Blazing Readers & Wordy Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive Writing Competitions > February 2017 Writing Competition

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lorien, In Between (last edited Feb 04, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

lorien | 2558 comments Mod
Hello everyone! This is where you'll be posting either your finished stories, relating to the theme, or stories that you need to work on. Put those stories in spoilers and then when you're done writing it, please take off the spoilers. ^.^
Please keep your stories 1000 - 6000 words and remember: today is the official day you may post your story and February 28th will be the closing date. Good luck to everyone and may the best writer win!
Also be sure to keep the theme in your stories!

Mystery

A strange occurance has been going around town. . . and it isn't pretty. Whispers of chocolate being poisoned have been ignored but then after a week from Valentine's, sweethearts and all sorts of people who have ate just one chocolate immediately fell ill a week after the chocolates were handed out.
So who is behind this scheme? Is it just students from school playing a cruel joke, or is it something more sinister?

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Morgan | 1 comments I should have been cold but I wasn't, I should not have been able to see but I could, but one thing I was was hungry.
How long had I been in here, a day, a week, a year? What was time anyway but sands in an hour glass uselessly falling from one cylinder to fill another. Time didn't matter in this room.
I sit up in my bed that is nothing more than a solitary mattress anchored into one of four concrete walls that faces a steel door. I walk aimlessly around my small confines, and let my vacant mind drift to thoughts of my mamma and a better time.
We are at a crowded beach, people are sunbathing, groups of young boys about my age are throwing a frisbees that never seems to get caught, toddlers are building sandcastles, and countless bodies occupy the blue waters ahead. I watch as the white caps of the small waves roll in and break against the golden sand. I'm afraid, I tell my momma. What if I can't swim, what if something eats me, or we get separated? Mamma responds with an embrace as warm as the sun above, places gentle kisses upon my head, and assures me in her soft and melodic voice that she will never let anything happen to her beautiful little girl. How I miss my mamma. I can sometimes hear her on the other side of the door if I strain my ears hard enough and focus just right. Mamma is always arguing with a man that has a deep and gravel filled voice. I don't know when I made the decision but I didn't like him and the way he was always yelling at mamma because all she wanted to do was let me out.
I wonder if I did something wrong or if I was sick and maybe contagious, but one thing I am certain of is that I am in here for good reason, because mamma loved me too much to carelessly lock me away and listen to the bad man.
Something outside breaks my concentration and voices that I shouldn't be able to hear ring in my ears, "Damnit Lorraine it's to risky, what if someone sees her, they will take us all away, is that what you want?" It's the bad man yelling again. "You know she isn't healthy but still you don't want to listen."
"She has been locked in there for three weeks, maybe what she has is gone, maybe she is cured. It's possible I know it is, I have been praying every night." It's my mamma pleading again for my release.
"There is no damn cure for the last time, I know you watch the news, it's been about all you have been doing since she got sick."
"Can't we just let her out for a little bit, she is just an innocent and scared little girl, I'll be careful I promise."
"For the last time, no and don't you dare go near that door while I'm gone." Gravel voice is very angry today and I feel sad for mamma, if I could just dissappear to ease her pain I would.
I listen more and hear a drawer ripped open, metal rubbing together and mamma asking, "Are you going to the bar again, do you think you can just drink the problem away, because you can't. It will still be here when you sober up."
The last thing I hear is a door slam, a pickup trucks ignition catch, and light footsteps approaching the door.
"Isabelle can you hear me?" Mamma asks in a scared and timid tone that I have never heard before.
"Yes I reply." It's as if I'm hearing my own voice for the first time.
"If I open the door will you be ok, I mean are you alright?"
All I can say is that I miss her deeply. It's all the reaffirming she needs as a key is inserted into a lock, tumblers fall into place, and the door opens.
Light floods the room, almost too much for my maladjusted eyes to stand but then I see her, golden locks of strawberry blonde hair, rosy cheeks like a cherub, and tears flowing from sky blue eyes. I run to my mamma and she catches me mid stride lifting me up abd cradling me close to her bosom. How much I have missed her, how much I have longed for her touch, her smell, her love. It is almost enough to overpower my hunger as I sink my two elongated incisors into my mammas neck and begin to feed.

message 3: by lorien, In Between (last edited Feb 19, 2017 08:59PM) (new)

lorien | 2558 comments Mod
The Charming Man

by Lorien Rhys

I had never meant to hurt those people. It was all just suppose to be a game. A stupid, foolish game. And yet, here I am, standing on the roof of a building as I watched multiple ambulances rush in to save the people who are seriously ill.

First it started out to be five being sick a day. No one was concerned, not even a little bit. Then the numbers rose, higher and higher they went.

Till soon enough, people were frantic, parents ordered that their kids be taken out of schools. All because I had decided to play a cruel joke on a friend.

Don't ask me why or how it was able to spread to other people's chocolates. Because the truth is, I have no idea, and I fear that my prank would turn out to be costly in the end.

{}{}{}{}}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Maple

"The mysterious illness seems to have spread towards the lower part of Idaho Falls," a woman's voice said from the television. "Police and doctors are baffled as to how the illness was able to spread and hope to find an answer as soon as possible. The-"

"Turn the blasted thing off," my father said softly, nearly scaring me half to death.

