2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2017 > Kay's 50 Books (Or More) Adventure

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Hello everybody! Seeing that I'm a new member to this site, my aim for this year is to read 50 (or more) books. One of my New Year's Resolution is to get stuck in the books that I haven't got around to reading at all. Also, there will be some favourite books that I'll be re-reading, purely out of sheer enjoyment.

Also I am taking book suggestions too. I'm almost open to anything, so please don't hesitate to suggest books - who knows, I might buy them if I'm interested.

message 2: by Kay (last edited Mar 04, 2017 09:16AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Reading progress:

1. A Cat Called Birmingham by Chris Pascoe by Chris Pascoe (Read in January)
2. Suicide Squad The Official Movie Novelization by Marv Wolfman by Marv Wolfman (Read in January)
3. All The Single Ladies by Jane Costello by Jane Costello (Read in January)
4. Love Me or Leave Me by Claudia Carroll by Claudia Carroll (Read in January)
5. Tyrant by Valerio Massimo Manfredi by Valerio Massimo Manfredi (Read in January)
6. The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson by Jonas Jonasson (Read in February)
7. Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Shopaholic #3.5) by Sophie Kinsella by Sophie Kinsella (Read in February)
8. Nail Your Novel Instant Fix 100 tips for fascinating characters by Roz Morris by Roz Morris (Read in February)
9. Forever Innocent (The Forever Series, #1) by Deanna Roy by Deanna Roy (Read in February)
10. A Day of Fire A Novel of Pompeii by Stephanie Dray by Stephanie Dray (Read in February)
11. Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #13; The Dacians, #1) by Kresley Cole by Kresley Cole (Read in February)
12. Girl with Guitar (Kylie Ryans, #1) by Caisey Quinn by Caisey Quinn (Read in February)
13. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling (Read in February)
14. The Wish List by Jane Costello by Jane Costello (Read in February)
15. The Color of Heaven (The Color of Heaven, #1) by Julianne MacLean by Julianne MacLean (Read in February)
16. The Obsession (Princess Shanyin, #1) by Liliana Lee by Liliana Lee (Read in February)
17. 50 Haiku by David Francis Jeffery by David Francis Jeffery (Read in February)
18. Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series, #1) by Miriam Minger by Miriam Minger (Read in March)
19. Luna the Autobiography of a Super Cat by Luna Challis by Luna Challis (Read in March)

message 3: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:04AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 1:

A Cat Called Birmingham by Chris Pascoe

First time reading? Yes
Reading type: Hardback

My rating: 5/5

My review:

As a cat lover and someone who lives with two cats, I could identify with this book and I connected to Chris and his crazy yet lovable feline companion, Birmingham. It didn't take that long to read, perhaps two days, and overall I found it entertaining and enjoyable. More than once I found myself howling with laughter at Birmingham's hilarious and strange antics. I'll be looking more into Chris Pascoe's books so no doubt I'll buy some more in the future.

message 4: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:05AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 2:

Suicide Squad The Official Movie Novelization by Marv Wolfman

First time reading? Yes
Reading type: Paperback

My rating: 4/5

My review:

Having seen and enjoyed the movie last year, I decided to buy this. It was on my reading list since October last year, however because I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire series it had to wait until January this year. I really liked this novel adaption of the film as it works well - it's good to see familiar scenes as well as characters' quotes/lines that appeared in the movie.

What interested me the most was how the novel focuses on characterization and also the thought processes too. It's always good to see what's going on inside the character's head. If you're big fans of the movie, then I recommend you should buy it and see for yourself.

message 5: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:09AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 3:

All The Single Ladies by Jane Costello

First time reading? Yes

My review:

A few years ago I bought this book in Asda for £1 - a really great bargain at the time. It wasn't until I was cleaning out my room a couple of weeks that I stumbled across this book. I realised I haven't read it, so I decided to and I didn't regret my decision. I couldn't put it down and surprisingly I finished the book within two days.

