LS Healthy Reads Book Club discussion

How to Hygge > Favorite Quotes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hoku (new)

Hoku Krueger | 51 comments Mod
What are your favorite quotes from How to Hygge? Which passages felt relatable, made you think or changed your perspective? Share and discuss!

message 2: by Hoku (new)

“’Effort is a choice’ says a motivational billboard at my local YMCA. Anthropologists like to talk about ‘agency’ and how, as social agents, we humans exercise that agency, so in the case of fitness and outdoor pursuits here’s the How to Hygge philosophy: You choose to be active, you choose to go outside, you choose to make the most of your body," (44). I wanted to highlight this passage because I love the idea of taking agency when it comes to self-care. It's interesting to think of things like exercise and healthy eating not as things you HAVE to do, but as things you're choosing to do to feel good.

message 3: by Hoku (last edited Feb 14, 2017 09:40AM) (new)

On 'clean' desserts: “Whatever you do, steer clear of those horrible so-called ‘healthy’ treats that value virtue over flavor. There’s a reason why great cooks don’t consider the sweet potato a stellar baking ingredient. If you’re going to eat a muffin, eat the best possible muffin made with decent baking ingredients, and give the ‘clean-eating’ alternatives a wide berth. There is simply no hygge to be found in a flavorless mush comprising chia seeds, dates and avocado," (22). As someone who's currently obsessed with black bean brownies (give them a try before you roll your eyes!), I have to say that for once I'm not super keen on Signe's advice here to ditch 'clean' treats. Thoughts?

message 4: by Loris (new)

Loris Simcik | 3 comments I honestly think there is room for both. Once a month on Sunday I bake some lovely dessert full of chocolate, sugar, butter, white flour, cream, whatever I am in the mood for. I enjoy and savor this treat for what it is - my once a month confection or pastry. It is baked with real ingredients your grandmother would recognize but doubt anyone would accuse it of being "healthy".However, there is also something immensely satisfying to making a yummy batch of black bean brownies (my go to is Skinnytaste's recipe using brown sugar) or a chocolate pudding made with avocado and sweetened with blueberry puree. To me they are delicious in their own right. I would never make anything that I would eat just because it was "good for me." If you feel the need to introduce a food as "this is healthy" as an apology for the food, don't serve it. So I believe she is right about treats" that value virtue over flavor." Perhaps Signe just hasn't had coconut milk chia pudding with ripe mango slices yet?

message 5: by Hoku (new)

Loris wrote: "I honestly think there is room for both. Once a month on Sunday I bake some lovely dessert full of chocolate, sugar, butter, white flour, cream, whatever I am in the mood for. I enjoy and savor thi..."
Hahaha chia pudding is the best (especially with coconut whipped cream)! Loris I totally agree with your response and practice pretty similar habits - indulging once in a while in baked treats (like the cheesecake brownies I had for Valentine's Day last night), but also feeling quite satisfied when I can incorporate some clean ingredients as well. I've been dying to try (that I haven't yet makes me such a rookie) ice cream made with bananas or persimmons. Where can I find your avocado chocolate pudding recipe??

message 6: by Loris (new)

Loris Simcik | 3 comments It's in Dr. Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. I can't find the recipe itself online. It uses a very small amount of honey - 1/2 tsp, getting it's sweetness from the 1/2 of pureed blueberries. You can taste the blueberries notes in the chocolate pudding which I actually really love.

message 7: by Hoku (new)

Loris wrote: "It's in Dr. Mark Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution Cookbook. I can't find the recipe itself online. It uses a very small amount of honey - 1/2 tsp, getting it's sweetness from the 1/2 of pureed blueberr..."
That's amazing - I'll have to find a copy of the book. Thank you!!

message 8: by Hoku (new)

“Watching someone else cook and absorbing heir knowledge through practice is invaluable experience, and I’ll be the first to admit it’s hard to achieve the same from reading a recipe book, even a great recipe book,” (57). I really like this quote because it totally rings true for me. Growing up I spent a lottttt of time watching my mom cook and I think that that experience has definitely inclined me toward cooking, given me the ability to troubleshoot problems and taught me how to make a lot of basic things (hamburgers, soup, roux, etc.). I like that, instead of just providing some yummy recipes, Signe looks at food through a cultural lens.