"Yes, father," I said, pushing the button and the screen turned blank. "They say it will come for the lower part of the city."

"Bah," he waved my statement off. "Don't listen to it dear. We'll be fine."

I frowned.

There he goes again. Trying to find the best in every situation.

It's been a week since the first victims of this odd occurance happened in our city. Everyone's trying to find a cure but it doesn't seem like they're any closer to finding it, than we are to pushing a mountain with our bare hands.

I stood up from the leather chair and searched the kitchen cabinets for something to nibble on.

Unfortunately, our storage of food has also declined, what with the doctors experimenting and feeding their patients.

I shooked my head and said to my father, "When's mother coming home?"

He sighed as he lit a smoke. "Not till late evening dear. You know how it is. She's helping all those sick patients."

"I know," I said, looking at him as he slid open the sliding door. I followed him with my bare feet onto the small deck. "Sometimes I wish she could come home early though."

I breathed in the cool air as he lets out a puff of smoke out into the view of cluttered apartments.

"I know, dear," he said in a soothing tone. "I miss her too."

"Do you think I could see her? Today?" I want to squash the feeling of hope blooming inside of me at the thought of seeing my mother at work. Even just seeing her would lift my spirits.

"Of course," he smiled, the smoke swirling delicately between his fingers as he raised it. "We can go as soon as I'm done here."

"Thank you, father," I said, a grin planted on my face that never wanted to leave as I got ready.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}}{}{}{}{}
Maple

We arrived at the hospital in less than fifteen minutes. A world record for my father's driving skills if you could say that.

It was utter chaos inside. Cots on wheels with people laying on them moved past us as we searched for my mother.

She usually took care of the people who had gone through surgery and took care of them until a doctor said that the patient was fine and free to leave.

That's not the case now.

Mother now has to take care of people tripled the amount she had previously worked for before this had ever happened. She doesn't complain and just does her job as she ought to, and I admire my mother for it.

We inch our way to the corridors where she may be working but sometimes it's difficult to know where you're going when it's really crowded.

So with swift movements, my father and I were able to spot my mother shortly with her short, raven black hair slightly bouncing with every step she took.

When she saw us standing by the doorway, while giving a patient a bowl of soup as she plopped the tray on his lap, she smiled and waved us over.

I smiled back as father rushed over to her side. He gave a nod towards the patient before hugging his wife.

"Hello, dear," she said to us both, hugging my father back.

"Hi, mom," I said, my smile still planted on my face.

"Well, what are you two doing here?" She asked, rubbing her hands against the white apron she always wore.

"Just wanting to check up on you," I answered with a shrug.

"I have a break in about. . ." Mother checked her watch. "Ten minutes. So you can wait in the cafeteria and grab a bite when I have my break."

"Sounds like a plan then," Father kissed her cheek and smiled brightly while ushering me out the room. "See you there."

"Have fun," she said, returning back to her patient.

{}{}{}{}}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Charm

I moved soundly in the hospital, surprised that no one stopped me as I searched for a particular room number.

It's my friend's room I'm searching for. The one I told you earlier about. The one I had decided to poison and started this whole mess.

I was grateful that a nurse had helped me, the nice one, Mrs. Wolfe. She always made my day, seem like there was nothing wrong in the world and that all I had to do was make the most of it. We'd occasionally talked and every time I met her, I wanted to tell her that I was the one who made all these people sick but what good would that do? I didn't have the solution to solving this problem so it really wouldn't do me any good being locked up in jail.

No. I had to keep this a secret. No matter what. I had to, at least for her.

I eventually came to a beige door labeled 207 so I walked in and was greeted with two hospital beds sitting to my right by the wall. One bed was unoccupied but the other. . . held my friend comfortably.

I smoothed down my hair with a comb and walked briskly to her side, tulips behind my back, these are her favorite.

"Evelyn," I said softly, pulling up a chair by her bed. "Hey Evelyn, it's me."

Her raven black hair which was usually straight up and down was now in curls and frizzles. As if she actually heard me, Evelyn rolled very slowly on her other side to face me.

Her eyes glistened, seeming to be fresh from tears probably from the pain she was going through. Then she smiled sadly at me and said softly, "Charm?"

Even though I'm a man, my parents had thought to name me Charm, a hideous girl's name but when she said it, it was beautiful.

"Hello," I said lamely, holding out a bouquet of flowers. "These are for you."

She smiled again and tried to sat up on those huge pillows you always saw at these sort of places. I helped her up, lying the flowers on her lap.

"They're wonderful," Evelyn said as soon as she was situated. "Thank you."

"You did say that tulips were your favorite after all," I said, taking a look at her face. It didn't look like they had fed her whatsoever. Her face was pale and the life that she usually had was dead.

What had I done? I had meant to give the chocolates as a joke, the mixture I sprinkled on the chocolate would've made her gassy and want to head to the bathroom every five minutes, one which we would laugh off together but not. . . this.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Oh," she started, covering her mouth for a moment as if she was going to cough. "Not too bad. They say that I will get better but it's too soon to tell."

I prayed that she would. Every night. Otherwise. . . life would seem absolutely empty without her.

"But, you know," Evelyn continued, shrugging then winced, "doctors aren't right about everything."

"That's true," I agreed. "Especially dentists."

"I didn't know they were doctors."

