Tales & Teacups Book Club discussion

Book Pick of the Month > February 2017 Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (talesandteacups) | 76 comments Mod
I thought long and hard about what book I wanted to use for the first ever book club book of the month. After some thinking, I finally decided on "A Fall of Marigolds" by Susan Meissan.

A Fall of Marigolds

This is a book that I have had on my bookshelf for a while now and I decided, Why not?

Youtube Video announcement:

This book takes place in 1911 and 2011 New York. It follows the story of two women - Clara, a nurse from 1911 and Taryn from 2011.

I don't want to give too much away but this book follows the story of "a beautiful scarf, passed down through the generations, connects two women who learn that the weight of the world is made bearable by the love we give away..."

I like how this book has a dual story line between the past and present. New York has so much stuff going on during this time period, especially with the large influx of immigrants and I think it will be really interesting to read about. I have a feeling that this book will be heartbreaking so I am emotionally preparing myself.

The discussion will be held for this book all month long and the video discussion will be posted around March 1st. It may be a little bit late because I am getting knee surgery at the end of the month so we will see how it goes.

If you would like to participate in the video discussion please email me or send video responses to talesandteacupsbooks@gmail.com no later than Feb. 26th.

I'm excited to pick this book up this month!

Let me know what you think about it.

message 2: by Lexie (last edited Mar 12, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Lexie (talesandteacups) | 76 comments Mod
I've just finished reading this and it was so good! I gave it a 4.5/5 stars because I felt it was done beautifully, however I did feel a bit of a disconnect with Taryn and felt like we should have gotten more time with her. I loved how it showed two women going through life in their "in-between place" and how they must overcome love and loss to live their life fully. This is a beautiful story that is based around two women going through terrible tragedies and how a simple scarf can save your life.

What did you guys think?

Favourite quotes:
-"Life goes on, and it is far too short to spend it on wishing you'd made a different choice or taken a different path. Rejoice in today and be happy." 
 "Life is real, in all its complexity. And though it can be painfully difficult, it can also be unspeakably wonderful" pg. 271
- "Do not choose to abandon love because you are afraid that it will crush you. Love is the only true constant in a fragile world. Don't despair. Be happy. Choose hope" pg. 363 
“The person who completes your life is not so much the person who shares all the years of your existence, but rather the person who made your life worth living, no matter how long or short a time you were given to spend with them.”