The Orion Team. discussion

Hidden Agenda (Dan Roy, #1)
This topic is about Hidden Agenda
TARGET DECK > DAN ROY SERIES

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Hi Guys,

I am an independent author who has started a series of spy/black ops thrillers with Dan Roy, a disillusioned black ops soldier as the protagonist.
The first full length novel is out - Hidden Agenda.
The novella is also released - Hellfire.
If you join my subscriber group then you can get Hellfire for free:
http://www.subscribepage.com/p6f4a1
Looking for honest reviews and feedback. Humbled by the knowledge and experience in the armed forces that many of the members of this group have. Hopefully you will find my books entertaining!
Incidentally, I also have a historical war thriller called Enemy Within, based on WWI. Researching WW1 made me realise that in the geopolitical world - the more things change, the more they truly remain the same.
Thank you, Mick.Mick Bose

message 2: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Samuel  | 4692 comments Mod
Mick wrote: "Hi Guys,

I am an independent author who has started a series of spy/black ops thrillers with Dan Roy, a disillusioned black ops soldier as the protagonist.
The first full length novel is out - Hid..."

Welcome to the group Mick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.
Your book looks quite interesting. I'll be sure to take you up on your offer later this year, once I've cleared the proverbial deck.

In the meantime, do explore the group, we have a lot of interesting discussions going on that I'm sure you'll find fun and entertaining.

message 3: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Thanks a lot Samuel! Hope you get the time to read Hellfire, it's a quick and easy read.
There is something you might be able to help me with. The sequel of Hidden Agenda is almost done. The plot deals with unmanned underwater vehicles or UUV - under sea drones. The next frontier, if you like. Would you happen to know which branch of the US Navy would be involved with this? My research suggests several departments - the ONR - office of naval research/ also sections of the DARPA and the DEVGRU for the military wing. Any others you might know of?
Thanks Mick.

message 4: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Thanks a lot Samuel! Hope you get the time to read Hellfire, it's a quick and easy read.
There is something you might be able to help me with. The sequel of Hidden Agenda is almost done. The plot ..."

Dear Mick,

I'm not sure DEVGRU would be running any drones for intelligence gathering operations. They're a special operations team first and foremost. Intelligence gathering for their operations is either done by the Intelligence Support Activity or the CIA and DIA.

There was an organization called the NURO in the Cold War that did similar functions to the National Recon Office, albeit under the sea. There is a high likelihood that they've been subject to disbandment, but if they still exist, they'd most certainly be running UUV's.

Another organization to add to the list. The Defense Intelligence Agency, America's Military intelligence service. They'd be the recipient of information gathered by UUV's.

Hope this helps.

Kindest Regards,

Sam.

message 5: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Samuel wrote: "Mick wrote: "Thanks a lot Samuel! Hope you get the time to read Hellfire, it's a quick and easy read.
There is something you might be able to help me with. The sequel of Hidden Agenda is almost do..."

Thanks Samuel!
Yes the DIA is a great organisation for the scenes I have in mind. There is also a secretive think tank called the CSBA - center for stragtegic and budgetary assessments, that does research into things like UUV`s. The DIA gets info from all the different branches of military intelligence it seems and liaises closely with the CIA - with whom they have a love hate relationship.
Thanks a bundle for this - undersea warfare is the greatest threat to our civilisation, in my mind, as the internet depends on the cables under the sea. Imagine a world without email - or Goodreads LOL !

message 6: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Hi Samuel, hope you are well. My new book touches on Myanmar(Burma). The country was ruled by a military junta until recently. Now, they have all the unrest with the Rohingya region to the north. The interesting thing about Burma has always been that it provides a land link to mainland China. Do you know of any sources on the Burmese secret service, or its organisation?
Many thanks, Mick.

message 7: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Hi Samuel, hope you are well. My new book touches on Myanmar(Burma). The country was ruled by a military junta until recently. Now, they have all the unrest with the Rohingya region to the north. T..."

Well there is quite a bit of open source information. Most of the main intelligence gathering activities are run by (no surprises) military intelligence. Much of their intelligence community is divided into "umbrella" organizations that control a variety of distinct services.

http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl09...

message 8: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Samuel wrote: "Mick wrote: "Thanks a lot Samuel! Hope you get the time to read Hellfire, it's a quick and easy read.
There is something you might be able to help me with. The sequel of Hidden Agen..."