"Oh yes," A smile was slowly growing on my face because of how similar our previous conversations would be, like this. "Dentist are, actually. Which is why you shouldn't trust-"

I was interrupted with loud hacking and coughing.

It was Evelyn.

Machines beeped and I panicked. Blood was soon all over the flowers and sheets. While trying to cover her mouth as I rushed out of the room and yelled at the top of my lungs, "Help! A patient! She's coughing blood!"

Thank goodness a nurse had walked out of a patient's room and had obviously heard me as she was about to hang a sign on the door.

The nurse's eyes widened and soon a pair of doctors were running down the hall. The nurse also ran towards me and I hopped out of their way, hoping they would help Evelyn.

Soon, all three persons were crowded along her bed and did a bunch of typing on the computers and procedures I didn't know anything about.

Her coughing didn't get any better. In a matter of fact, it got worse and it pained me to know that this was my fault.

Then, the machines went silent. They all exchanged a look and the nurse, Mrs. Wolfe which I finally figured out why she looked familiar, reached out to touch, what I presumed to be Evelyn's face.

I finally spoke up and asked, "Will she be alright, doctors?"

One turned to face me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, she. . ."

"She what, doctor?" I clenched my fists by my sides which were shaking.

"She's gone," Mrs. Wolfe said, her voice wobbly.

Gone? As in. . . dead? But she's Evelyn. She can handle anything!

"No," I said to myself. "No, she isn't gone. She isn't."

Mrs. Wolfe pushed away the doctor that had placed a hand on my shoulder and hugged me. "I'm so sorry, Charm."

Mrs. Wolfe had known Evelyn all her life and had gotten to know her too, and yet, here she was comforting me.

I hugged the woman back and sobbed, consumed with grief and despair.

{{}}{}{}{}}{}{}{}{{{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
Maple

Mother came over to our table and clearly looked pale and distorted.

Father and I were eating when she came by and we both tossed worried looks towards her.

"What's the matter, dear?" Father was the first to ask.

Mother swallowed a lump in her throat and was almost trying to will herself not to cry. But it was impossible. Tears flowed as she rested her head on father's shoulder.

He wrapped an arm around her and asked, "Who was it?"

Mother stopped for a second. "Evelyn Rose."

I gasped. Evelyn Rose. As in my older sister's best friend? If Amber ever came back home from college, she wasn't going to take the news well.

"What are we going to do?" I asked.

"We'll tell Amber," Mother said softly, "but not yet. Someone else has to be comforted right now. She flicked a hand over, gesturing for someone to come over.

A man in his early twenties walked over to our table. He sat next to me and brought out a comb to go through his blond hair. His eyes were red, clearly from crying.

I knew him. He was Charm, Evelyn's happy boyfriend.

How was he taking this? The death of someone he clearly cared about must be very difficult for him. I couldn't bear to lose any of my siblings no matter how they had treated me. I cared for them too much.

"Charm's here to tell us something," Mother said, smiling at the boy with pity in her eyes. "Go on, you can tell us."

Charm opened his mouth almost hesitating to open and told us, everything.

message 4: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
So...I kind of combined prompts. :-) It fit the story.

Puppy Love
2733 words

Kennedy gently slid the latest batch of caramel-covered truffles onto the wax sheet in the display window. She smiled as the nearest customers sighed, inhaling the intoxicating aroma of the fresh chocolates. With a practiced eye and a delicate hand, she arranged the treats among the other delicacies under the glass.

“My dear,” a rather large, round-faced woman bent over to peer into the case, “Could you wrap a box of these beautiful turtles for me?”

“Of course, Mrs. Houston,” Kennedy quickly selected a slender company box, filling it with the chocolates Mrs. Houston rattled off. She expertly wrapped the brown box in an elegant golden paper and slid the elastic bow into place over the edges before passing the box to her younger sister at the cash register. “Have a wonderful day, Mrs. Houston!”

Turning to her sister, she leaned in close, “Kels, I’m going to slip into the back for a quick break. Call me if you need me.” Kennedy sent one last glance over her shoulder. Men and women chatted lightly around her, roaming from one display case to another. Teenaged boys came counting pennies in the hopes of being able to afford a small box for their girlfriends. Young children dragged their parents by the hands into the shoppe, begging for just one treat. This was the busiest time of year, save Christmas.

Sighing, Kennedy pushed through the doors labeled “Employees Only” and placed her apron on a hook. She pushed back a strand of her short, dark brown hair and pinched the bridge of her freckled nose. As much as she loved working in the shoppe, sometimes the holiday rush drove them all crazy. It had been her great-grandfather's shoppe many years ago, and everyone in her family had worked there at least for a time. Grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, and even family friends all pitched in to keep the old place running. Dad always joked that he’d married into the business, but the truth was that he worked harder than anyone else. He loved the shoppe.

Kennedy, Kelsi, and their older brother, Cameron all worked full-time. Cameron was in college, now, so he’d only be full-time for a few more years. It helped pay the bills, but it wasn’t his dream job. Kelsi used her paycheck mostly to spend at the movies with her friends and at the mall. She was a freshman in high school this year, so social life was definitely a priority. Kennedy, however, would be graduating this year. She knew she wanted to go to art school to develop her drawing skills and broaden her understanding of design, but she also loved making chocolates.