It's a light hearted and charmingly written chick lit - there are downright funny scenes that had me chuckling as well as plot twists/serious moments that held my interest. I have to admit towards the end I wanted Sam to completely let go of her ex boyfriend so she could pursue romance with her new love interest.

The ending was satisfactory, a bit of a surprise really, and I felt that Sam had grew as a character and was stronger as a result.

message 6: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 4:

Love Me or Leave Me by Claudia Carroll

First time reading? Yes

My review:

From the start I was drawn in - the whole premises of a divorce hotel sounds intriguing and I wondered how the hotel will be run under Chloe's management since she's no stranger to being jilted at the alter.

As the story progressed as well as being introduced to the main three couples it was interesting to delve into their personalities as well as their reasons for getting a divorce. It was a roller coaster of emotions for me as at times I found myself laughing and smiling while there were times in which had me genuinely concerned for the characters.

Overall I really liked the ending and I was pleased with the outcome - let's just say, all of them found their happiness and resolutions in more ways than one

message 7: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:18AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 5:

Tyrant by Valerio Massimo Manfredi

First time reading? Yes

My rating: 3/5

My review:

What was a promising start to what I hoped was an interesting book turned into a state of mixed feelings. After reading the book I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, which kinda disappointed me. Admittedly when I purchased the book it was the first time I've heard of Dionysius, however being a lover of history and anything to do with Ancient Greece I was prepared to go into this with an open mind. There were some rather well written sections of the book that I enjoyed while sadly some other parts were tedious to read.

I kinda had a love/hate relationship with the hero, Dionysius - I admired his valor and determination at the start and I genuinely felt sorry for him, especially when he was torn apart by the rape and brutal murder of his beloved wife.

However the more he obtained power and became drunk on it, his arrogance shone through as a tyrant and that's when I started to lose my respect for him. The other characters, especially his brother as well as his close friends, remained the voice of reason and I found myself caring for them more than Dionysius.

message 8: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 6:

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson

First time reading? Yes

My review:

Seriously words can't describe how imaginative and bizarre this book is - it's not a book I would normally read so imagine my surprise and delight as I found myself venturing on one hell of an adventure. Allan Karlsson, the hundred year old man who managed to escape from an old people's home, has become a fictional hero and he's the prime example that age is nothing but a number in so many ways.

The plots/narratives are really interesting as it's split into two parts; the first part being Allan's hilarious antics while encountering an array of characters while on the run. The second part delves into his past life in which he plays an important part in 20th Century events and meeting famous people in the process.

The chain of events as well as how the characters linked into one another was very solid, however towards the end I felt it dragged on just a little bit.

message 9: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 7:
Shopaholic on Honeymoon (Shopaholic #3.5) by Sophie Kinsella

First time reading? Yes
Reading type: Ebook (Kobo)

My rating: 2/5

My review:

A very average read in my opinion. I didn't realise that this short story was part of a series in the first place, so that's why I found it hard to connect to Becky and Luke and I couldn't really assess their characters.

Overall it was cute as the couple were on their honeymoon in Venice and some parts did make me smile slightly, however Becky kinda got on my nerves due to how childish she can be. I didn't personally like it when in the midst of an argument she said something like "I wish I didn't marry you!" - whether she meant it or not, I just felt it was wrong and over-dramatic.

I felt that Luke was the only one with the head on their shoulders and I could see his reasons for cutting short a year long honeymoon. I do wish the story was longer though as it had the potential to be fleshed out.

message 10: by Kay (last edited Feb 04, 2017 12:35PM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 8:

Nail Your Novel Instant Fix 100 tips for fascinating characters by Roz Morris

First time reading? Yes

My rating: 3/5

My review:

When I saw this was free on my Kobo I jumped at the chance of getting it, simply under the impression that it was an actual fleshed-out book. You can imagine my slight disappointment and surprise to find this was nothing but an extract from a book. It was like reading a short yet informative article full of writing and characterization tips.

