Play Book Tag discussion

Lilac Girls
This topic is about Lilac Girls
Archive: Other Books > Lilac Girls/Kelly - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6257 comments If Jodi Picoult were to do historical fiction, this book would be just like that! Lilac Girls tells the story of the Polish "rabbits" . . .femal prisoners sent to the Ravensbruck concentration camp during World War II and experimented upon by the doctors that worked there. The book is told from three different perspectives: an American charity worker, a Polish prisoner, and a German doctor. It definitely has some difficult moments, as you might imagine if you've read anything about World War II and concentration camps. Kelly gives the reader some breaks by weaving in some romance . . .which I found to be more distracting from the story as opposed to enhancing it. The parent/child relationships were more powerful and interesting.

Overall, I liked it, but felt as though it could have been a little shorter. Up through the end of the war, is five stars, but the post war section seemed a little more rushed and less compelling. All in all a very good read on a hard topic, and one I think a wide range of readers would appreciate.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great comments, Anita. I have been on the fence about reading this one, even though I generally love historical fiction.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8180 comments I thought it was well done but emotionally tough to read.