The Immortal Poets Society discussion

Please Introduce Yourselves

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Moran | 95 comments Mod
Welcome to The Immortal Poet's Society. If I could sum up the focus of this group in one line, I would say that our goal is to read and discuss poetry which has stood the test of time.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Please introduce yourselves on this thread.

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) Greetings. My name is Natalie and I love reading poetry from Chaucer up to some poetry of the present day. Just a few of my "greatest hits" are Shakespeare, Donne, the 6 main romantics, most of the Victorians, Eliot, Frost, Wallace Stevens, Philip Larkin, Elizabeth Bishop and some of today's formal poets. I don't much like the Beats or Bukowski and I don't like the language poets of today.

message 4: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 4 comments My poetry interests are pretty much the same as Natalie's, at least up to 1900. Her appreciation for "some poetry" of the present day for me is "very little poetry of the present day. I do have access to a very large library of modern poetry -- my mother in law who lived with us for the last 15 or so years of her live loved modern poetry, and built quite a large collection of modern poets. She never managed to interest me much in them, and I never manged to interest her in Wordsworth, Keats, or Shelley. But the books are still there in what was her mother-in-law apartment in case I suddenly get a brain storm and want to read them.

A slight quibble, from my English teacher days, with the title of the group: as it reads, it technically means the society of one immortal poet. I think what you really meant was The Immortal Poets Society, without the apostrophe. I don't know whether you can change a group's title, or whether it matters at all, or whether you prefer it as it is and grammar be da**ed, but my inner proofreader clawed its way up from submission even after many years away from the classroom.

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tyler (doulton) Everyman, I agree that we have no living poets of great stature. I do like Auden, Larkin, and some of the work of Heaney. I do support some poets who are trying to make a contribution that is original. Sometimes somebody such as Louise Gluck or Andrew Motion or Derek Mahon writes a nice poem.

I do look at many of today's poems as I might look at a sketch or a cartoon at an art museum but not as a fully achieved canvas, if you can accept the analogy.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Welcome Eman and Natalie, I will see what I can do about title. Wouldn't most poets say, "Grammar be da###d." Oh well, not me.

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 4 comments Natalie wrote: "Everyman, I agree that we have no living poets of great stature. I do like Auden, Larkin, and some of the work of Heaney.."

I'm quite fond of some of the work of e.e.cumming, particularly "if everything happens that can't be done..."

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthas48) Hello, or as they say where I'm originally from 'Hey there, y'all!' I'm a retired wife, mother & grandmother. I read all types of genres, but haven't read much poetry for years. I hope to change that. I live in central Illinois and spend a good part of my time accompanying my husband & son to doctor appointments. I have a few myself, but not as many.

message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Martha wrote: "Hello, or as they say where I'm originally from 'Hey there, y'all!' I'm a retired wife, mother & grandmother. I read all types of genres, but haven't read much poetry for years. I hope to change th..."

Welcome, Martha. I am your neighbor in the great state of Indiana. I have family in Benton and Sesser, IL so I pass by central, IL a couple times each year.

message 10: by Samuel (new)

Samuel Jeng | 2 comments Hello guys! I'm Samuel and I only started to shift the focus of my reading from novels to poetry a bit, so my taste may differ from many of you. I like John Keats, William Butler Yeats, P.B. Shelley, Ella Wheeler Wilcox, Margaret Atwood and more. Now I plan to start reading The Iliad and maybe try some Paradise Lost, but both seem somewhat daunting... Also I like some works by Li QingZhao and Su Shi very much, though they are deemed an independent category from poetry in Chinese Literature.

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Loretta wrote: "I can't wait to get started and to meet you all in the discussion threads! Happy reading everyone! :) "

Hello, Loretta. I am happy to welcome you. We are just getting started here and I hope we can keep growing at such a great pace. In the future, I would like to do some scheduled group reads and discussions. For now, our featured poet for February is John Donne. But, I have been posting other poets and poems as they are suggested, so feel free to look around and join in on any of these threads.

message 12: by Anouska (last edited Feb 12, 2017 03:15AM) (new)

Anouska (anouskalovestoread) All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
We loved with a love that was more than love.
Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.
The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.
I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.

