New Adulting Central discussion

Bully (Fall Away, #1)
This topic is about Bully
BULLY BY PENELOPE DOUGLAS > General thoughts on the book. (No spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ilse (eelsaysbooks) | 28 comments Mod
Please let us know here your general thoughts on the book and please no spoilers!

Quinn's Quippy Quotes | 3 comments I read Bully last year, and devoured the entire series in less than a week. This series just gets better and better, but I love Tate in particular. I love her strong will and the way she stands up to Jared is HOT!

Whitney (whitneywest) | 5 comments I gave Bully a 4.5! I wasn't expecting to like it and was only reading it so I could read the rest of the books in the series and I was delightfully surprised to find that I loved this book! I devoured it! Happy reading ladies!

Cindy Wilkerson (cindywilkerson) I read Bully a month or so ago. The writing was great but there were certain parts of the story that I had issues with (mainly about the reason why she was being bullied. Wasn't a good enough "excuse" for me). I read the 2nd book, thought it was just ok, so I decided to stop the series for awhile. Very curious to see what everyone thinks!

Angele  (angeleponco) | 1 comments I read Bully probably around a year ago, and I really enjoyed it! It was one train wreck of emotions, because I kept crying at certain parts of it because I became so attached to Tate and every time she gets hurt, I feel like I've been punched. But it's definitely one of my favorite NA books!

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) I finished Bully yesterday ; -) I have to be honest I had an issue with the absent parents, however, the romance was so good!!! I even had tears during a certain part, I had to grab my tissues. lol 4 star book for me.

Lisa Putnam Just finished Bully minutes ago. I gave it a 4/5 rating. I have so many conflicting emotions about this story. First of all I am 37 so I kept having flash backs about my high school years and wondering if this story was realistic. It made me reminisce about all the angst and excitement of first love and all the steaminess that went with that. I wasn't so sure if I was ok with her falling for someone so emotionally abusive to begin with, but then again I'm with a man who can be a prick and I'm still wild about him. Go figure.

Lisa-Books Smiles (lisabookssmiles) Lisa wrote: "Just finished Bully minutes ago. I gave it a 4/5 rating. I have so many conflicting emotions about this story. First of all I am 37 so I kept having flash backs about my high school years and wonde..." . Hi Lisa, I'm Lisa too. I'm 40 yrs old and I totally agree with you on the conflicting emotions. HAHAHA I laughed out loud about your hubby being a prick but you still love him. Men had no idea how lucky they are to have great women. ; -)

Lisa Putnam Lisa=Books&Smiles wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Just finished Bully minutes ago. I gave it a 4/5 rating. I have so many conflicting emotions about this story. First of all I am 37 so I kept having flash backs about my high school ye..."

Nice to meet you Lisa! He is damn lucky! Hahahaha! Maybe that's why I'm drawn to these love/hate stories, because I live it! ; - )

Lauren (booklover723) | 2 comments I just finished reading Bully right now let me tell you I am glad it was the book of the month because otherwise I would have never heard of this book I am glad I read it.

message 11: by Kassidi. (new)

Kassidi. Under The Radar Books. (undertheradarbooks) Just a quick question.... is this dialogue normal for NA? I am dipping my toe into the waters of this genre so I'm just trying to understand.

Tamara | 2 comments Cindy wrote: "I read Bully a month or so ago. The writing was great but there were certain parts of the story that I had issues with (mainly about the reason why she was being bullied. Wasn't a good enough "excu..."

I'm with you. I just didn't think the reason for the bullying was good enough. I think I'm in the minority because I didn't enjoy the book that much. Jared was a little too much for me.

Tañia (taniacan2) | 3 comments Honestly, I was not excited about reading this one. Ive been avoiding high school aged NA because the only two I read were horrible. Plus, I have a teenage step daughter, I rather not read about teenagers like this.
But I will say after about 30% into the book I couldnt put it down. Love hate relationships get me every time! Sure it has its problems. Jared is a bit intense for an 18 year-old. But I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

message 14: by Ilse (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished the book and I agree with Jared being a little too intense for an 18 year old... haha but honestly I had fun reading it!

message 15: by Ilse (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kassidi wrote: "Just a quick question.... is this dialogue normal for NA? I am dipping my toe into the waters of this genre so I'm just trying to understand."

What do you mean with the dialogue?

message 16: by Annie (Book Widow, Doomwitch) (last edited Feb 19, 2017 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Annie (Book Widow, Doomwitch) (melstarxx) | 4 comments I'm definitely in the minority for this book. I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't even finish it, and I always finish books. But I was dragging myself through this one. Not enough happened for me to be completely engaged, and for me to like a book (an NA book especially), I have to like the main character, which I didn't. I'm sure that if I finished it, I would have liked it more, maybe as much as everyone else, but I would have been forcing myself to do so. I was really looking forward to this book, and wanted to read it even before this re-along, so maybe I hyped it up for myself, but it just left me with a headache!

message 17: by Ilse (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annie wrote: "I'm definitely in the minority for this book. I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't even finish it, and I always finish books. But I was dragging myself through this one. Not enough happened for me to be c..."

I was discussing this with Carol and we both agree that if perhaps we wouldve read this back when we were in our High School years we wouldve enjoyed this book a little bit more or at least relate to it cause in the end we are talking about high schoolers and 18 year olds. So its perfectly okay to have a different opinion on it haha.

Shannon Quinn | 2 comments Annie wrote: "I'm definitely in the minority for this book. I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't even finish it, and I always finish books. But I was dragging myself through this one. Not enough happened for me to be c..."

I am also in the minority for this one. It was just okay for me. There is NO valid reason to treat someone like that. I like Tate's fire and I had no issue with the writing, I was just never able to like Jared. Since I didn't really like Jared, the romance part just didn't make me happy like a romance should. I see why many people love this book, it just wasn't a great one for me because of Jared.

Annie (Book Widow, Doomwitch) (melstarxx) | 4 comments Ilse wrote: "Annie wrote: "I'm definitely in the minority for this book. I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't even finish it, and I always finish books. But I was dragging myself through this one. Not enough happened ..."

The thing is, I'm in high school, in my last year. That's what made it worse. I would have thought that would make me like it more, but I think that the fact that it was filled with so many silly stereotypes made my reading experience less enjoyable. I also didn't like that every other girl was seen as a "tramp" in the eyes of the protagonist.

message 20: by Ilse (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annie wrote: "Ilse wrote: "Annie wrote: "I'm definitely in the minority for this book. I didn't enjoy it. I couldn't even finish it, and I always finish books. But I was dragging myself through this one. Not eno..."

Times have changed.

SLoMoe Kassidi wrote: "Just a quick question.... is this dialogue normal for NA? I am dipping my toe into the waters of this genre so I'm just trying to understand."

hmmm... i felt like this book read a lot younger than other NA books that i have read.