Reading RURD -- Muslim & American discussion

Schedule

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (last edited Feb 03, 2017 08:01AM) (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments Suggested schedule. No obligations to hold to it. But personally I've already got a huge stack of cr'ing so I'll probably be dosing things out pretty close to what is below. Besides, the purpose here is for our own discussion, more so than ticking through RURD. I do hope we find some wider understanding of the world and our role in it by reading these pieces from Bill's reporting.

Week 1 :: Feb 12-18
Introduction--The Muslim World
Let Me Know If You're Scared (Somalia)
Introduction--North America
Laughing at All Her Enemies (USA)

Week 2 :: Feb 19-25
The Old Man (Malaysia)
You Gotta Be a Hundred Percent Right (USA)

Week 3 :: Feb 26-Mar 4
The Wet Man Is Not Afraid Of Rain (Iraq)
Whack 'Em and Stack 'Em! (USA)

Week 4 :: Mar 5-11
With Their Hands On Their Hearts (Afghanistan)
Dey Bring Dem Bloodstain Up Here (Jamaica)

Week 5 :: Mar 12-18
Everybody Likes Americans (Yemen)
Murder for Sale (USA)
Guns in the USA

Week 6 :: Mar 19-25
Introduction--Perception & Irrationality
Nightmares, Prayers, and Ecstasies (USA)
Off the Grid (USA)

message 2: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 1 comments Thanks so much for putting this together, Nathan. You are the heart and soul of our little corner of goodreads.

message 3: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments Geoff wrote: "Thanks so much for putting this together, Nathan. You are the heart and soul of our little corner of goodreads."

Hey wait! This ain't done yet! Get out get out!!

Nah, I'm just pulling your leg. Just a few more things to tidy UP and we'll be getting waaaay DOWN with this biz.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 2 comments Geoff wrote: "Thanks so much for putting this together, Nathan. You are the heart and soul of our little corner of goodreads."

Seconded "heart and soul". Many thanks for making this possible.

message 5: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments Suggested Schedule posted up there in the first comment.

message 6: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments ah shucks, guys.

message 7: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Wolfe (trwolfe) | 1 comments I'd third the heart and soul comment, but it's getting too sweet for me.

message 8: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments T.R. wrote: "I'd third the heart and soul comment, but it's getting too sweet for me."

I suggest we take all that heart and soul into the kitchen and make us up some sweetbreads or something tasty.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian | 2 comments I am very, very late to the table, but I'm elated to be here and am beginning Volume 6 today.

Thanks again N.R. for putting this together (and everyone else for the excellent commentary).

message 10: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 44 comments No worries. The schedule is provisional. I think I'm a week behind at the moment. And there are a few essays I've scheduled which are a bit tangential to the general drift of this reading--the one from Jamaica and the one about the Guardian Angels. I think I'll be reading week 3 some time this weekend.

message 11: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Weber | 16 comments Well, even if some of us (myself) do not stick to the schedule, at least this is here for us to read and discuss this topic. I may be very late to reading these, but then perhaps others will be too, and the conversation can and will drag on for years. All the better!