Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Nominations & Polls > March 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaycie (last edited Feb 04, 2017 12:58AM) (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Hello and happy February, group!

March's categories are going to be:

Family and Self
SciFi and Fantasy

Nominate away!!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments For Family and Self, how about Eugénie Grandet by Honore de Balzac?

For Sci Fi/Fantasy, I would like to read a Terry Pratchett DiscWorld book. I am open to suggestions about which one - I have read a few but there are lots!

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 630 comments Mod
I nominate for Family and Self: Extinction by Thomas Bernhard
Extinction by Thomas Bernhard

and for SciFi and Fantasy: A Clockwork Orange
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

message 4: by Kaycie (new)

Anyone have a suggestion on the Pratchett novel?? I was going to put the polls up soon, and if I don't hear, I'll just list it as the series and we'll pick one based on who has read what if it wins.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments If no-one else has a suggestion, I'd like to read Wyrd Sisters...

message 6: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 129 comments Terry Pratchett, The Wee Free Men

message 7: by Kaycie (new)

I can add both Discworld books to the polls for this month so we can see what people want to read. hopefully people that vote for one of them would be also okay reading the others.

So I've never read a Discoworld and see that neither book is the first in the series. Are they standalone novels or will I need the background to read either one?

message 8: by Kaycie (new)

Oh, and polls are up.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I started reading the DiscWorld series because a friend recommended Hogfather to me ( which isn't a 'entry' book either). I didn't have any troubles enjoying it & it seems to me that though each subseries has continuing characters, enough background is given each time that they can be read as stand-alones. So unless you have a strong preference for reading series in order, I think you will be fine with either of them.

message 10: by Kaycie (new)

Thanks, Leslie. Good to know. I'll use my vote as a tie breaker for one of the discworld novels since I've already read Clockwork Orange.

Polls are up, guys!

message 11: by Kaycie (new)

We have a tie, guys! If you haven't voted, get in your pick!

message 12: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 129 comments Does anyone know how to get to the polls on an iPhone?

message 13: by Kaycie (new)

I don't use the app, but the webpage. I can get pills that way on Android so i assume iphone will be similar.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments Dennis wrote: "Does anyone know how to get to the polls on an iPhone?"

Try this link:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...