because she is a hopeless dreamer and a kind soul and a woman I'd want for a friend. I just got to chapter 8...how are you guys doing?

message 29: by Lacey (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacey | 267 comments Just got to chapter 7, I've been really busy today and that's all I've been able to read.
I'm loving it so far! it's been a while since I've read a book that made laugh, and this one is definitely funny :D I couldn't help laughing when her mother started explaining what happened during the wedding night.
I really like both characters, but I gotta agree with Andrea on the love thing... it's starting to annoy me. Oh, and she's twenty btw. Now we need to know how old he is.
The kid is still as annoying as ever... especially his constant yelling "MURDER...MURDER" what's up with him? I wonder what's going to happen :)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "And please tell me it's just me who thinks her constant "if only you would give live a chance"s are annoying as hell...

P.s.: Sorry if I'm being bitchy you guys..."

Nope, you're not alone! but I guess I'm in a better mood than you because I'm still enjoying the book.

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Is it me, or is Charlotte being really stupid for someone who vows doesn't want to be caught in any more situations that might force them to marry? Just a thought. I know it's supposed to be fun an..."

Normally, I'd agree with you. But somehow I find it funny!

Andrea | 635 comments I'm still stuck at chapter six. But I'll catch up to you guys tonight (well, my tonight :)). If I make it past the "I don't deserve her"s...
Again. Sorry!!!!!!! I have to read at least a chapter of my fantasy book (full of monsters, blood, and gore) for each chapter of this. I guess I'm really really REALLY not in the mood for romance these days :(

Becca | 209 comments That's a bummer, Andrea! I understand though...sometimes a book just doesn't work for your current mood. This novel is pure silliness and I'm anticipating several sex scenes I'll flip though (I have never really liked Dare's sex scenes), but I enjoy the funny dialogue and farce. However, if you're in the mood for something intense or realistic...this definitely wouldn't be it! I just hit chapter 10...should is wait for you and Lacey to catch up?

Lacey | 267 comments I think I'll catch up with you today Becca, I'm in chapter 7.

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "That's a bummer, Andrea! I understand though...sometimes a book just doesn't work for your current mood. This novel is pure silliness and I'm anticipating several sex scenes I'll flip though (I hav..."

This definitely is pure silliness! and it doesn't bother me :D but as you said I'm in the mood for this kind of silliness.

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm still stuck at chapter six. But I'll catch up to you guys tonight (well, my tonight :)). If I make it past the "I don't deserve her"s...
Again. Sorry!!!!!!! I have to read at least a chapter o..."

I know how you're feeling, it happens to me a lot! you're probably rolling your eyes non stop when you read this book.

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "Andrea wrote: "you're probably rolling your eyes non stop when you read this book..."

Not all the time. Just every time she says sth along the lines of 'all you need is love'. I do like Piers (well except for the 'she deserves better' thing). And I think if she wouldn't be so... OTT I think I would like her. I like clumsiness and even whirlwinds who turn the guy's world upside down, but... I can't get past the fact that she says she doesn't want to be forced to marry him and then climbs into his bedroom at night because she just HAD to talk to him. I'm overthinking this ^^
And I promise I will catch up!

Andrea | 635 comments Oh, btw, Becca, she just said she was 16 during the novella with the blacksmith. Might be why we don't remember her ^^

message 39: by Andrea (last edited Feb 08, 2017 06:21AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Andrea | 635 comments Please don't hate me. But. Did she really just go into hysterics because she lost a freaking bookmark???? I really can't relate to this level of ditzyness. Her actions have been stupid all along to me, and this charming, airheaded girl is supposed to be oh so smart that she can ferret out secrets out of a hardened spy??? I'm really really really REALLY sorry I'm bumming you out, guys! But I think this might be were Tessa Dare's books and I part ways...