Most of the tips I have heard of already, so I didn't really learn anything from it. I think it can be helpful for reminding yourself or if you're stuck for character ideas, but other than that it's good for beginner writers rather than immediate or expert writers.

Still I am rather interested in her other books - maybe I will look into them sooner or later.

message 11: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 9:

Forever Innocent (The Forever Series, #1) by Deanna Roy

First time reading? Yes

My review:

I got to admit after reading this book I sat down on my computer and tears run down my cheeks - never in a million of years did I think that a story would be so heart wrenching as this would have this effect on me. No one should go through losing a child; I'm not a parent myself so I would never understand the magnitude of that horror.

I really felt for Corabelle and Gavin and almost everything about their personalities as well as their emotions/reasons for what they did was realistic to some extent. I liked the fact that it's told from both point of views and it was interesting to get into their heads. Throughout the story I wanted them to work out - it's clear from the random flashbacks they were perfect for one another and there were some genuinely sweet and funny moments.

The only thing I found really emotional/hard is reading what happened to their baby, Finn, and the events leading up to his death. Overall it was a solid read, but I feel that the ending was too abrupt for my taste.

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 10:

A Day of Fire A Novel of Pompeii by Stephanie Dray

First time reading? Yes

My review:

As someone who's really interested in Pompeii for ages, I've had my eye on this book for some time. Did it deliver? Yes, indeed. In fact I was blown away by how fantastic it was and it did spark a lot of emotions within me as I read the book.

Even though it's a collaboration of six authors the premises is highly excellent - I enjoy how the characters and some of their stories/ventures overlap with one another. Gotta admit at first I disliked the odd one or two characters, but my opinions of them changed overtime and that's the beauty of story telling. It just shows that a devastating natural disaster such as Mount Vesuvius erupting not only brings about death and suffering, but it also brings about a sense of rebirth, hope and change.

All the sections were very well written, the descriptions so vivid and realistic. Through reading this I can imagine how apocalyptic this event was for the citizens of Pompeii and the gradual impending sense of doom and destruction was indeed flawless. Two big thumbs up overall.

message 13: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 11:

Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #13; The Dacians, #1) by Kresley Cole

First time reading? No

My review:

In anticipation of Shadow's Seduction coming out at the end of this month, I decided to get into the spirit of rereading the first book of The Dacians series. Seriously, Kresley Cole is one of my all time favourite authors and she is, in my opinion, the Queen of Paranormal Romance.

I love how Immortals After Dark gets a spin-off series (in a way) in which there are familiar species and other things like that. The Dacians are an interesting species of vampires and it was good to learn a little bit more of their culture and world. Trehan is certainly my favourite - he's sexy, logical, mysterious and is willing to move mountains to win over his Bride, Bettina. Bettina, while inexperienced and anxiety ridden due to being attacked/having her powers stolen, isn't such a strong heroine.

I understand that she's got a girl-hood crush on her childhood friend, Caspion, but it's more unrequited love on her part as Cas is a man whore and he only has sisterly feelings towards her. It took her a long while to decide realise that Trehan is the man she loves, but once we see her falling for him it's really sweet and sexy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the action scenes, especially the tournament, and while we're introduced to new characters, some well loved characters makes an appearance. Overall, an excellent read.

message 14: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 12:

Girl with Guitar (Kylie Ryans, #1) by Caisey Quinn

First time reading? Yes

My rating: 3/5 (well, technically 3.5/5)

My review:

This was so challenging to rate. It's times like this I wish there was half a star rating. Anyway this book was a quick read full of some feel good moments and most importantly full of music/the whole idea of never giving up on your dreams. Don't ask me why, but a couple of pages in it really reminded me of a mixture of Crossroads (yep, the Britney Spears film) and Coyote Ugly.