Edgar Allan Poe

message 13: by Anouska (new)

Anouska (anouskalovestoread) One of my favourites. The Twa Dogs - A Tale by Robert Burns 1786
Only the first 4 verses! for anyone who's never read Burns I would definitely recommend starting now. If they're are any other Burns fans out there then I vote we chat about the works of Robert Burns

Twas in that place o' Scotland's isle,
That bears the name o' auld King Coil,
Upon a bonie day in June,
When wearin' thro' the afternoon,
Twa dogs, that were na thrang at hame,
Forgather'd ance upon a time.

The first I'll name, they ca'd him Caesar,
Was keepit for His Honor's pleasure:
His hair, his size, his mouth, his lugs,
Shew'd he was nane o' Scotland's dogs;
But whalpit some place far abroad,
Whare sailors gang to fish for cod.

His locked, letter'd, braw brass collar
Shew'd him the gentleman an' scholar;
But though he was o' high degree,
The fient a pride, nae pride had he;
But wad hae spent an hour caressin,
Ev'n wi' al tinkler-gipsy's messin:
At kirk or market, mill or smiddie,
Nae tawted tyke, tho' e'er sae duddie,
But he wad stan't, as glad to see him,
An' stroan't on stanes an' hillocks wi' him.

The tither was a ploughman's collie-
A rhyming, ranting, raving billie,
Wha for his friend an' comrade had him,
And in freak had Luath ca'd him,
After some dog in Highland Sang,^2
Was made lang syne,-Lord knows how lang.

message 14: by Anouska (new)

Anouska (anouskalovestoread) Address to a Haggis = Robert Burns 1786

Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

message 15: by Anouska (new)

Anouska (anouskalovestoread) Please come and join us and invite all your friends - we need more members!

We're a new club and need you all too come and get involved!

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Loretta wrote: "So, at this point are we reading anything we want by John Donne? I've seen a few poems posted by this author on the threads along with other poems by other authors. Are we suppose to read what poems are being posted and then add our insight? Are we suppose to post a poem that we like for discussion?"

This month's featured poet is John Donne. So, the poems I posted by him are a "group read" so to speak. If you have a favorite by John Donne, then please feel free to post it in that folder. Or, if you tell me the name, I will post it for you, either way.

As for other poets, I posted some recommendations that were listed here, but that has not drawn as much attention. As a matter a fact, those who have made recommendations have not been participating in those discussions. If you go to the "Current Events" thread, this is where we discuss future Group Reads and future poets. I would like everyone to nominate a Major Poet, Minor Poet, and Epic Poem for March in that thread. We will then vote on those nominations as a group to choose what to do for March.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Loretta wrote: "Thank you Jonathan for answering my questions. I'm going to think about the nominations for March. It's all very exciting to me! :) "

Honestly, I am very excited about this group as well.

Master Melvin M.  Lusterio (aionheaven) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Melvyn, I like reading poems & I'm also a poet, nice group we have here, thanks for sharing!

message 19: by Anouska (new)

Anouska (anouskalovestoread) Hi I'm Anouska and a big fan of Robert Burns. I also have a new book club on Goodreads that you should check out

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

So come and join us and don't forget to invite all your friends

message 20: by ZmgCLA (new)

ZmgCLA | 2 comments Hi, I'm a student that doesn't read a lot of poetry except what's assigned; all the stuff I read is politics/gov related because I'm a debate kid. I'm mostly here to stalk the forum because poetry's pretty cool. Stuff I've read over the last two years includes Shakespeare (Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet), the Odyssey (I get war flashbacks lol), and I like some Thomas Hardy. Sorry if some of my comments come off as basic.

message 21: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Mester | 6 comments Hey guys,

Ben here. I mostly love the American poets -- Longfellow, Teasdale, Frost, etc.. Been really enjoying some selected work of William Cullen Bryant. I didn't like it at first, but really grew on me as I kept at it. WB Yeats is another favorite.

message 22: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (tiffanylishan) | 1 comments Hello, I'm Tiffany. I have grown to love poetry while doing BA English. John Donne is one of my favourites. I love American poets too. Langston Hughes is one who has touched me a lot. Of course, not to forget Dickinson and Plath ;)

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Vickers | 1 comments My name is Mark and am currently reading a lot of John Donne and ee cummings (more similar than you might expect). I'm interested in chatting about some of the great poems, if that's anyone else's idea of fun.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Donovan (ashbanash) | 4 comments Hey guys,

My name is Ashley. I would.love some recommendations on good poems! I am a fan of Frost, Robert Burns, Edgar Allen Poe, William Shakespeare, etc. I'm all over the place in genre. Cant wait to hear from everyone 😊