Old Books, New Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > Nominations for March 2017

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luella (new)

Luella Hey all!

It's going to be March here soon. I was thinking we'd do an Irish based theme this month. So in honor of St. Patrick's Day please nominate a classic that is by an Irish author or a book that is about Ireland.

Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 5 valid nominations
3. Book should follow the theme
4. Try to explain why you are choosing the book (optional)

P.S.: Here's the list to all the books we already read as a group, to make sure we don't nominate them again:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and nominate Ulysses by James Joyce.

message 3: by Jon (last edited Feb 05, 2017 09:41PM) (new)

Jon | 397 comments Angie wrote: "Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and nominate Ulysses by James Joyce."

That's kind of a gimme (which I agree with, BTW). But to bend the bow a bit, I'll suggest either The Quare Fellow, The Hostage, or Borstal Boy, all by Brendan Behan. The first two are plays and the last is an autobiographical novel. So of all those, I would suggest Borstal Boy.

This was the writer who famously said, "I am a drinker with a writing problem."

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 219 comments Angie wrote: "Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and nominate Ulysses by James Joyce."

Ulysses is one of those books that I definitely want to read one day but have been putting off because I'm intimated. So maybe it will be good if it gets picked so that I will be "forced" to read it.

I'd like to nominate The Importance of Being Earnest

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane I recommend Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. I was inspired after having lunch at an Irish pub in Brisbane Australia today. I have never read this classical novel by an Irish writer and clergyman that is both a satire on human nature and a parody of the "travellers' tales" literary sub-genre.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 145 comments How about The Wild Irish Girl: A National Tale by Sydney Owenson Morgan. :) I found it on a list by Oxford World Classics for Irish literature and it sounded interesting. Especially because the author, Lady Morgan, was kept under surveillance after its publication. :O

message 7: by Luella (new)

Luella Sounds awesome. I have my five so the poll is now up. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.