Smashwords Authors discussion

Alexa Lynsey
This topic is about Alexa Lynsey
Author of the Month > Author/Promotion of the Month - Alexa Lynsey - Tales of the Golden Mask - Feb 2017

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (last edited Feb 04, 2017 01:33AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Hi

I have amended this to be Author/Promotion of the month to allow us to diversify

This is me again, as my pen name:)
Tales of the Golden Mask: An Initiate's Tale is an adult rated sexy frolic set in a fantasy world of elves, humans, trolls and magic.

The first in the series the titular mask and its companion - a mysterious book - from the tents of the festival dancers, to the 'playhouse' of the Golden Mask, to the elegant High City of the Monarch of the Sky we follow the adventures of a young dancer as she becomes the consort of a prince.

This contains scenes of sex and bedroom pleasures - be warned.

Feel free to ask questions. Alexa will poke her companion author - Belle De Ver to see if she's also around.

message 2: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hi - How did co-writing a book actually work in practice?

message 3: by Alexa (new)

Alexa Lynsey | 2 comments Hi Steph,
Well we've written together a few times before, and know the other writer's work very well.

Golden Mask was based, loosely on something we'd collaborated on before for a bit of fun.

We either write in google docs in a shared document, so we can see what the other is doing, or one will write then the other checks and follows up - tag team writing, as it were.

We chat a lot so can discuss ideas and where the story wants to go. Our styles are different so we have to adapt.

The hardest bit for me - I'm a Brit, Belle is from the US - so it's catching the US English/Brit English discrepancies in phrase and spelling. We agree which to use and go with that. My spell checker gets upset with US spelling and Belle's with UK spelling. Sometimes I just change mine - I'm probably more familiar with US spelling than Belle is with UK.

We both like lyrical, rather flowery language and imagery so that works. If one of us doesn't like something we discuss and either compromise or change it.

It's harder than writing alone - but it's a lot of fun. We laugh a lot, we bounce ideas around and we compliment each other's strength. Also we have a built-in proof reader - as we check each other's work.

It's the first time we used a pen name - and to be honest setting everything up new is a bit of a faff.

As to payment - thus far Belle deals with the paperbacks and I deal with e-books. And we split payment when it becomes worth doing so. We trust each other so there's no issue with that.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good Morrow to you all. Alexa has poked me, and thusly I have arrived. I am pleased and delighted to meet you all and answer any questions that you might have.

I believe Alexa covered co-writing quite wonderfully. Thank you, Alexa, dear. :)

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 1393 comments Did the co-writing slow down or speed up the writing process for each of you? As in, did knowing someone was waiting for your contribution help you be motivated to devote more time to the project than you usually do to your writing projects?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

For me, co-writing is a good motivator. Knowing someone is waiting on me to complete a section or offer up suggestions/make edits to a section helps me prioritize my writing time. If I'm working on a personal project, it is much easier to set it aside when life is busy. (Just ask the 2 in progress works that have been bumming about since 2012. ;) )

I also find it easier to write when I have another writer live on chat with me. I enjoy having someone to bounce ideas off of, talk through the "stuck" places, and just plain having a cheering squad to keep me motivated. :)