Brain to Books Cyber Convention (FAIRGROUNDS) discussion

Devorah Fox
This topic is about Devorah Fox
2017 Archives > 2017 Devorah Fox, Thriller/Mystery Author Showcase

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.F. (last edited Feb 03, 2017 12:31PM) (new)

A.F. (scribe77) | 369 comments Mod

Devorah Fox

Devorah Fox

The Zen Detective

On the road to Zen enlightenment, homicide detective Will Mansion takes a seductive detour down the path to perdition.
When a bust goes terribly wrong, Paradise City detective Will Mansion nearly dies while saving his partner. On leave, Will seeks relief from post-traumatic stress disorder through Zen meditation and abstinence. He responds to the plea of the cryptic Sister Clyde to find a man missing from her soup kitchen, a man who may provide a lead to the vicious drug dealer who nearly killed Will. The search seduces Will away from the healing he seeks and he finds himself on the smarmy Miracle Mile. Alcohol, sex, and the potent drug “Nearvana” numb Will’s pain better than his infant Zen practice. He slips further and further into an underworld of the lost and hopeless only to find himself facing death—again.

message 2: by Devorah (last edited Apr 06, 2017 08:35AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a missing man with the search for personal enlightenment.

You'll get to know Detective Will Mansion intimately, as well as the quirky characters who populate his world, from a pole dancer, to a tattoo artist, to drug runners and strongmen.

The Zen Detective was named a Finalist in the Golden Books Award Contest, 2017.

message 3: by Devorah (last edited Apr 06, 2017 08:36AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments One reviewer suggested that The Zen Detective may just be the entrée you need to explore my other works which include Mystery Minis.

Longer than a short story, Mystery Minis are just the right length to entertain you when you're stuck somewhere, like waiting for a plane or for your car to be serviced.
Murder by the Book by Devorah Fox Murder by the Book One Bad Apple by Devorah Fox One Bad Apple

message 4: by Devorah (last edited Apr 06, 2017 08:37AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments I've written Thriller as well as Mystery books.
Detour by Devorah Fox Detour Naked Came the Sharks by Jed Donellie Naked Came the Sharks

At a writers' convention someone asked "What's the difference between a mystery and a thriller" and some wit replied, "A $700,000 advance." As I understand it, though, a Mystery starts with a crime that's been committed and the story is about finding the perpetrator and solving the crime. In a Thriller, the main character is in peril and has to find the perpetrator in order to save his or her own skin.

message 5: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments My literary historical Fantasy series, The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, has won awards and ranked with best sellers.
Book One The Lost King (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, #1) by Devorah Fox The Lost King Book Two The King's Ransom (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, #2) by Devorah Fox The King's Ransom
Book Three The King's Redress (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, #3) by Devorah Fox The King's Redress Book Four The Redoubt (The Bewildering Adventures of King Bewilliam, #4) by Devorah Fox The Redoubt

and you might enjoy my short stories in these Fantasy/Science Fiction anthologies.
Masters of Time A Science Fiction and Fantasy Time Travel Anthology by Charmaine M. Young Masters of Time: A Science Fiction and Fantasy Time Travel Anthology Magic Unveiled An Anthology by Alesha Escobar Magic Unveiled: An Anthology

message 6: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 29 comments Devorah wrote: "I've written Thriller as well as Mystery books.
At a writers' convention someone asked "What's the difference between a mystery and a thriller" … a Mystery starts with a crime that's been committed and the story is about finding the perpetrator and solving the crime. In a Thriller, the main character is in peril and has to find the perpetrator in order to save his or her own skin."

Thank you for the clarification!

message 7: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments

message 8: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 29 comments Devorah:
Having defined Mystery and Thriller, where does that leave Suspense?

message 9: by Devorah (last edited Mar 22, 2017 11:16AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Wordwizard wrote: "Devorah:
Having defined Mystery and Thriller, where does that leave Suspense?"

Good question. I found this helpful: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/is-yo...
So basically, Suspense is similar to Thriller except for the timing of the threat and the protagonist's awareness of it. That makes sense.
I had to chuckle because this article's author also referenced the difference in the amount of the advance for the different genres. It must be true!

message 10: by Wordwizard (new)

Wordwizard (wordwizardw) | 29 comments "Say you’ve written a book that falls into all three genres. How do you decide between mystery/suspense and mystery/thriller?

Blogger Lyn Hamilton says that when she’s asked the difference between “suspense” and “thriller,” her usual answer is “a hundred thousand dollars.”

I don’t know if a thriller really does bring a higher advance than a suspense novel, but, just in case, I’d go with mystery/thriller."

It's not clear from Lyn Hamilton's ambiguous answer that it's 'thriller' that gets more. Is that your experience?

message 11: by Devorah (last edited Mar 24, 2017 09:38AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Wordwizard wrote: ""Say you’ve written a book that falls into all three genres. How do you decide between mystery/suspense and mystery/thriller?

