What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book, teenage girl living poor farm life

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhichi (last edited Feb 03, 2017 04:54PM) (new)

Rhichi | 3 comments Alright book friends, stuck looking for the title of a book I read back in middle school. Here's what I remember:
It's about a teenage girl who lives on a poor farm in Kansas or Iowa or something

Her mom gets pregnant early on in the book, which is rough on the family because money (and also I think she was older by that point)

She has a rich friend whose mom takes her shopping for a dress to wear to the school dance

She gets her second period in the dressing room of the mall while dress shopping

I think her mom is upset that she got the dress because of insecurity

Her mom at one point is wearing overalls and I believe trying to paint the nursery

After the dance, she and her dad go on the roof and look at the stars, which is a meaningful emotional moment because they used to do it when she was little or something

After that scene, something spoilery happens with the dad (I won't share it, but if you know the book, you'll know what I'm talking about)

The cover of the book had a barnhouse and a moon

message 2: by Rhichi (new)

Rhichi | 3 comments People have guessed the following, but it's not:
Out of the Dust
Esperanza Rising
Plainsong

message 4: by Rhichi (new)

Rhichi | 3 comments Elizabeth♛ Everyone Else Has a Super Long Name With a Symbol So I Might as Well Do it Too♛ wrote: "Orphan Train"

Sadly no, but I think she's around the right age for that book.

message 5: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1042 comments Do you recall if the author was male or female?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37356 comments Mod
Rhichi, are you still looking for this or did you find it?