Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

2017 Archives > 2017 Timothy Bateson, Fantasy Author Showcase

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Feb 03, 2017 01:19PM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod

Timothy Bateson

Under A Hunter's Moon
(Shadows Over Seattle: Prequel 1)

Richard Parsons is a lupine, one of the many breeds of shape-shifters living in Seattle. Mortal legends of his kind call them werewolves.
When a traveling exhibition returns to Seattle, Richard takes a night time visit, with plans that go beyond seeing a particular display. However he is unprepared for the memories and emotions that come flooding back.
"Under A Hunter's Moon" is the first of the "Shadows Over Seattle: Prequel" series, giving readers a chance to meet the characters who will be appearing in the main series. Every story is a snapshot of an event in that character's past, and can be read as a standalone short story, or as part of the series.
At 4,200 words in length, "Under A Hunter's Moon" is a quick, easy, read that introduces readers to the "Shadows Over Seattle" setting.

message 2: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments I'm going to let you in on a little secret.
Even though "Under A Hunter's Moon" was first released in October 2014 (in a Halloween anthology collection), I had never visited the city of Seattle, or Cougar Mountain until February 2017.
Until this year, my experience of Seattle had consisted of SEATAC airport and Google Maps, so I created the museum that Richard visits from scratch, along with several other locations that appear in the Shadows Over Seattle series.

message 3: by Timothy (last edited Apr 05, 2017 08:00PM) (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments I'm taking part in many events over the course of the B2BCyCon weekend. Here's a few of the places you can find me:
I'm one of the authors being featured in the "Book Dreams: Volume 1" anthology, coming from Brain to Books. "April Fool: Shadows Over Seattle #0.5" will be exclusive to his collection.
Ever wondered what it sounded like when an author recorded the opening chapter of his own book? Watch me read the first chapter of "Under A Hunter's Moon: Shadows Over Seattle (Prequel #1)", then pick up your copy from Amazon.
There is also a very good chance that I'll be dropping in on Joe Compton, over at the GoIndieNow podcast.
I'm also all keyed up, because I'm running several of the Fantasy Genre events for the B2BCyCon. Check here to find out what's going on across the Fantasy Genre.

message 4: by Timothy (last edited Apr 07, 2017 01:35PM) (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments Since I started out as a short story writer, I thought I'd let you have a handy reference of all the anthologies I've been featured in (click the covers to find out more about each book, and where to buy them):

Moon Shadows by Veronica Moore - "Under A Hunter's Moon" (story re-released in June 2016, as "Under A Hunter's Moon: Shadows Over Seattle (Prequel 1)"
Across the Karman Line by Veronica Moore - "Evaline Transcendent" (my first sci-fi story)
Spooky Halloween Drabbles 2014 by Roy C. Booth - "Shifting Dreams" (my first flash-fiction story)
Book Dreams (Brain to Books Anthology 1) by Angela B. Chrysler - "April Fools:Shadows Over Seattle (Prequel #0.5)"

message 5: by Timothy (last edited Apr 05, 2017 08:08PM) (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments Get a sneak peek at some of the things that went into creating the Shadows Over Seattle series.
Here's the Racial Genealogy chart (click to learn more):

message 6: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments EVENT: Fantasy First Lines Scavenger Hunt
"You are one of the brave few who answered the call of the mayor. You arrive just in time for a meeting to brief everyone on the severity of the situation, and the importance of prompt action.
"Buried deep in the bowels of the mountain, the beast is stirring, and only you have proved brave enough to answer my call for help. There are many tunnels that lead to the beast's lair, but only the correct choices will lead you to the weapons that can send the creature back into a torpor, for I fear it can never be truly defeated".
He shifts nervously, looking over the assembled crowd of would-be heroes, not knowing their faces or the deeds that have brought them here. Dare he rest his town's safety to this rag-tag group? Will they band together to complete the task ahead, or will some be foolish enough to try braving the beast alone? Time will tell...
Death awaits the unwary, so don't be afraid to scout ahead, so that you may select the path most likely to lead you to the dragon's horde.
Meanwhile, the town prepares to evacuate, should the beast awake."

Take Part Here

Prizes Include: Audio Books (2), Physical/E-Books (10), $10 Amazon Cards (2), Virtual Swag Bag (1)
Prizes to be divided as follows:
* The Grand Prize winner will receive the books and swag bag.
* Two second prize winners will receive a $10 Amazon Card each.

message 7: by Ilana (new)

Ilana Maletz | 25 comments Hi Timothy, just stopping in to say hi. I wasn't able to be on-line much today. How did day one go for you? I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm on the fairgrounds tomorrow :)

message 8: by Timothy (last edited Apr 08, 2017 12:11AM) (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments It was really cool, had a few hits on the Scavenger Hunt, sat in on Joe Live, ran my first ever discussion panel, and fixed some broken links.
The first of the fantasy panels was a real blast... Actually, anyone who wants to watch can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id...

message 9: by Lyra (last edited Apr 08, 2017 12:17AM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 57 comments I love werewolves AND Seattle! I grew up in Bellingham, Wa and have been to Seattle a few times. Such a great mix of city and nature. What did you think when you went there? Was it what you'd imagined for your book?
I too am having to write blind with the the next series I'm doing. I've never been to the Isle of Man, but that's where I'm dead set on it taking place!

I'm now gonna check out your book! :)

message 10: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments I loved it. We hit the city, but stayed in Bellevue, and hit up Snoqualmie, Treehouse Point and Cougar Mountain. It was an awesome trip that allowed us to get the best of the city, but still enjoy the slower pace of being in some amazing countryside.
I grew up just outside London, so I'm used to the mix of urban and countryside living, but there was a beauty to the wilderness that I fell in love with.
In terms of things being how I imagined, the only real shock I got was finding out some routes were uphill rather than downhill. So I had to change the context of one of my chase scenes in the upcoming novel ("Of Wolves and Men"). What really freaked my wife out, was the fact that I knew large chunks of the city layout and where certain roads went and could point out buildings from our stories... All from wandering around on Google Maps.
I've also never been to the Isle of Man, but research is very definitely going to be your friend.

And I honestly hope you enjoy "Under A Hunter's Moon", it's one of many backstories that desperately wanted to be told while I was writing my first draft of "Of Wolves and Men"

message 11: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Bateson (timothybateson) | 27 comments Thanks Joshua, it's always a lot of fun catching friends, and Joe Live is a great way to do it.
You going to be joining us for the Fantasy Panels today & tomorrow?
8th April - 3pm - Were-Creatures: Shifters vs Monsters
9th April - 3pm - Real Vampires Don't Sparkle
The links will be posted about an hour before hand