Old Souls Book Club discussion

Inspiration > Qualities of an Enlightened Mind

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
An enlightened person (Jivanmukta in Sanskrit, literally meaning a person who is liberated in their life and living) is someone who:
* is awake but as calm as she would be in deep sleep
* is unaffected by pleasure or pain
* whose wisdom is unclouded by hidden tendencies
* appears to have likes, dislikes or fears, but is, in fact free
* is free from egotism
* is unattached to action or inaction
* is not afraid of anyone; nor is anyone afraid of her

A tall order, but it's a journey, and it's good to know the signposts along the way :)

Are there other qualities that come to mind when you think of an enlightened soul? Please share!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments imho, I think such an enlightened being with these qualities has transcended the human experience. Isn't the point of this human life to live these emotions and still learn to love and be loved? Even the most spiritual of people are impacted by suffering, fear and take/encourage action to support and help others. Saiisha, this is definitely an interesting topic for discussion. Looking forward to reading what others think.

message 3: by Saiisha (new)

Kris wrote: "imho, I think such an enlightened being with these qualities has transcended the human experience. Isn't the point of this human life to live these emotions and still learn to love and be loved? Ev..."

You're right Kris - I think an enlightened being of such qualities is one step away from "nirvana" or liberation - they're usually on the planet earth to live out the last of their karmas (good or bad) and / or to guide others along the path. I'm curious to see others' thoughts on here as well :)

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Kris and Saiisha, When I read the qualities of an enlightened person, I immediately thought of the Dali Llama. The people who have written about meeting and talking with him describe his demeanor as unlike anyone else they've ever met. I think he embodies several if not all of the characteristics.

I definitely think we have to consciously aspire to change in ourselves, but I also know how difficult it is in the everyday rush we call life. I just remind myself it's not a race but a journey.

message 5: by Dewin (new)

Dewin Anguas Barnette | 37 comments I am currently reading Anita Moorjani's new book, What if This is Heaven?, and it, like her first book, says to embrace the ego as part of the reason we are here on this plane. Without it, we would be as we are in the other plane, and the whole reason we came here in the first place is to learn from the human experience.

I like her view because instead of trying to drive out "negative" thoughts or emotions, we accept them which helps them to flow past more easily than if we were to try to stuff them away believing that we are to not experience them. I'm reading the section right now on the myth of "We must always be positive". Looking back on my life, as weird as it sounds, some of the greatest times, and definitely the times of greatest learning, were when I was saddest and loneliest. Maybe allowing them is the key to being less affected by them, and people just misinterpret the teaching of being affected by pleasure or pain as stuffing those feelings away. But, she talks a lot about how here we have opposites, such as pleasure and pain, to teach us, whereas in the other realm, there are no opposites, all is one. So someday we will get there, whether in this plane or the next.

Anyway, it is definitely an interesting thing to think about!

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote, "Kris and Saiisha, When I read the qualities of an enlightened person, I immediately thought of the Dali Llama. The people who have written about meeting and talking ..."

Agree Barbara, and in reality, there have been many, many enlightened souls who walked this earth - some well known of course, like the Dalai Lama, and others that we don't even know about - they just live their lives, and serve their communities, and help raise the consciousness of the planet... all in a day's work for them :)

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Dewin wrote: "I am currently reading Anita Moorjani's new book, What if This is Heaven?, and it, like her first book, says to embrace the ego as part of the reason we are here on this plane. Without it, we would..."

I love that angle Dewin - that positivity is a myth; and agree with it entirely! Creation itself is rooted in duality! Both positive and negative are necessary, not only for this world to go around, but for each of us to live and learn through. Without one, we can't learn about the other!

I'll have to check out Anita Moorjani's new book - thanks for the recommendation!

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Thanks Dewin, I agree that sometimes our greatest learning occurs in dark times or negativity. I also agree we're here to learn. I haven't read either of Anita Moorjani's books but now I want to. Thanks!

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Sherblom | 10 comments The concept of Enlightenment as something all of us can attain in this lifetime, with sufficient discipline and practice, or simply through grace or serendipity, seems to have become much more common in the last few years. One of my favorite books is by two neuro-scientists entitled "How Enlightenment Changes Your Brain." Their research includes thousands of people and their enlightenment experiences regardless of faith or lack of faith. It appears to simply be part of becoming spiritually mature as a human being.

message 10: by Saiisha (new)

Jim wrote: "The concept of Enlightenment as something all of us can attain in this lifetime, with sufficient discipline and practice, or simply through grace or serendipity, seems to have become much more comm..."

Agree Jim - that's why we all seek it, because it seems attainable :) Thanks for the book recommendation - it sounds interesting!!

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 27 comments Barbara wrote: "Kris and Saiisha, When I read the qualities of an enlightened person, I immediately thought of the Dali Llama. The people who have written about meeting and talking with him describe his demeanor a..."
Barbara, I did as well. I am reading The Book of Joy, this read follows a week with the Dali Llama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. During this week, they definitely show earthly qualities including silliness. I am really enjoying the read. I love your comment on aspiring to change being a journey.