CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2017 Mini-Challenges > February Take It or Leave It

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (last edited Feb 05, 2017 10:15AM) (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
Is it February already? Wow, time has flown by so quickly. I’m 9 books in and only managed to get in one Take It or Leave It challenge last month. Many of you have been busy also and it seems our Take It or Leave It Mini Challenge is a hit so far. If this is your first month with us, welcome!

For instructions on how to play for EPIC BRAGGING RIGHTS see our Take It or Leave It Mini Challenge Introduction.

This month’s challenges are:

1. “All the great ones leave their mark. We’re the Wet Bandits!” Home Alone– Read a mystery were a character leaves a calling card.

2. You Devil! – Read a book with the word devil in the title, Devil as the author’s name, or that features a devil or the devil.

3. I love cake! – Read a book whose title contains all the letters found in the word cake but not the actual word cake.

4. You’re the one that I want! – Read a book whose author has the same name as your significant other or crush.

5. The book I’m looking for is red. – Read a book with a red spine.

6. When the cat’s away… - Read a book that features the word mouse in the title, as a character or name of a character, or as part of the plot.

7. Commander and Chief – Read a fiction book with a character who shares a first or last name with the current or a past president of the United States of America. (Double points if the name is both the first and last name of a president.)

In order to get points toward bragging rights and notoriety - post your completed challenges and books by March 3, 2017.

message 2: by J (last edited Feb 05, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

EPIC BRAGGING RIGHTS
Forgive me - I'm still trying to figure this ticker thing out... Names aren't really showing up correctly...

message 3: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments I think I actually finished 2 in January

message 4: by J (new)

I will fix the tickers - I also have a couple from the last thread to add.

Anybody working on a challenge this week?

message 5: by Kayzee (last edited Feb 14, 2017 10:04AM) (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments Jennifer wrote: "I will fix the tickers - I also have a couple from the last thread to add.

Anybody working on a challenge this week?"

Now that I have finally finished a book I started last month, I can focus on the February challenges. So far:

3. I love Cake!: Josie and Jack by Kelly Braffet
5. Red: The Art of War by Sun Tzu and Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare (I bought these editions and Barnes & Noble that are completely red & gold and really pretty).

[image error]
Josie and Jack

message 6: by Lyn (new)

Lyn | 46 comments 3 I love cake...Little Black Dress by James Patterson and Emily Raymond

message 7: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments Kayzee wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I will fix the tickers - I also have a couple from the last thread to add.

Anybody working on a challenge this week?"

Now that I have finally finished a book I started last month..."

Finished The Art of War and Romeo and Juliet so that's one down.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 439 comments So far I've finished:
1) A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas (Victorian England- everybody left calling cards).
3) I've been trying to get cake out of the titles I've read. no cake, but I did get echidna. :)
5) a red book- Murder in Whitehall by Amanda Carmack (awesome series).
7) Commander and Chief- Trump- there was a character with the last name Trump in A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourne (I think, I read three books by two authors that weekend, but I think it was hers).

message 9: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments So I was able to accomplish three this month:

1. A Calling Card: The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie
3. I Love Cake!: Josie and Jack by Kelly Braffet
5. Red: Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare and The Art of War by Sun Tzu

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 58 comments Here is my list for the February Challenge. I was so excited to find one to fit both names for the Commander in Chief!

1. “All the great ones leave their mark. We’re the Wet Bandits!” Home Alone– Read a mystery were a character leaves a calling card. Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay #2

2. You Devil! – Read a book with the word devil in the title, Devil as the author’s name, or that features a devil or the devil. Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones

3. I love cake! – Read a book whose title contains all the letters found in the word cake but not the actual word cake. The Book of Magic by Neil Gaiman

4. You’re the one that I want! – Read a book whose author has the same name as your significant other or crush. How to Tell if Your Cat is Planning to Kill You by Matthew Inman

5. The book I’m looking for is red. – Read a book with a red spine. Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay #3

6. When the cat’s away… - Read a book that features the word mouse in the title, as a character or name of a character, or as part of the plot. Alice in Wonderland by Geronimo Stilton

7. Commander and Chief – Read a fiction book with a character whose shares a first or last name with the current or a past president of the United States of America. (Double points if the name is both the first and last name of a president.) Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders: main character was Abraham Lincoln, it was a fictional account of when ghosts visited him when his son Willie died during the Civil War

I've finished all but Dexter in the Dark, but I'll be finished before the end of the day.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 439 comments Ann wrote: "So far I've finished:
1) A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas (Victorian England- everybody left calling cards).
3) I've been trying to get cake out of the titles I've read. no cake, but I did..."

I got cake! I finished The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig, so I got three.

message 12: by Kayzee (new)

Kayzee | 61 comments Are there gonna be any Take It or Leave It challenges for March?

message 13: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments These challenges are harder than I thought.

message 14: by J (new)

Hi guys,

I will post the Take It or Leave It Challenge for March asap. I plan on it being posted no later than March 9, 2017. Please reply with your February Challenges so that I can update the Epic Bragging Rights.

- Jennifer

message 15: by Angela (new)

Angela | 5 comments Hi Group - late to notify but managed to get through one mini challenge book last month - Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulkner. Never read a James Bond book before, and while not by the original Bond author, it was pretty good. Heading into March mini challenge but this starting work thing is making it a little harder!