Her grandfather had taught her the family secret when she was just a little girl, as his father had him. She used to dream of making a new chocolate and spent many hours trying to come up with a pretty name for the ideal concoction. You wouldn’t think you could go wrong with chocolate, but Kennedy had certainly proved that. She wasn’t a bad confectioner; in fact, she was actually pretty good at making the chocolates. She just hadn’t come up with anything new yet. Unfortunately, she did have many failed attempts that her friends liked to tease her about. They didn’t mean any harm, but as she’d gotten older, she’d almost given up on the dream, convincing herself it was foolish. Why try to fix what’s already perfect?

Thunk! Clang!

Kennedy snapped out of her reverie. Dull thuds and metallic crashes were not what one wanted to hear in the shoppe.

Gloup, Plop!

Something was definitely wrong. Just as Kennedy stood to investigate, a stranger wearing a brown and green shoppe apron burst from the swinging door that led to the front of the shoppe. He nearly knocked Kennedy down as he darted between the vats of melted chocolate and toward the very back of the shoppe.

“Hey!” Kennedy braced her hands against the wall behind her to keep from falling back to the bench. Kelsi pushed through the door right behind him, finishing the job. Kennedy glared at her younger sister as she fell back, unceremoniously, to the wooden seat.

Kelsi looked distressed and angry. She turned to Kennedy, “Did you see which way he went?” Impatient for an answer, she threw her hands up, “Kennedy, where did he go?!” Kennedy pointed after the stranger and Kelsi chased in his direction.

“Well…” Kennedy stood, brushing herself off as she gazed after the pair. She glanced at the door. She ought to head back out to keep everything running. They were the only two working at the moment, but curiosity burned in her. Just a minute wouldn’t hurt...she thought as she jogged after her sister and the stranger.

“Kels?” Kennedy followed in the direction she’d seen the others run, but she didn’t see anyone. “Kelsi, where are you?” It didn’t take long for her to the alley door. Sighing, she pushed the door, peering into the alley.

Her sister stood, hands on hips, staring toward the street. Frustrated, she kicked the dumpster, then whined when her foot hurt. Kennedy just rolled her eyes and crossed her arms, leaning against the door frame. “Serves you right,” she muttered.

Kelsi just glared. “I’m not the one who let a thief get away. Why didn’t you stop him?”

“Me? How was I supposed to know he was a thief. I’d never seen him before in my life.”

Kelsi shook her head, following Kennedy back into the shoppe, “His name tag said Jason, but I didn’t know him either. He must have slipped behind the counter when I wasn’t looking. I just saw the apron colors from the corner of my eye and assumed it was you. He grabbed a box, filled it with chocolates, and ran. By the time I turned to ask you a question, I realized it wasn’t really you. And, well...you saw the rest.” She waved a hand helplessly.

“Where’d he get the apron and name tag?” Kennedy mused as she donned her own apron. The girls paused at the door to the front of the shoppe.

Kelsi shrugged, “I don’t know.” She glanced up from shy lashes, “Do you think Dad will be really mad?”

Kennedy pushed through the door, shaking her head, “No, it was just one box. And there’s nothing we can do about it now.” The girls finished the day without another hint of trouble, closed the shoppe, and returned home without another thought of the strange noises in the back of the shoppe.

Five days later…

“Kelsi?” Mother walked into the dining room, pulling her reading glasses off her nose as she looked up at her youngest daughter.

Kelsi looked up from the magazine she was studying, “Yeah?”

“Have Jake or Luke worked at the shoppe any this week?” she asked, referring to Kelsi’s best friends.

She shook her head, “No, they haven’t worked since you banned them. Why?”

Mother shook her head, sitting at the table next to her daughter. Jake and Luke were good workers, but they were on probation for the month because of a stunt they’d tried to pull a few weeks back.

Apparently, they’d thought it would have been funny to switch out the sugar for salt. Classic, right? They’d nearly cost the shoppe a week’s worth of chocolates. Thankfully, Kennedy and Dad caught them in the act; they managed to save most of the batch of coconut balls and some of the strawberry tart truffles. Well, aside from the unoriginality of the scheme, the boys had only succeeded in angering the family, effectively banishing themselves until after Valentine's Day, and wasting a lot of money on salt.

Mother sighed, “I just wondered…”

“Wondered what?” Dad asked as he sauntered in from the kitchen. He held a bowl of pasta in one hand and a newspaper in the other. He usually ate lunch with the family, but today everyone’s schedule had been different.

Mother nodded to the paper, “Have you read it yet?”

Frowning, Alex shook his head. Kelsi jumped up to look over her father’s shoulder as he set his bowl down on the table and unfolded the paper. “What’s this?” he muttered, turning to the page Mother indicated. She slid her head into her hands as he read aloud. “Stanford Shoppe Selling Sicking Sweets.”

“What are they talking about?” Kelsi slipped under the crook of Dad’s elbow, forcing her way in between him and the paper.

Mother’s voice was muffled as she responded, “We may not recuperate from this for months.”

“Dad,” Kelsi looked up at the man she leaned against, “Why are they saying we’ve poisoned them?”

Two days later…

“How do they even know it was our chocolate?” Cameron’s voice filtered through the phone.

Kennedy rolled her eyes, “Cameron, everyone buys our chocolate.”

“Yeah,” he answered, “but it isn’t the only chocolate around.”

