Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > [Aodh de Blácam] Merge profiles

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2017 11:38AM) (new)

Hi Aaron,

FYI, We have to keep the name that is on the book cover as primary and can add a secondary spelling to make sure all his books show up on his primary account. I wish I could find you an example to link.

But here is a verbal example, some of Dean Koont'z books have his middle initial some don't. We don't just change his name. He has them listed under both here on GRs.

#4. the cover has Mark as a first name. I fixed author name. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7... Do you still think #4 is him?
#3. I added image from amazon and put a period after the A. which is proper for GRs. I added Aodh De Blacam as secondary author but I don't know how to note it or if i have to. Any other librarians can you tell me?
#2. Do you own the book? Could you provide a cover image? I added Aodh De Blacam as secondary author.

message 3: by A (new)

A | 70 comments Hi Corinne,

I own a book called "As I Roved Out" by Cathal O'Byrne where Hugh is referenced as an author "de Blacam".

I would challenge you to find a different Irish author of the time or any time by any of those names that doesn't point back to Aodh de Blácam.

All those titles are linked to Aodh de Blácam or Hugh de Blacam on Worldcat. If you search for Hugh you will find Aodh, he's used other varients as well, but those aren't on Goodreads as far as I can see.

So those authors are accurate, but I just assume we would go with Worldcat?

message 4: by A (new)

A | 70 comments *I mean names for Hugh

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2017 11:52AM) (new)

I believe you but did you look at #4?

I just added 'Aodh De Blacam' to the ones that have a different name on the cover. I completely agree those are him but if anyone went looking for Hugh, because that's on their book, they wouldn't find him so we leave both spellings.

Maybe someone else higher up than me will just merge them.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

p.s. I had originally started my post with how do you know? then edited that out because I foolishly glossed over your proof. You made it really obvious. sorry for the confusion. you probably read my original post but I did edit it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess I am not giving you consistent information because it looks like other posts you've made have all the profiles being merged. I guess I'll just pack it up.

message 8: by A (new)

A | 70 comments No worries, I'm thinking of coming up with a template that I can just post every time haha since I seem to run into this sort of things often :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

You can apply to be a librarian and skip the middle man.

message 10: by A (new)

A | 70 comments Haha how did I know this was coming? ;)

message 11: by A (new)

A | 70 comments I haven't added any books though so I better get working on that first!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

No pressure. :)

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

p.s. By "added books" I think it might mean to your shelves.

message 14: by A (new)

A | 70 comments Really? I guess was under the impression you actually had to add them to the site. Maybe I'll reconsider then!

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 04, 2017 01:28PM) (new)

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/6... really, really. You may enjoy doing your own edits. There is a manual to read and if you aren't confident about an edit, you do the same thing you did previously. Post it and a more experienced person will answer you or do it.

If you don't get accepted try again in the future. I think they have a quantity limit. So may have to wait until there is a need.

message 16: by A (new)

A | 70 comments Thanks I just read through the entire librarian manual, I may give it a shot.

message 17: by lethe (last edited Feb 05, 2017 01:18AM) (new)

lethe | 13537 comments Corinne wrote: "We have to keep the name that is on the book cover as primary and can add a secondary spelling to make sure all his books show up on his primary account."

Not entirely true. For authors that do not wish to keep their books separate, we put one name as primary author. If the name on the cover is different, we add that as secondary author.

For authors with different names in different languages, we put the English/"international" name as primary author.

For authors that are now in Public Domain, we use the name they published under in their lifetime as the primary author. See Krazykiwi's comment in this other thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This to ensure that all editions can be combined with each other.