Poetry Writing Contests discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
23 views
Mini Contests > Smiles Mini Contest

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (last edited Feb 03, 2017 03:41PM) (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod
.






description

So, as you may have guessed, our next mini contest is themed 'smiles."
Any type of smile counts, and remember, there are many many different ways to smile.


descriptiondescription

As always, there is a two poem limit.

Starts: Today!
Ends: February 17, 2017



message 2: by Bookcrazy ~ So what? I'm still a rock star~, Challenges + Games Mod (and super amazing poet) (last edited Feb 12, 2017 06:43PM) (new)

Bookcrazy ~ So what? I'm still a rock star~ | 526 comments Mod
Warrior

I hide my smiles in my long dark sleeves
Like knives to thrust into unsuspecting throats
And when I grieve
I thrust them out
My sharp curved mask
Wide mouth, wide cheekbones, white teeth
And I smile
Smile the dark away
As if
The light
Will triumph when we all know
Dusk is coming
As if
The battle
Will end alright when we all know
Men will die today
And my red stained robe
Bears the scars of my sins
And my smiles are like daggers plunging deep
And I thrust and smote
And it begins again
And my smiles wedge up tight inside my sleeves
It's a man's world
And yet I bring them down
It's a dark night
Hence my lustrous gown
And if they don't fall the first time
If my steel don't kiss their throat
I'll sweep back my head and smile
And the bodies will rise like smoke


message 3: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod
Bookcrazy ~ And I'm still singing hallelujah, hallelujah~ wrote: "Warrior

I hide my smiles in my long dark sleeves
Like knives to thrust into unsuspecting throats
And when I grieve
I thrust them out
My sharp curved mask
Wide mouth, wide cheekbones, white teeth
A..."


OMG yess someone got the hint that I was hoping for an evil smile poem to read! Love it!


message 4: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod
understanding

i'm not stupid
i admit i love your smile
but that doesn't mean
i don't know it's not real
and you can keep using it
as your shield
to cover up all that you feel -
but you're not as opaque
as you'd like to be -
in fact, your pain
is crystal clear to see



message 5: by Bookcrazy ~ So what? I'm still a rock star~, Challenges + Games Mod (and super amazing poet) (new)

Bookcrazy ~ So what? I'm still a rock star~ | 526 comments Mod
Emily ~ To the stars who listen and the dreams that are answered ~ wrote: "Bookcrazy ~ And I'm still singing hallelujah, hallelujah~ wrote: "Warrior

I hide my smiles in my long dark sleeves
Like knives to thrust into unsuspecting throats
And when I grieve
I thrust them o..."


It was so much fun to write so thanks!!


message 6: by Salam (new)

Salam AbuOdeh | 11 comments Smiling Tear

Have you ever seen how sad a smile can be
when tears fall down but heart in pain smiles to a loving face
when pain too great to hide the tear
and love just right to smile
thats when you see your face between a smile and an aching tear
my love forget these shamful tears and smile right back to me
the last I want my eyes to see your eyes smiling at me


message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 123 comments Smiles

There are those who smile to smile
And there are those who smile to pretend
And then there are those who just don't smike
Who try not to show emotion.

I hardly smile because I'd rather be called emotionless than get hurt so much
I'd rather my smiles be rare and real than common and fake
Because then they actually mean something

I'm sorry when I do give fake smiles but it's because you've asked me to smile and if I wanted to in the first place I would
I'm sorry

My smiles are rare,
Both fake and real,
And sometimes they emerge into
Your greatest fear


message 8: by ~Akweley♡Mazarae♥~★☆★oblivion★☆★~I CAN'T BREATHE~ (last edited Feb 12, 2017 12:34PM) (new)

~Akweley♡Mazarae♥~★☆★oblivion★☆★~I CAN'T BREATHE~ (nala13) | 322 comments Crooked teeth
bent together
forming a lopsided crescent moon
the force of
metal
used to bend them into shape
causing red to bleed from the sides
but still she grins

cackling
like witches on mystic brooms
on halloween,
she smiles,
showing off her pearly whites
and you're mesmerized
forgetting to stare into her eyes
hollow and empty

stitching lips
one by one
until her face begins to scare
little children who come up to greet her
they know something is wrong
but adults continue to stroll along
and refuse to see the pain inside
that is beginning to eat her

she smiles
a man once asked her
why a pretty girl like her didn't smile
then he gave her many reasons not to
and her soul began to cave in
and now she smiles
hoping people like beautiful dead corpses


message 9: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod
~Nadia~♥When You're Happy, You Enjoy the Music; When You're Sad, You Understand The Lyrics♥~ wrote: "Crooked teeth
bent together
forming a lopsided crescent moon
the force of
metal
used to bend them into shape
causing red to bleed from the sides
but still she grins

cackling
like witches on mysti..."


OMG this is so beautiful and I looovvvveee it


~Akweley♡Mazarae♥~★☆★oblivion★☆★~I CAN'T BREATHE~ (nala13) | 322 comments Emily ~ To the stars who listen and the dreams that are answered ~ wrote: "~Nadia~♥When You're Happy, You Enjoy the Music; When You're Sad, You Understand The Lyrics♥~ wrote: "Crooked teeth
bent together
forming a lopsided crescent moon
the force of
metal
used to bend th..."


Thanks love! It was just hella spontaneous, I had meant to just read some of the other submissions but then I was like, let me give it a try...thanks!


message 11: by Ardent || LoveArdent || Raya (last edited Feb 17, 2017 02:15PM) (new)

Ardent || LoveArdent || Raya (loveardent) | 120 comments Moon

High above
Sits the cold hard moon
The round circle is full
But curves very soon

It smiles down
Harsh and cold
My face bathed in its light
Grey patches, spotted like mold

It stares down
Unforgiving and bright
My face, silver curves
Its smile, a blinding sight

It smiles down
The moon, high above
The stars, high above
The galaxy, shining love


message 12: by ☾ stella ☽ (new)

☾ stella ☽ (colorful-little-poet) | 34 comments Painted Grin

Why does your smile
always seem to resemble
the painted one of a clown?
It's fake and terrifying
and you're falling apart behind it,
and your walls have started to tremble.
A painted grin,
a horrifying mask,
why do you do it, may I ask?
Is it because they like you better that way?
Or is it just to hide your flaws?
To embellish them like pretty poetry?
Don't worry darling, you're perfect to me


message 13: by ☾ stella ☽ (new)

☾ stella ☽ (colorful-little-poet) | 34 comments Smiles

Stop trying to rain
on my happy little parade
What do you have to gain
from destroying this happiness I've made?

And I'm never going to stop smiling
no matter what you say
Because this happiness is a right you keep defiling,
But when I'm grinning, your words don't matter anyway.


message 14: by ♥ Emily ♥ , Head Mod (new)

♥ Emily ♥   (emily_turtle) | 429 comments Mod
----contest is now closed----


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.