“No,” she sat up on her bed, “but it’s the best around, which means a large percentage of the population ingested it.” She could almost hear him shaking his head as he let out a frustrated breath. She ventured on, “You’re still coming down, though, right?”

“Of course I am. Even if we have to close the shoppe for a few days, I still have a three day weekend coming up.”

Kennedy fidgeted with the corner of her blanket. Silence fell between the two. It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, though. They were too close for that. They weren’t far apart in age, and though they’d never had a horrible relationship as kids, they’d really grown closer after he’d left for college. Kennedy had especially felt the loss when he’d moved several hours away. He came back to visit often and still pulled shifts at the shoppe, but she couldn’t help but miss him.

She sighed as she fell back onto her pillows again, staring at the stick on, glow-in-the-dark stars that had been stuck to her ceiling since she was a kid. “Mom says she thinks we may be out of business till Christmas.”

“Surely it won’t be that long?” Cameron sounded doubtful, but hesitant to jump to such a positive conclusion.

Kennedy chewed her lip, thinking, “Well, we don’t really get much business between now and Halloween anyway, just the few regulars. And, we always shut down for the summer anyway. She thinks people will remember the next time they crave chocolate that we made them sick and think better of buying.”

“That’s ridiculous,” Cameron tried to sound angry, but the words came out deflated. He knew as well as the others that a reputation was all they really had. Once tainted, it wouldn’t have to be true to affect their sales. They’d had their ups and downs in the past, but never something this disastrous. They’d managed to infect even their out of state customers with some kind of stomach bug. The good news was that it didn’t last long; the bad news was that it was pretty clearly isolated to the shoppe customers.

“By Christmas she thinks people will have forgiven us.”

Cameron sighed, “Well, and we’ve had years of good reviews and we’re just now starting to spread to a larger platform. One bad hiccup won’t pull us under, and people will come back for the chocolate we’re famous for...eventually.”

Kelsi blew a bubble, leaning against the counter bored. It was almost two weeks after Valentine’s Day and the rush of late gifts and discounted boxes had died down a day or two ago. Mom said they didn’t have to keep the shoppe open for extended hours anymore, but it was still a drag to be here when there were virtually no customers. Besides, with the uproar about the bad sweets, even their most faithful customers had decided to stay away for a while.

message 5: by Coralie, Wordy Writer (new)

Coralie (corkybookworm) | 1249 comments Mod
Kennedy sat on a stool, working on a sketch for a college application. She muttered as she flipped her pencil over to erase a line she didn’t like. The metallic clink of change mixed with Kelsi’s low murmuring. Surprisingly, the sound soothed Kennedy’s nerves. She wanted to do a good job for the application, since the school was actually considering her and had asked for an additional number of sketches for her portfolio. Kelsi liked math, so she counted when she was bored. Presently, she was counting out the change in the cash register, quarters, dimes, nickels, and then pennies...over and over again. It was something she’d done for years during the slow days at the shoppe. Kennedy guessed the familiarity of the sounds were what calmed her.

“Kennedy!” Cameron yelled from the back.

Kennedy jumped, groaning at the heavy, lead line she’d drawn right through the garden scene. That would be hard to erase completely.

“Ough,” Kelsi winced, “he sounds mad.” She squeezed her sister’s shoulder before turning back to count the pennies for the twentieth time.

Kennedy hurried through the swinging door, hoping she wasn’t in too much trouble. “Here,” she called, turning the corner to find her brother red-faced and half-covered in chocolate. The look on his face was the only thing that kept her laughter from bubbling out.

“What is the meaning of this?” he lifted his hand from behind a large vat of white chocolate. A small, golden puppy dangled by the scruff of its neck, his snout covered in spots of white.

“Ohhh!” Kennedy cooed, approaching the beautiful pup, “He’s adorable!”

Cameron scowled, “He’s just ruined an entire vat of chocolate! That’s not adorable!”

But Kennedy only had eyes for the tiny pup. Cameron put up no resistance as she approached to rescue the puppy from her brother’s grip. Gasping, her eyes widened as she looked up at Cameron, “He’s so soft!” She stroked his long hair, murmuring in his floppy ears. She peered up at Cameron with laughter in her eyes. “Did big, bad Cam scare you? Don’t let him fool you. He’s just a big teddy bear. Aren’t you? Aren’t you?” She grinned as she rubbed noses with him and chuckled when he began to lick her face.

Cameron frowned, but didn’t say anything more. He just shook his head and looked grumpily at the ruined chocolate. He ran a hand through his sandy hair making it stand up on end. Before he could start to figure out how to solve his problem, a loud yelping drew their attention. Two more pups ran into the room and between Cameron’s legs, nearly knocking him off balance.

“What the--?” Cameron looked bewildered as the pups jumped against Kennedy’s shins, squeaking instead of barking. One ran in circles, licking the peanut butter from its nose while the other rolled onto its back, whimpering for Cameron to rub its tummy. Cameron blinked down at the small creature before staring up at Kennedy, “They must have bathed in the chocolates and syrups. Look at this one! It’s got caramel and pecans stuck to his paws!”

Just as Kelsi rounded the corner to see what all the fuss was about, a large golden retriever plowed into Cameron, sending him to the floor. Her tail was covered in dark chocolate and her fur was knotted with dried milk and sugar.