Blogger Lyn Hamilton says that when she’s asked the difference between..."

I can't speak from my experience. However, you can usually pick two so choose both.

message 12: by Devorah (last edited Apr 02, 2017 09:42AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments The Zen Detective by Devorah Fox Want a taste of The Zen Detective? Karina Kantas reads an excerpt here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Drr...

message 13: by Devorah (last edited Apr 07, 2017 07:34AM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Haikus capture the struggle of Will Mansion's inner and outer investigations, so each chapter begins with one of these Japanese-style verses.

message 14: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Josephine wrote: "Devorah wrote: "One reviewer suggested that The Zen Detective may just be the entrée you need to explore my other works which include Mystery Minis.

Longer than a short story, Mys..."

As a reader, I'm developing a new appreciation for shorter works. There are many occasions when I want to read something for entertainment but don't want to get invested in a longer work.

message 15: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments I wrote The Zen Detective at a time when I myself was engaged in spiritual exploration, looking answers to the big questions. Perhaps that's why Will Mansion's story is told in the first person, present tense. Writing it, being in his head and his heart moment by moment, was a profound experience. It's not one that I'm certain I can repeat although I have ideas for two more Zen Detective stories.

message 16: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Detour is also in many ways a "personal" book. Oh, I guess all our books are personal to a greater or lesser degree. However, this one was inspired by an event that I lived through during a family visit. Though the book is fiction, the action revolves around something that actually happened: then-President Bill Clinton's February, 1993, visit to Hyde Park, New York in the mid-Hudson Valley. It was such a momentous occasion that I started writing "Detour" as soon as I arrived home.
Have you had a brush with celebrity? Do tell.

message 17: by A.F. (new)

Just popping in to say hi, Devorah. The Zen Detective is definitely on my to-read list.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Woldering | 56 comments Devorah wrote: "Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a missing man with the search for personal enlightenment.

You'..."

I'm reading and enjoying this book right now!

message 19: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a missing man with the search for personal enlig..."

Thanks, Mary. I'll be interested to hear any comments that you may have.

message 20: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments A.F. wrote: "Just popping in to say hi, Devorah. The Zen Detective is definitely on my to-read list."

Thanks. I hope you're enjoying B2BCYCON. We've had an Internet outage until just this moment. It's hard to attend an online convention without it!

message 21: by A.F. (new)

Devorah wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Just popping in to say hi, Devorah. The Zen Detective is definitely on my to-read list."

Thanks. I hope you're enjoying B2BCYCON. We've had an Internet outage until just this moment. ..."

Ouch! It seems tech issues abound this weekend. I was having audio problems with my Joe Live segments. I'm attempting to go on with the tablet today for the Batman vs. Iron Man panel.

message 22: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments A.F. wrote: "Devorah wrote: "A.F. wrote: "Just popping in to say hi, Devorah. The Zen Detective is definitely on my to-read list."

Thanks. I hope you're enjoying B2BCYCON. We've had an Internet outage until ju..."

The techno-devils always strike at the worst times. I've had my idiosyncratic irreplaceable keyboard go kerflewy during National Novel Writing Month.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Woldering | 56 comments Devorah wrote: "Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a missing man with the search for p..."

I always review what I read, so you'll not only get comments, you'll get a review!

message 24: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a missing man with ..."

I know that you know helpful reviews are. I hope you're enjoying the convention.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary Woldering | 56 comments Devorah wrote: "Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "Welcome. I'm so pleased to have a chance to introduce you to The Zen Detective, a mystery that blends the search for a miss..."

Ended up being too busy and unable to log on to Joe, so meh... but I learn something new each year. Maybe by the time I'm 80 years old I'll know what I'm doing.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Woldering | 56 comments Devorah wrote: "I wrote The Zen Detective at a time when I myself was engaged in spiritual exploration, looking answers to the big questions. Perhaps that's why Will Mansion's story is told in the ..."

First person is extremely hard for me to get into. You have done a good job so far. Usually I go "Oh darn, a first person ... not this one"

message 27: by Devorah (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "I wrote The Zen Detective at a time when I myself was engaged in spiritual exploration, looking answers to the big questions. Perhaps that's why Will Mansion's story..."

The Muse will be glad to hear that. First person wasn't my first choice. It was how the story wanted to be told.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary Woldering | 56 comments Devorah wrote: "Mary wrote: "Devorah wrote: "I wrote The Zen Detective at a time when I myself was engaged in spiritual exploration, looking answers to the big questions. Perhaps that's why Will Ma..."

I've never tried it. Not present tense. I'm doing a shorter piece with first narrative. I am intrigued by your muse

message 29: by Devorah (last edited Apr 11, 2017 02:56PM) (new)

Devorah Fox (devorahfox) | 40 comments First person present tense was a real writing challenge. Clearly there's no way for the reader to know anything that Will Mansion doesn't know.