And perish the thought about a lack of goodreads ;)

message 9: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Hi Samuel, hope you are well. My new book touches on Myanmar(Burma). The country was ruled by a military junta until recently. Now, they have all the unrest with the Rohingya region to the north. T..."

Report two years ago by the Al Jazeera organization. It seems that the Burmese intelligence service has begun to take on the trappings of a deep state similar to Pakistan's nightmarishly competent ISI, provoking here and murdering there to shape the nation to its whims while remaining safe in the shadows.
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/feat...

message 10: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Samuel wrote: "Mick wrote: "Hi Samuel, hope you are well. My new book touches on Myanmar(Burma). The country was ruled by a military junta until recently. Now, they have all the unrest with the Rohingya region to..."

A most recent example of a targeted killing that was most likely conducted by the Myanmar Intelligence Community.
http://www.atimes.com/article/assassi...

message 11: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Thanks a lot Samuel. The article usefully breaks down the different government department. Writing this book means a lot to me as I have known some Burmese people personally. They are all uneasy about Chinese players in their country.
I hope you got a chance to read Hellfire by the way. If you want a free copy just let me know or subscribe at the website. Thanks Mick.

message 12: by Samuel , Director (last edited Feb 12, 2017 02:36PM) (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Thanks a lot Samuel. The article usefully breaks down the different government department. Writing this book means a lot to me as I have known some Burmese people personally. They are all uneasy ab..."

Copy that man.

Regarding the PRC, it's understandable why there is wariness. China has for a long time been the only significant investor in Myanmar and such a stake does mean it has relative freedom to take what it wants and not care about any concerns that the general population may have.

However, their military doesn't give a toss about the general Myanmar public's concerns. All they see are dollar signs and a investor that keeps quiet when they conduct human rights abuses.

In return, Myanmar provides a splendid market for PRC investment and combined with Laos and Cambodia, the latter being heavily Pro China, provides the PRC a excellent voting bloc which to use in disrupting any ASEAN group attempts to respond collectively in the South China Sea.

It's why Beijing panicked a little when the previous POTUS did a state visit to Myanmar. Felt the Yanks were rolling a proverbial tank on their lawn but with the recent transfer of power, that worry has subsided.

message 13: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Yes it's a very tricky situation.
The PRC are keen to get a solid base in Burma.
For oil as you know. China gets gas from Siberia already massive pipeline over 4000 km.
I think Burma will become a interesting place in the future.
It's one of the reasons the previous POTUS was down there to woo them.
We need them on our side!!

message 14: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Indeed it will, especially when the Rohyinga issue gets more coverage.

message 15: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments It is already!
This Buddhist Muslim problem has been there for centuries. Would you be surprised to know that CIA undercover agents are provoking the issue?
Unrest in Burma disrupts Chinese plans in the area....
Ok I made that up. But I'm a writer, right ? Lol
Seriously truth can be stranger than fiction sometimes.

message 16: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Hi Guys

Does anyone know where the National Clandestine Service (NCS) HQ is ? Supposedly in Langley, but I was wondering if anyone has more specific information.
Thanks
Mick.

message 17: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Hi Guys

Does anyone know where the National Clandestine Service (NCS) HQ is ? Supposedly in Langley, but I was wondering if anyone has more specific information.
Thanks
Mick."

Hi Mick, yes, the NCS are based in Langley, always have been and always will be. Most likely they're still located in the OHB (Old Headquarters Building) side of the George Bush Center Of Intelligence, not the NHB side (New Headquarters Building).
That's where most of the relevant director offices are, including the 7th floor where the DCI resides.

As for their specific location, befitting an intelligence service, they keep that bit under wraps. Either the 4th floors or one of the basement levels is the best approximate guess you'll get.

message 18: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Samuel wrote: "Mick wrote: "Hi Guys

Thanks
Mick."

Thanks Samuel! The Burma novel is now complete, and will soon see light of day.
Yrs
Mick

message 19: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Hi Guys,

The first full length novel is out - Hid..."

Hey man, I sent you something in the Private mail inbox.....can you check it out ;)

message 20: by Mick (new)

Mick Bose (mickbose) | 10 comments Of course Samuel. Thank you!

message 21: by Samuel , Director (new) - added it

Mick wrote: "Of course Samuel. Thank you!"

splendid. Just a request for review copies....further details in the message.