“Uh...guys…?” Kelsi wasn’t quite sure how to respond to the four dogs that now paraded through the room. She looked first to Kennedy then to Cameron for an explanation, but both were too busy staring at the golden fluffballs themselves.

Cameron gaped dumbfounded at the small dog family they’d encountered. The siblings trailed the fur and wet chocolate shaped like paw prints to a small hole in their storage closet nearly the alley door. The mother must have given birth to the pups there a few weeks ago. From the looks of it, they’d been here for a while. It was a wonder they went undiscovered this long.

Looking down at the scene, Kennedy suddenly doubled over, a boisterous laugh filled the small closet. Kelsi and Cameron sent her strange looks, watching as she covered her mouth. Eyes twinkling and her voice filled with delight, she finally spoke, “Guys, they must have gotten into the ingredients for the chocolates that made everyone sick! This is why people have been complaining! Look at them!” Indeed, it had been the pups who first drew Kennedy’s attention on the day that the mysterious thief had made away with a box of “poisoned” chocolates.

The End

message 6: by VGA (last edited Feb 28, 2017 08:48AM) (new)

VGA (themonarchofmusic) | 114 comments WOOP
FINISHED LAST MINUTE
AND I CHANGED HALF MY STORY LIFE AT THE END BECAUSE IT DIDN'T FEEL NATURAL
JUST KNOW THAT EVERYTHING PAST "Too many." HAS BEEN EDITED MAJORITY LAST MINUTE
And it's really sucky ;-;

