Mental Health Bookclub discussion

2017 Group Reads - Mental Health > 2017 Mental Health Group Reads - List

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (last edited Sep 22, 2017 03:28AM) (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi all,

Thanks for all those who have signed up so far! Please do continue to sign up - we've got plenty of spaces.

February
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks
Discussion leader: Martha

March
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson
Discussion leader: Marina
Trigger warning - self harm

April
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Trigger warning - depression / suicide

May
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
Discussion leader: Sydney
Trigger warning - suicide, self harm, eating disorder

June
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer

July
In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development by Carol Gilligan
Discussion leader: Ladyfilosopher

August
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini
Trigger warning - depression and suicide

September
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
Discussion Leader: Heather
Trigger warning - PTSD, self-harm imagery

October
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
Discussion Leader: Always Daddy Girl
Trigger warning: Set in mental health institution

November
A World Without You by Beth Revis
Discussion leader: Sophie Louise
Trigger warning - suicide

December
TBC

January
TBC

message 2: by Anon (new)

Anon Intellect | 1 comments I'm in

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Fab! Which month would you like to take?

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Hi all,

Our July book is supposed to be In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development by Carol Gilligan

I've contacted Ladyfilosopher who originally proposed the book, but haven't heard back - would anyone else be willing to lead the discussion on this book? If not would anyone else like to suggest a different book they'd like to lead and we can move In a Different Voice to later in the year?

Agnes/Heather if you'd like to take July instead of your chosen month that would also be totally fine

Thanks in advance!

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Ok, as we didn't get any volunteers to lead this discussion and Ladyfilosopher never came back to me, we will now be reading It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini for the July read.

More than happy to come back to In a Different Voice later in the year if anyone would like to volunteer to lead the discussion

message 6: by Ladyfilosopher (new)

Ladyfilosopher Martha wrote: "Ok, as we didn't get any volunteers to lead this discussion and Ladyfilosopher never came back to me, we will now be reading It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini f..."

Martha wrote: "Hi all,

Our July book is supposed to be In a Different Voice: Psychological Theory and Women's Development by Carol Gilligan

I've contacted Ladyfilosopher who origin..."

Hey HO!!! am here, hope in time! Technical difficulties had me limited in digital reality. Am ok for this if anyone else is

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Salter-Purves (thelycanproject) Hi I have been thinking about the September book and have thought of we were liars

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) Thanks Heather! Just to confirm, is it related to mental health? I couldn't tell from the synopsis. I don't want you to have to spoil any plot points, so I'm happy to take your word for it.

Also I haven't heard back from Agnes who was supposed to be taking August. Would you be interested in doing the discussion for Aug instead? Absolutely fine if you'd rather stick with September, I can find a different option for August

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthais) List now updated to include September and November books, still looking for volunteers for October and December - just message me if you fancy it!