Obsessed with True Crime discussion

The Blood of Emmett Till
This topic is about The Blood of Emmett Till
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Blood of Emmett Till

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments The Blood of Emmett Till by Timothy B. Tyson

Released January 31, 2017

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1352 comments Oh I saw this one on the news. Looks interesting.

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3326 comments Mod
"This reexamines a pivotal event of the civil rights movement—the 1955 lynching of Emmett Till. In 1955, white men in the Mississippi Delta lynched a fourteen-year-old from Chicago named Emmett Till. His murder was part of a wave of white terrorism in the wake of the 1954 Supreme Court decision that declared public school segregation unconstitutional. Only weeks later, Rosa Parks thought about young Emmett as she refused to move to the back of a city bus in Montgomery, Alabama. Five years later, Black students who called themselves “the Emmett Till generation” launched sit-in campaigns that turned the struggle for civil rights into a mass movement. Till’s lynching became the most notorious hate crime in American history."

Erin  | 374 comments I read it, it was beautiful and powerful. It was also infuriating. After 60 years the woman who got him killed, by saying he whistled at her recants and says she made it up.

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 11528 comments I remember Mamie Till-Mobley saying in Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America that while the trial was going on, the wretched woman commented that the Emmett Till murder had "ruined her life." Mamie's response -- the response of a woman who lost her only son to a lynch mob -- was along the lines of "She thinks it ruined HER life?"

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.