Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Amazon vs Audible ASIN

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Hey everyone, quick question:

If the same audible edition of a work has a different ASIN for Amazon and for Audible, do we keep records for both or just one?

Illustrative example: Amazon - Audible

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42488 comments Mod
We don't usually bother to add both, but there's no reason to delete them if both are already here.

message 3: by Tal (new)

Tal (taliesien) The fact that they have unique identifiers make them separate editions, not the same. Of the several hundred audible editions I've worked with none have had matching ASIN's from one catalog/site to the other.

It's actually quite frustrating because using the internal audible identifier (it has the same format and length as a true ASIN much like B&N & Kobo internal identifiers mimic ISBN #'s) in the GR ASIN field breaks the Amazon linkage since it's not really a valid ASIN in the Amazon database and you get "sorry we couldn't find that page" which is terrible UI/X. The fact that audible doesn't actually offer their, I'll call it faux ASIN, in the book details and you actually have to pull it out of the URL left me with the impression they didn't necessarily want to emphasize that identifier. Would be much better for everybody all around if audible would use the Amazon catalog ASIN or GR would add a separate field for the audible one so users knew right away which edition they were looking at.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments rivka wrote: "We don't usually bother to add both, but there's no reason to delete them if both are already here."

Thank you for clearing that up!

Tal wrote: "Would be much better for everybody all around if audible would use the Amazon catalog ASIN or GR would add a separate field for the audible one"

We can only live in hope, though an extra field for the Audible ASIN seems a bit excessive to me (not to mention it would probably cause an ungodly amount of trouble down the line).