Play Book Tag discussion

February 2017: Quirky > The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern by Erin Morgenstern - 2 Stars

The circus comes to town. It arrives one day with no publicity. It just simply appears. It only operates at night and once inside it is like no other experience. As the circus travels around the world two young illusionists, Marco and Celia, are being trained separately for a competition by masters who treat them more like puppets.

I know a lot of people love this book. In all fairness I'd be warned by many of them this was not a book that would appeal to me. They were right. While I recognize Morgenstern has a gift with language, I found the story wholly unsatisfying. I did appreciate the magical atmosphere she painted with words but that was the only thing I liked about the book. I found the competition overly drawn and the love story underwhelming. If she had focused more on the love story I think this book would have been enjoyable. I mean who wouldn't want to fall in love with all that magic floating around?

In the end, I can see why people enjoy the book but it wasn't for me.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Oh no! I loved this, one of the only successful uses of 2nd person in my opinion.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I loved it too! And we are not alone. But not everything fits everybody. I'm a little nervous about some of the early high notes myself.

message 4: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1529 comments I'm sorry you didn't like it. Count me in the camp of those who loved it. I wasn't sure I would from the description but the writing sucked me in.

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6183 comments Regina, I'm afraid I would be right with you. I've decided I'm not going to read it. I don't really like books about circuses and this just doesn't sound good to me on any level .

message 6: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 493 comments Regina - I'm with you. I gave it 3 stars (rounded up from 2.5).

message 7: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:42PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1365 comments I'm so sad you didn't like this one. This is on my favorites! Oh well, to each their own.

message 8: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I certainly understand how some people love it. The atmospheric writing is incredible, which is why I didn't assign a 1. I'm just not drawn to this kind of work. I certainly had enough people caution me that it wasn't for me. But, since it was available on audio through the library and it fit a challenge I thought, why not try it?

message 9: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, I really enjoyed the audio. I can see how it would not appeal to everyone but I found it magical.

message 10: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 147 comments I didn't think I would like this book that much cause it's really not my usual fare, but I ended up loving it so much? I can't really explain why, tbh. It was just so different than anything I'd ever really read. But I'm sorry you didn't like it as much!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I loved this one too.

message 12: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments I'm also in the loved it camp. The audio wasn't working for me so I switched to the hard copy about a third of the way through.

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Flo wrote: "I didn't think I would like this book that much cause it's really not my usual fare, but I ended up loving it so much? I can't really explain why, tbh. It was just so different than anything I'd ev..."

Same for me, Flo! Really not my usual cup of tea. I like my fiction very realistic. But I loved this one . . .

message 14: by Finn (new)

Finn Lee | 2 comments I didn't love it either. I feel like it had many of the components to the types of books I usually like and a lot of potential but it just didn't come together right. It probably didn't help that right before this I read The Crown's Game which has some basic plotline similarities but was more enjoyable in my opinion so this one just fell short in comparison.

Regina- given what you said I think you may also enjoy The Crown's Game more.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments While I am sad you didn't enjoy this book, I am not at all shocked. I would never in a million years recommend it to you.

message 16: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Sara wrote: "While I am sad you didn't enjoy this book, I am not at all shocked. I would never in a million years recommend it to you."

I'm pretty sure you were one who warned me away from this one. But, it fit the tag and the library had it so I thought I would give it a try.

message 17: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Finn wrote: "I didn't love it either. I feel like it had many of the components to the types of books I usually like and a lot of potential but it just didn't come together right. It probably didn't help that r..."

I will take a look at that one.