From the start I liked Kylie - it's clear she has a passion for making music and after her dad dying and her stepmother kicking her out of the house she embarks on an adventure to get into the business of country music. There is an upbeat personality to her and she's not afraid to stand up for herself at all times. As for the hero, Trace, I didn't like him at all - I felt that his behaviour/attitude (including him getting drunk all the time) made him to be a right prick in my eyes. It took me 13 chapters or more for me to warm up to him.

But I do admit they bring some things to the table in which Kylie calls him out on his behavior and Trace does care for her in his own way and he is full of advice about how tough the music industry can be. Some of the drama was over the top that it just made me roll my eyes and some minor things could have been expanded upon/explained better. I just wished we had more of an insight into Trace's head. I think it would have worked even better if at times the point of view was shifted from Kylie to Trace so we can see why he's throwing his career down the drain, why he acts like a dick at times, etc.

If there was one thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the use of lyrics. I don't think I've read a book which does that. There was plenty of sexual chemistry between the couple, however at times their romance was something akin to love/hate until the ending when they resolved things. I do hope they record their duet together and I'm sure Kylie will make it big as a country star.

message 15: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Okay, so I have an idea. Because I have more books on my to-read list I'm going to let you choose the next book that I should read.

Anyway here are the options:

1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
2. Reaver - Larissa Ione
3. The Wish List - Jane Costello
4. Dracula - Bram Stoker
5. The Colour of Heaven - Julianne MacLean
6. 50 Ways To Find A Lover - Lucy-Anne Holmes

If one person comments, then I'll immediately take their suggestion. Or if more than one person comments, then the popular vote will win.

Thanks in advance! :)

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments Harry Potter. :D

message 17: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Nik wrote: "Harry Potter. :D"

It's such a great book series :D And thanks for your suggestion too. I'm reading it right now.

message 18: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments You're welcome and yay! Is this your first time reading it? Your comment that it's a great series makes me wonder if this is a re-read. I have been meaning to re-read it for some time, but it hasn't managed to bubble to the top of the list just yet. I did take some friends and my mum to London to see Cursed Child in December, and that was a real treat. =)

message 19: by Kay (last edited Feb 15, 2017 01:49PM) (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 13:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

First time reading? No

My review:

You're just never too old for Harry Potter, that's what I think. Seriously, this series was a part of my childhood/teenage-hood - I've read all the books and still working on seeing all the films. Rereading this, especially after a few years of not reading this, is like meeting up with an old friend and catching up with them.

Everything about this from start to finish is such a magical experience and you can easily immerse yourself in the wonders in which is known as Hogwarts. The plot is quite engaging and I also like how mysterious it can be - J.K Rowling is one of those authors that gets better by book in my opinion. Of course in a sense you can tell she's experimenting with the magical world/spells in the first book of the Harry Potter series, but nonetheless you're swept away with the excitement of it all. The characters is what makes the story as there's quite a mixture - good and bad.

I don't know what else to say other than this: There is so much wonderful nostalgia, especially if you've been with the series right from the beginning.

message 20: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Nik wrote: "You're welcome and yay! Is this your first time reading it? Your comment that it's a great series makes me wonder if this is a re-read. I have been meaning to re-read it for some time, but it hasn'..."

You're right, it's a re-read :) I've grown up with the series, so it's one of my favourites. Ah sweet! I bought my best friend's daughter Harry Potter and the Cursed Child book for her birthday last year. Did you enjoy the show?

message 21: by Nik (new)

Nik (bleepnik) | 852 comments I loved the play. What was a surprise to me was that Anthony Boyle, the young actor who played Draco's son, was brilliant and completely stole the show. I didn't like the book very much, so I'm extra grateful that I got the opportunity to see the play.

Your re-read is making me want to start over. I also haven't seen all the films yet—I keep thinking that if I do, it'll really be over. But now that we have Fantastic Beasts to pull us back into that universe, I'm less anxious about finishing the original series.