"X" Marks the Man

"Worked, didn't it? Eh, Snake?" A man who looked to be in his early twenties grinned smugly at a man dressed completely in black.
"Hey, Snake! What's wrong? You should be celebrating! We'll finally draw out that stupid detective girl with this, right? She'll be sure to draw it back to us, right? What, with what we asked our scientists to make them hallucinate-"
A sharp glare from Snake quieted the other man. Snake pulled out a cigarette and lit it, starting at the dark horizon. The night sky was illuminated with the bright lights of the city buildings, making a perfect suspicious scene that every crime movie seems to have.
"Little miss Detective..." Snake's gruff voice sent chills down his companion's spine. "I'll expose your true identity... and finally kill you myself..."
"Rice."
"Y-yes Snake?!"
"Let's watch and wait... our little detective girl will find out this is us soon... let's leave her a little message from us, shall we..?"
Rice knew exactly what Snake was implying. "Murder?"
Snake's demonic smile was all the answer Rice needed.
~~~~~~~~~~
"Chriiiiiiistie!!!!!"
Christie sighed. She knew that cry from anywhere. It was Mia Greenfield. She plastered a smile onto her face, before turning around. "Hi, Mia! How are you today?" Mia completely ignored Christie, immediately asking, "Have you heard about the poisonings? It's crazy! It just started last night, and everyone who ate that special chocolate that was the craze this year just started passing out! It's insane! But Christie, you're a detective! So you can solve this, right?"
"Wait, poisonings? And everyone who ate the chocolate became sick?"
Miss nodded her head furiously. "Yeah! Apparently, it's not deadly, but still gets you pretty sick! The doctors say that the strangest side effects are hallucinations, though. What's funny though, is that people keep saying that they see the same thing.”
"You wanna know what they see?"
"They all see-"
"A little girl who's too curious for her own good, and should just stay safe and stop trying to imitate Sherlock Holmes," A male voice interrupted. Oh no. Oh no oh no oh no oh no, Christie thought, slowly turning around. "What's up, SHORTIE?" the male said as he noogied Christie, leaving her annoyed and grumpy. "Tristian..."
"Aww, don't be so cruel! Call me your 'big brother' like you did when you were little!" Christie's face turned tomato red at this. "Tristan," She said, shaking. “If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times. I am a SEVENTH grader. I called you big brother when I was FIVE. And STOP calling me shortie.” Christie let out a deep sigh. "Anyways, you're a junior in high school now. You should really start acting your age."
"Awww, how cruel! You're telling me that, but you could use some of my personality! You're all apathetic and stuff, if you weren't so short, people would think that you're an adult! You need to enjoy life~"
"And apathy is a bad thing?" Christie muttered. "Just lets me stay unattached to those involved in mysteries."

“Hmmm? What was that? Shortie, I think I just heard you mention mysteries. But that could be, RIGHT?”

Christie ignored him. “Anyways, Mia? You were telling me what they see in those chocolates.”

“Oh yeah! So apparently, everyone sees the same thing.” Mia paused, and Christie waited in suspense.

“A red circle, with a black X mark in it!”

Christie blanched. “What was that?” Christie asked carefully. “Did you say… a red circle? W-with a black X in it?”

"Yeah! That's what my dad said, at least. He didn't know that I was listening, but he was talking on the phone with some other detectives. Also, the company that sold the chocolates disappeared without a trace afterwards. It's really creepy, to be honest."
But Christie wasn’t listening. No. No way. Were they making a move again? You see, a few months back, Christie, being the Holmes nut she is, was attempting to solve a mystery where even the police didn't have a clue as to the culprit. However, Christie knew. After all, it was a Holmes case. None of the police detectives must have read this particular case, which was understandable. But this was one of her favorites, and it was exactly the same, down to the small details. So she exposed the criminal, who was a Holmes nut just like her. In the end, the culprit ran out and committed suicide, running up to the balcony of the building and throwing himself off. But slowly, more cases appeared. They weren't only Holmes, but other mystery authors. And Christie helped solve them all. The detectives were sceptics at first. A middle school aged girl helping them solve mysteries? What if they got hurt! And don't even mention their ego. But slowly, Christie proved herself to be the most capable for the job, and the detectives she worked with pieced together the mystery. With a compromise. To help keep her safe, they would do everything they could to alter her appearance so if a suspect did escape, they would not be able to recognize her. In fact, only a select few in the police force know who Christie rally is. The rest only see her when she is already disguised.
They were able to apprehend a person who worked for the organization behind all the murders, and they were able to get some information about this organization. The police, through their thorough questioning, we're able to find out two pieces of information. The organization generally relied on mysterious for their murders, but would go off of that in case of emergencies, or if a situation didn't apply. The second piece? The symbol of the organization. A black "X" in a red circle.
But the suspect was able to contact their organization, with five words. "Police, middle school girl brains." When the organization got this, they were confused. Did he mean that a middle schooler was the one who who was causing them so much trouble? And a girl none the less? No, it couldn't be. But they found more and more of their agents telling than the same thing, and they were forced to accept it. A mere child was the one solving all the mysteries, even the ones that didn't follow a murder already in a book.
And until now, the organization has been trying to kill Christie. Granted, they haven't figured out who she really is, and it isn't apparent to the police, but Christie could tell. All of those "accidents" when she was disguised? They weren't really that. They couldn't be that-
A high pitched screech, barely loud enough to hear, reached her ears. A screech that was familiar to Christie.
The one that echoed whenever a murder had occurred.
Christie traced over to where she believed to be the origin of the sound, an alleyway, when she saw a horrible sight. 
Somebody was probably dead.
She quickly approached the body, which had a female kneeling next to him. She kept begging him to wake up.
She pushed the woman aside and felt the man’s pulse.                                                
But he didn’t have one.
He was gone.
Dead.
She walked away from the body, examining the scene. The body had marks underneath his chin, and blood coming out of his mouth. She picked up his arm. Still a little stiff. He had to have been dead for about six to eight hours. If it had been longer, his body would have been less prone to resistance. The body takes a while to become fully limp, providing a quick and easy to determine how long it had been since death. It was more accurate to have a forensics team examine the body, but when in a pinch, this was the best method. A faint whiff of almond came from his mouth.

Cyanide poisoning.

But he was bleeding in the jaw. Was he punched before he was drugged? Why would someone need to do that?
Definitely not an accident, nor did he die by natural causes. Suicide was most likely out. There were no signs that he had did this himself. Unless he had someone punch him in the jaw, then he took cyanide tablets. Highly unlikely, but she shouldn't cross that one out quite yet. The only two left were that it was a suicide, or a homicide. But based on the scene in front of her, it was most likely a homicide.  By then, Mia and Tristan had caught up, but fell silent when they saw her face. This was her "detective" face. The only thing they could do was watch -her. "Tristan, call the police."
"Already on it. Dead?" Christie nodded in affirmation. Christie pointed towards the woman. "You. Stand over there with them, please. We can't have you damage the scene." The woman, still shocked, walked over to Tristan and Mia without a second thought about a child offering them around.
She kept examining the body. Christie kept examining, before freezing, eyes full of shock. Below, at the man's hand.
A red circle, made out of the man's blood. And an "X" in the middle. Somehow made like that, without any blood spilling into the "X".
The sign of the organization. "Mia, I need your phone." Mia didn't answer. Christie turned around, exasperated. "Mia..." her voice died down when she saw the expression on her face. Christie realized. She wasn't used to murder scenes like Christie was. She sighed, before walking over to her. "Hey," she said, wrapping her arms around her. "It's going to be okay. Don't panic."
"Is he really dead?"
Christie paused. "Yes."
A tear rolled down her cheek. "H-he... last night... my dad and him... they were at our house. He... He was just fine then... And he was really nice! Why did he have to die...?”
Christie let go of Mia. "Hey. It'll be all right. Okay?" She nodded towards Tristan, who nodded back and went towards Mia. Christie walked back over to the body. Was he a police officer? 
Was he related to the organization case?
Why did they kill him?
Was the sign just an accident?
There were too many questions.
Too many.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Tim…”

The police had arrived. Mia and Tristan were standing by the police car, while the woman was being questioned as to how she discovered the body.

The one dead was Timothy Harison. And as Christie thought, he was a police officer. After hearing the name, she remembered him instantly. He was an officer who occasionally appeared on the Organization cases. Most officers who worked on that case didn’t appear on every case, but instead rotated with other officers. That way, their identity wasn’t compromised, and they weren’t targeted.

“Is his phone on him?” Officer Greenfield asked.

“It probably was taken by the perpetrator. Granted, I didn’t search too hard for it, but I couldn’t find it on him.

Mia’s dad nodded. “You two!” He pointed at two officers standing nearby. “Yes, Officer Greenfield?”

“Check the scene nearby with the other officers. And be sure to keep an eye out for a red cell phone!”

“Y-yes sir!” The two police officers ran off. Mia’s father waited until they were out of sight before sighing in relief. He stood up. “Christie, stay here for a second. I’m going to get my superior over here.”

Christie waited, until finally Officer Greenfield came back with somebody else following him. The man seemingly had Asian origins. He also had a masculine build, a crew cut, and a scar along his right eye. His hair was already grey on the sides, and the top of his head was going grey too.

“So this is Officer Harison?” The man asked. He had a surprisingly high voice. Granted, it was still deeper than most, but Christie was expecting even deeper.

“Yes, Officer Jiri. This is him.”

“And he was involved in the Organization case?” Mia’s dad nodded his head in affirmation.

Wait, this old man was involved in the Organization? How? She had never seen him before… “Well then, have you checked his belt?” Christie was confused. Check his belt? What did he mean by that? “Um, what exactly do you mean by that?”

message 7: by VGA (new)

VGA (themonarchofmusic) | 114 comments She was ignored.

“I was just about to check that. I figured I should have a superior here with me.”

Officer Jiri nodded before bending down and grabbing the man’s belt. He unstrapped it, and then pulling it out.

There was a small cell phone in a compartment in the belt. The belt was thicker than it appeared, so it was an easy place to store something.

“Whaaaaa…”

Officer Greenfield looked at Christie. “Oh. You must not know. We have all the officers on high risk assignments like this to keep a phone in a place where no one would suspect. I remember him specifically because he had a brother who specializes in clothes for his job, and he made this belt especially for him.”

Officer Jiri was tapping at the phone, before sucking in a breath sharply. “There’s a message from 9 hours ago.”

“What?!” Christie and Officer Greenfield spoke at the same time.

“Look.”

Midnight tomorrow

Abandoned factory

Exchange between two

Black X

“No way…” Christie muttered.

Officer Jiri closed his eyes. “Greenfield! Plan for an ambush tonight!”

“Yes sir!”
~~~~~~~~~~
((In the past))