Andrea | 635 comments I'm sorry guys, but I can't take this anymore. I quit. Hope you have fun with the rest of it :)

Becca | 209 comments Yeah--I got to that part about her age. I read that novella a couple of years ago which is why I don't remember. I felt like something fluffy and insubstantial...I recognize that the book is silly, but I'm enjoying it anyway. As for the bookmark--it was because of what it signified, not just because it was a bookmark. There are a few items of value to me (that have no monetary value) that I would freak out about if I lost so I guess that behavior makes sense to me. Sorry it isn't working for you. I wouldn't blame you if you quite on the book--it looks like you may need a break from historical romance for a while anyway.

Lacey--I only read a little more this morning so just let me know where you get to and I'll match pace! No problem if you need more time, I completely understand when things get busy. It is usually me everyone is waiting for :)

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm sorry guys, but I can't take this anymore. I quit. Hope you have fun with the rest of it :)"

AH you posted right when I was writing my response! Spooky. Anyway, no problem. Perhaps when you are ready to return, we should read something a little more intense...Mary Jo Putney perhaps? She usually has adventure elements with less silliness that may appeal to you. But for now, enjoy your guts, gore, and tough love in your fantasy books :)

Andrea | 635 comments Becca wrote: "But for now, enjoy your guts, gore, and tough love in your fantasy books :)..."

Thank you! I will treasure it :)

As for the other one, I've never read anything by Mary Jo Putney. As long as there is less fabricated drama. Less stupidity. Less Cheesiness ;) Or we just wait until February is over and the ever-present reminders that it's the effing season of love (*gag*) have disappeared ;) I might be tiny little bit allergic to that

Becca | 209 comments Andrea wrote: "Becca wrote: "
As for the other one, I've never read anything by Mary Jo Putney. As..."

MJP is known for more emotional romances with unique themes. She also has a historical/fantasy series with one of the books (Kiss of Fate) being an all-time fave of mine. I usually read hers if I am in the mood for a darker romance with some suspense thrown in. I have been meaning to read some of her older ones--you can check it out and see if any interest you. The Bartered Bride series looked intriguing to me.

As for Valentine's Day, sorry it has put you in a bad mood. I'm using it as an excuse to get a meal out to eat at some point during that week, but I enjoy my anniversary in March much better! Valentine's Day can definitely get a bit over the top!

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "I'm sorry guys, but I can't take this anymore. I quit. Hope you have fun with the rest of it :)"

No problem, don't force yourself :)

Lacey | 267 comments Becca wrote: "Yeah--I got to that part about her age. I read that novella a couple of years ago which is why I don't remember. I felt like something fluffy and insubstantial...I recognize that the book is silly,..."

Becca I'm on chapter 10 right now. What chapter are on? so that'll know how much you're ahead of me. Thanks for waiting for me, I've been busy but I'll catch up soon :)

Becca | 209 comments I'm currently in the middle of chapter 11. I planed to read through chapter 12 tonight. Would that work for you Lacey? I'm happy to wait and read something else if you need a break for a day :)

Lacey | 267 comments yes, that'll work just fine. Thanks, but I'm okay for now I think I'll catch up. But if I need a break I'll let you know :)

Becca | 209 comments Lacey wrote: "yes, that'll work just fine. Thanks, but I'm okay for now I think I'll catch up. But if I need a break I'll let you know :)"

Awesome!

Lacey | 267 comments So, I'm on chapter 15.

I'm liking it so far, I thought that her reaction when she lost her bookmark was a bit dramatic and they looked for it in the middle of the night with only a candle to light their way... a bit unrealistic. But it didn't bother me that much, I was able to ignore all silliness.

I didn't really care for the sex scene in the woods. And she's now in love with him and wanting to make him love her but he thinks that he can't love... I'm sensing a lot of drama at the end because of a stupid misunderstanding so I'm kind of reading and waiting for it... but I'm optimistic :) maybe it won't bother me!

So, what do you think Becca?

« previous 1 3