Behind the Eclipse: The Unheard from the West African Ebola Crisis . . . Behind the Eclipse question

Does the use of Liberian english in the dialogues make the book more apealing?
Amy Johnson Amy Feb 03, 2017 08:10PM
My opinion is those parts quoted from Liberian English ( which is a unique dialect) helps the story to remain very close to the real context/ geographical location which was the epicenter of the Ebola crisis. At the same time those dialogues say a lot about the country and add some appeal to the book.

For me it was quite a different experience as I do not have a clue about those countries. Sometimes I had to read few times to else to refer the glossary to understand them. For those who know them a bit, I think that may be appealing.

Amy Johnson I can see your point, but removing the typical Liberian dialogues would story monotonous and that cultural difference highlighted in the book may not ...more
Feb 07, 2017 08:38PM · flag

Rohana (last edited Feb 06, 2017 10:24PM ) Feb 06, 2017 10:21PM   0 votes
The book deals with an issue originated in West African region and the people living there .As far as that aspect is concerned, the Liberian English might give one a hint of closeness about their life style and keep the story alive ,allowing the reader to learn something as to how they cope with this disaster.

Amy Johnson I am absolutely for your reply.
Feb 07, 2017 08:38PM · flag