“Do you understand?” Snake stood up.

“Rice?”

Officer Harison stood up. “Of course, Snake.”

“You’ll plant a piece of fake evidence to lead the police away, and then you’ll come back to us.”

“We don’t need you with the police anymore.”
~~~~~~~~~
"I've finished, Snake. I'll plant this fake message somewhere where the police will see it. He slid the phone back into its original place." He turned to look up...
Before immediately hitting the ground.
"You've served your purpose. Goodbye, Rice." Blood started streaming down Officer Harison's chin. Snake slipped a pill out if his pocket, and deposited it into Rice's mouth.
"You weren't as idiotic as some other people I've worked with."
He threw a cigarette out of his mouth. He grabbed a new one and started to light it, before changing his mind and throwing it on the ground.
It landed exactly on the other one, but facing the opposite direction.
The blood slowly dripped down his chin, landing on the ground. The cigarettes prevented it from going in the spot it was, however.
Together, it made a sign for the Organization. An "X", stained with the blood of the dead man.
Fitting for a traitor, no?
Late in the night, a breeze flew by. It blew the cigarettes away, leaving only the sign.
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yeah mom, Mia invited me over to stay the night. Yes, I'll be courteous. No, I'll be fine mom. I'll just come home tomorrow afternoon. Yeah, there's nothing going on Saturday morning, so it'll be fine. Yeah. Yeah. Alright, bye." Christie turned off her phone with a heavy sigh. "Parents..." she grumbled.
"Are we ready?" She looked up at Mia's dad.
"Yes. I agree with your deduction, this is the most likely factory."
"And you're sure we have enough people?"
"If it's only two people, they shouldn't be too hard."
"Well then, are we ready?"
"Yes. I believe so."
Christie grinned. It would be midnight in
Five...
Four...
Three...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Snipers lined the inside of the abandoned factory. Not only that, but they had gunmen at the entrance, waiting for the only people who had opposed them to arrive.
Snake grinned.
Two...
One...
Zero.
~~~~~~~~
Police officers opened up the doors quickly.
Something was wrong.

T H E E N D
Just kidding! I'm not like Lorien. I'll give you an actual ending c; ((Totally don't mean it!!! :P Sorry Lorien!!!))
Christie yawned. Starting up all night had NOT been the best idea.
What had happened last night? Well, even Christie sometimes got it wrong. When they opened up the doors to the factory, there was no one there. They searched the entire place, but there was nothing.
Doctors were finally in the right track to finding a cure to the sickness so many had been inflicted with.
Christie's phone buzzed. Text. She opened it up. It was from Mia.
Hey Christie! I'm not sure if you're interested or not, but my dad just left early today to go to a murder scene. Do you want to try to help them out?
Christie smiled, before replying.
Nah, I'll pass this time. Do you want to go get some ice cream? We can invite Tristan too!
No matter what, behind all the murders and the mysteries, Christie was still a little girl at heart. And you know what? She wanted to stay like this for a little while.
We can also probably find some good deals on some Valentine's chocolate! You know, since pretty much everyone just ate the poisoned ones, haha!
Christie smiled at Mia's reply.
Yes. This was much better.

Pls don't judge too hard ;-; it's late, I'm tired, and my writing is probably really sucky. And YES, that ending was actually planned. I actually dislike scenes like that, and I wanted to poke a little fun at those scenes :3 do you all hate me?
Also, thank me. I almost pulled a Lorien, but decided last minute that you didn't deserve that. So thank me ;P
ALRIGHT
I'm going to bed
GOOD NIGHT

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.