So many books and films, so little time… =)

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 14:

The Wish List by Jane Costello

First time reading? Yes

My review:

This was the second book of Jane Costello that I've read (the first one being All The Single Ladies). And as I was starting to read this book I thought it was good, but not as good as the previous one I've read. But halfway through I quickly changed my mind as I realised it did deserve a 5 star rating in my eyes. She has certainly nailed it again!

I can relate to the main character, Emma, of this story. I'll be turning 30 this year and at times I jokingly say to my friends that I'm getting old. The only thing I didn't do that Emma done (with her friends and sister when they were 15 or so) is create a list of things to do/achieve before hitting that milestone. And now that Emma has six months before her 30th she decides to go ahead and do them. I think it was fun watching Emma accomplish the things on her wish list, most of them was hilarious to read.

What kinda frustrated me was the fact Emma ditched her boyfriend, Rob, because he asked her to marry him (when one of her items on the wish list was to find someone you're going to marry) and then she realises it was a big mistake and then ends up back together with him. And then when they have reconciled their relationship she develops feelings for her next door neighbour, Matt, and she realises that getting back with her previous boyfriend was a mistake and dumps him for a second time. It's like she couldn't make up her mind, going back and forth in her decisions and at one point I wanted to say out loud "Just pick one already and stick with him!" But ultimately I was glad when she picked Matt because I could tell there was a genuine spark between them.

It's not without sad/touching/shocking moments though as Emma, her friends and sister goes through rather bad times. I was taken back by discovering who the real father of Cally's little boy was - I didn't see that one coming at all. Also the incident where Emma witnessed her one of her boyfriend's sons being struck and treated appallingly by that horrible Frenchman really disgusted and irritated me. As I was reading that section I could feel myself wanting to get revenge on him, but in the end let's just say I was satisfied when justice was done.

I particularly enjoyed reading Emma's 30th birthday; it was bittersweet and poignant and I can see how far she had come along in her journey. Overall this book was a blast from start to finish, full of meaningful lessons and the concept of never giving up on your dreams no matter how small or big they are.

message 23: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 15:

The Color of Heaven (The Color of Heaven, #1) by Julianne MacLean

First time reading? Yes

My review:

Well, two days after reading the book and now I'm trying to string together my thoughts about it. I admit this isn't the type of book I would normally read, so this was refreshing and new at the same time. It's just that afterwards when you've finished it you sit there and it's only then you can truly appreciate how meaningful this was. Trust me, this book may (or may not) change your perspective of life.

From the start I was drawn to Sophie, the main character. The ordeals she had to suffer was pretty harsh - finding out her daughter has leukemia as well as her husband leaving her for another woman who he got pregnant. Sophie's grief when her little girl died was so emotional to read and you can see how helpless she is when she has to try and pick up the pieces of her life. I certainly wasn't expecting her near death experience. Let's just say that from that point onward there was a quite a few twists and turns that had me sitting bolt-right while exclaiming out loud, "Huh? What the hell?!"

Also we're introduced to Sophie's mother, Cora, and basically it's like a story within a story. Sounds confusing, right? Well, if you have read it then it should make sense to you. To be honest I enjoyed Cora's story more than Sophie's, purely because the narrative was more detailed and there was a lot of character growth. I felt that Sophie's story was let down a bit due to the writing form - it felt that we were reading Sophie's journal, therefore at times it lacked emotion and connection with the reader.

I won't give away the details of what happened in Cora's story otherwise I'd spoil it for the ones who haven't read it yet. But it didn't take me long to make a connection between Matt and Sophie based on the principle they're aspiring writers. And when I found out my thoughts were proven right in the end (even though there were times I doubted my theories while reading) I actually started cheering.

Overall, this book is full of surprises, both good and bad. It's about second chances/rebirth, loss, joy, miracles and hope. But most of all, it's a celebration of the ups and downs that you experience in life. Sure, some parts will confuse the hell out of you and it will seem like you're in an episode of Twilight Zone. However having said that, I like how all the mysteries and clues were placed together in the end in a way strengthened and heightened the outcome of the story.

message 24: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 16:

The Obsession (Princess Shanyin, #1) by Liliana Lee

First time reading? Yes

My review:

To be honest for a long time I've been slightly interested in the concept of the reverse harem genre in which a woman is in charge of a harem of men attending to her every need. So you can imagine my delight and surprise when I found out that a Princess has 30 concubines. My only concern at first was how the matter was going to be handled, however I had nothing to worry about as I felt it was tasteful and appealing in terms of the menage scenes.

There's quite a varied selection of characters and they're all interesting in their own little way. Princess Shanyin can be too overbearing and demanding at times, but as the story progressed I began to take a shine to her. There are so many layers of her personality - she is very sexual and has a hedonistic approach to the art of sex while at the same time there are some moments where she can be kind and merciful. I feel that her personality/character greatly counteracts her brother, the Emperor, due to the fact he's such a tyrant and he does so many questionable things. While the Emperor is very sadistic and unlikable, there are surprisingly honourable qualities to Shanyin that I can't help but to admire.

What really fascinated me from the start is the historical element of the story. The descriptions and backdrop of Ancient China was very beautifully written. It's so rare for a woman, especially in that particular age, to be outspoken and have power and dominance in a very male oriented society. And because of that, Shanyin is a strong heroine. And of course when it comes to the Royal Chinese family there will be plotting, vengeance, suspicion and outbreaks of rebellion.

I quite like the spark between Shanyin and Chu Yuan - their relationship seemed to be a game of tug of war in which Shanyin is determined to seduce Chu Yuan into bedding her and he refuses to bow to her demands. Their scenes were absolutely erotic (they done everything but have full sex) and it kept me on my toes as we learned more about them, particularly their background. One scene did come across as rapey though and that was when she was tied up and gagged by a mysterious person (when it was Yuan all along). A part of me was convinced he was going to force himself on her. Thankfully that never happened.

The ending blown me out of the water and the action was very fast paced and harrowing at times. I felt that the Emperor's assassination was well deserved - believe me, he definitely had it coming considering all the terrible things he done. And the reunion between Shanyin and Yuan was bittersweet and sexy at the same time. I admit after she drunk the poisoned tea I thought she was dead and the first few paragraphs of the epilogue had me feeling sad until I realised she was still alive while escaping from the palace.

Overall, this was a fantastic read full of sensual intrigue and a vivid historical backdrop. If you like erotica mixed with the ancient world, then you'll be in for a real treat.

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay M (angeleyes003) | 65 comments Book 17:

50 Haiku by David Francis Jeffery

First time reading? Yes

My review:

Okay, so I let you into a little secret. I really like reading and writing haikus. It was most fitting to read this book during National Haiku Writing Month (February.)

This was such a quick read - I read it within a span of 15 minutes - and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this. What makes it interesting and very much different is that all 50 of the haiku breaks away from the traditional 5-7-5 format (17 syllables). Instead as David Francis Jeffery says in his rules beforehand all his poems must be 13 syllables. I admit it took me a while to get used to this particular method, but after a while I think the rule worked to his advantage.

From start to finish he covers quite a range of subjects to talk about in his haiku and it's mostly about everyday things that happens in his life. Quite a few of them stood out to me due to them being hilarious and/or the descriptions were written in such a clever and vivid manner. It's really like quick snapshots of his life and whatnot. I just wished there was more than 50 haiku - it's kinda a shame though as he could have added 50 more to the book.

Also I think the cover could have been improved e.g. some items that are spoken about in his poems could have been featured. I'm not one to usually judge covers, however I felt on this occasion it could have been improved somewhat. Anyway I'd recommend this to poetry/haiku lovers out there as it's fun and entertaining to read.